1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new EMP 40 followed me home, and I kept it. Cleaned it off, oiled it up, and off to the range, which, due to intake of outside air, was about 28 degrees with the heater on. Vent fans must have been working.

I mainly wanted to test for function, get a feel for the gun and controls, and see how I liked it. I ran 200 rounds through, all FMJ, 50 independence, 150 black hills blue box, all 180 grain. I was disapointed with 5 jams, all where a spent case flipped and was caught between the ejection port and the barrel hood, facing back toward me. Other than that the gun ran fine:(.

Impressions:

I was told that the 40 s&w is " snappy", but I found it fairly easy to shoot, less recoil than a 3" .45. I think i like it,and it seems to be a small step up from the 3" 9mm I had.

Accuracy will take some work. The guns POI is well above my POA. I will shoot somemore before I change anything, but at 10 yards, I was aiming 4" low to get the lead in the black. I will try shooting off a rest tommorrow to test it out more.

I was worried that the smooth front strap would make the gun squirly in my hand while shooting. Didn't turn out to be a problem, probably because the G-10 grips are so aggressive.

Trigger started to chafe my finger after 200 rounds where the trigger meets the guard. I need to shoot more to build up a callaous.

I don't know if this is a problem or not- after the jams, I looked at the brass that was being ejected, and the ejector was leaving some serious damage (big ping on the case head) and some of the brass was coming straight back at my face or head. Any wisdom here?

All in all, less than i had hoped for, bu I remain optomistic.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I would clean and relube, fire another 50 rounds. It sounds like the gun is slightly out of time and needs the extractor tuned. My .40 was great out of the box. but my 9mm had issues out of the box. SA will fix that gun and have it back to you double quick! Just call up customer service and explain the situation and they will email you a call tag for shipping and give you a RMA #. They had my 9mm back to me in perfect working order in 9 days!

·
Registered
551 Posts
As far as the malfunctions, I really don't know what to tell you. The gun really isn't broken in yet with only 200 rounds so maybe a few hundred more will iron out some of the issue. Maybe not...

You may also want to try some 155g or 165g bullet to help reduce the recoil a little. They may also eliminate the issues you were having being that the lighter bullets are shorter.

As far as your finger chaffing... I think you may have too much finger on the trigger. If it's pinching your finger at the bottom, you either have some large fingers or you've got too much on the trigger.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the malfunctions, I really don't know what to tell you. The gun really isn't broken in yet with only 200 rounds so maybe a few hundred more will iron out some of the issue. Maybe not...

You may also want to try some 155g or 165g bullet to help reduce the recoil a little. They may also eliminate the issues you were having being that the lighter bullets are shorter.

As far as your finger chaffing... I think you may have too much finger on the trigger. If it's pinching your finger at the bottom, you either have some large fingers or you've got too much on the trigger.
I got me some big paws, but I think it is more just lack of range time lately and super dry weather. I'm not really woried about that one.

I figured that I would clean and run another hundred rounds through, maybe a different brand.

Any input on the marks on the brass?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Thanx for the report. I'm thinking of getting an emp, but if I do, can't decide on the caliber. How's the 40cal's recoil, say compared to the m&p40compact? Has anyone here fired both? I have the mp40c, & this comparison would give me a better understanding.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
I got me some big paws, but I think it is more just lack of range time lately and super dry weather. I'm not really woried about that one.

I figured that I would clean and run another hundred rounds through, maybe a different brand.

Any input on the marks on the brass?
Can you post a pic of what marks you're referring to?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanx for the report. I'm thinking of getting an emp, but if I do, can't decide on the caliber. How's the 40cal's recoil, say compared to the m&p40compact? Has anyone here fired both? I have the mp40c, & this comparison would give me a better understanding.

I've never fired an M&P 40 Compact but I can tell you that my EMP is a true pleasure with 165G and 155g ammo.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update-
I talked with one of the customer service people, and she put me through to one of the tech people. I told him what problems I had, and he walked me through checking the extractor tension, and how to disassemble and adjust it. He said that if that didn't work, they would handle it, including shipping. Extractor had 0 tension on it when I checked, so I tightened it up. Hopefully, that will do it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