1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to prepare a SHTF pack. I want to be able to have it handy, and small enough to carry on my back. Let me know what else to include, and if you have one, what you include.

1. Gatorade. Obviously, the bulk and weight of the pack. Right now, have 1 gallon. Will probably switch to water.
2. 21 rounds of .40SW hollowpoints, packed in film cans. Enough for 2 full magazines and one in the chamber.
3. Toothbrush, toothpaste.
4. I had some Datrex (boating/marine) rations but they just expired. Are these things safe to eat for one week straight??? They taste pretty good but not sure if they're healthy. They sure are compact though. Should I substitute with canned food and what kind?
5. Leatherman tool and flashlight. Leatherman is mainly for can opener, but cutters and knife can be handy. Flashlight is a spare Maglite (ugh). My primary is my surefire but I'll get a separate one for the SHTF pack.
6. Lest we forget, a copy of the Constitution and Holy Bible.

When I get a rifle, I'll throw in a few magazines of ammo in there.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
Hi, I'm trying to prepare a SHTF pack. I want to be able to have it handy, and small enough to carry on my back. Let me know what else to include, and if you have one, what you include.

1. Gatorade. Obviously, the bulk and weight of the pack. Right now, have 1 gallon. Will probably switch to water.
2. 21 rounds of .40SW hollowpoints, packed in film cans. Enough for 2 full magazines and one in the chamber.
3. Toothbrush, toothpaste.
4. I had some Datrex (boating/marine) rations but they just expired. Are these things safe to eat for one week straight??? They taste pretty good but not sure if they're healthy. They sure are compact though. Should I substitute with canned food and what kind?
5. Leatherman tool and flashlight. Leatherman is mainly for can opener, but cutters and knife can be handy. Flashlight is a spare Maglite (ugh). My primary is my surefire but I'll get a separate one for the SHTF pack.
6. Lest we forget, a copy of the Constitution and Holy Bible.

When I get a rifle, I'll throw in a few magazines of ammo in there.

An emergency preparedness pack is going to depend on what part of the country you are in at the time the SHTF, as you put it.

This is what I have.

A backpack, with gatorade powder and water purification tabs.
Packing water will depend on location. Unless you are in a desert, water is not that hard to find in America.
A hand held water filter and water bottle.
Power bars and caffeine pills.
First aid kit with splints, eyewash, suture kit, female napkins to absorb blood and use as pressure bandage. Plastic film and stick- to-anything tape for sucking chest wounds.
A Buck knife, 5"
Sunglasses, compass, signal mirror, maps of the wilderness areas in Wa. state.
A battery powered radio and wide band scanner. (so I can keep up with what is going on in the world.)
A set of warm polypro underwear and foldable rain hat and jacket. Head lantern for hiking at night with hands full. Fire starting kit. Backpacking Stove. Fuel bottle. Emergency space blanket for use as a ground cloth, blanket or reflector. Extra boot laces and leather lashes. 50 feet of rapelling rope. Sleeping bag with bivy sack. Sunscreen and insect repellent. Spare charged cell phone batteries and spare change in case I need to use a land line telephone. Condoms, not for the obvious but they make good bandage covers for fingers. And they keep crap out of the end of the rifle.
Antiseptic and analgesic and prescription pain killers. Listorine and tooth brush and a emergency tooth filling and crown repair kit. Dental floss. You would be surprised how fast you can develop gum problems in the wilderness if you dont take care of them.
Pepper spray. Boot liners and insoles. Silicone sealer. $50 dollars in $5 bills.
Here is a pic of the pack I just ordered to replace the old Kelty external frame I had used for years. http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1h/gallery.rei.com/largeimages/654995.jpg

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went to the market and saw some 1 gallon Arrowhead bottles of water...why does this stuff have dates on it?!?!?! Water doesn't expire!

Ideally I'd like to have 1 week of water, but that'll be heavy. I guess that's like 4 gallons.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Skunkabilly,

I'd take a bit more ammo, and if possible add a .22 pistol+ammo. And don't forget a compact cleaning kit, and maybe a few basic parts and basic tools if needed.

Good quality water filter (ceramic and carbon elements). Katadyn makes a good one called the "Combi" filter.
http://www.katadyn.net/

Jerky - beef or game. If vacuum packed (kept dry) it'll last for a long time. It is LIGHT has excellent all round food value. Dried fruit is good too. And vitamin tablets - with extra vit. C and B-complex.

Also, see your doctor; tell him/her you want to make a comprehensive first aid kit for remote trips, and "emergencies".... a broad spectrum antibiotic, and an antibiotic especially for the event of an absessed tooth.

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
If you are planning on living, fighting out in the boonies or in urban areas, you might want to ditch the handgun and get an assault rifle. As the SEAL Navy Chief said, "If you are down to a handgun, your **** is pretty weak."

Or you can plan on getting an assault rifle with your pistol after the SHTF.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It's almost impossible to have too many ziploc baggies.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are missing an important item in your Bug-Out or Bug-Back bag. This is an item that is often forgotten, but only _ONCE_. This is an item for which people will willingly trade ammunition, whiskey, cigarettes and drugs. It is unlikely however that you will get sex for it; however, given the nature of this item, you might not want to trade sex for it anyway. Your life will suck if you do not carry this essential item.

That item is "mountain gold" aka TP or Charmin. I sincerely hope this helps. I recommend carrying a little bit everywhere on your person. You can never have enough.

BTW, a little no-rinse handwash/soap is a good idea also. A quart of Cetaphil can be had at your druggist for a nominal sum.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Two guys are sitting in a duck blind. It's still dark and cold. Suddenly, the chill silence is broken ...
"Hey, Ed. Did you bring any toilet paper?"
"No", says Ed.

There is silence for a few more minutes. Then a slightly urgent voice is heard ...
"Ed, what about paper towels or napkins? Anything like that?"
"No", Ed replies again.

The following silence is shattered by a voice with even greater urgency ...
"Ed, you got a handkerchief you don't need?"
"No!" Ed answers sharply.

A moment later ...
"Ed, you got five ones for a five?"

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here in the mountains most of our survival gear/ammo/twinkies/Mt. Dew, etc is in the front seat of the pickup..If you've got kids you've always got half dead bananas and cookies if you just root around a bit.. And,If things get real bad, you can always eat one of the dogs in the back!!

More seriously, I wouldn,t be without a good water filter {I use a PUR Explorer}, a good bolt gun, and a good knife{Randall mod 15}.
With this stuff, and a lighter, I could get home..From then on things would be OK>>>

·
Registered
73 Posts
Skunk,
Sounds like you've got a good start. A couple of additions I can think of are:
-good pair of heavy work gloves, when we had a tornado around here they were worth their weight in gold.
-a butane lighter, always handy to have some means of making fire.
-some of the prepackaged moist wipes, does wonders for your morale to have a clean face and not feel grubby.
-a large bandana or two, multiple uses, "do" rag, sweat band, make-shift filter to cover your mouth, ties for a splint, bangage etc..
-a large garbage bag, again multiple uses.
-a small first aid kit
-a pre-paid phone card and a list of family and friend phone #'s.
-at least $20.00 emergency cash and a couple dollars in quarters.
I think I'd also switch to carrying water and a few packs of Gatorade if desired with a water bottle to mix it in.
I'd be leary of adding too much, the wieght adds up fast. Also doubt you have need of a battle rifle unless the situation deteriorates severely. Think the cops might have a problem with someone carrying a rifle openly in most situations. I keep a disassembled AR-7 in my truck at all times with a couple loaded spare mags, a box or two of CCI mini-mags, a small bottle of CLP and a bore snake. It fits easily and discretly in my BOB, can be assembled in under a minute and weighs vary little. A good side arm would also be handy and discrete, as I assume you agree with the .40 s&w you've included. One or the other should get you home. My SHTF pack or BOB (Bug out bag)doubles as my overrnight bag so I carry more toiletries, enough for at least a week or so. I also carry a polypro thermal, a light wind jacket, spare shirt, pair of gym shorts, spare socks and underwear. If I'm stuck away from home a night or two i've got enough to get by. It lives behind the seat of my truck and frequently makes life better because of whats inside.
Manny
PS: I also strogly agree with Mr's Wright & Browning, made me realize a big missing item in my BOB. Stopped at Wal-Mart on the way hame tonite and picked up a pack of campers TP. Only $1.76, three rolls about 1" in diameter each that add up to about one regular roll. It now resides in my BOB.

[This message has been edited by Manny (edited 10-27-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts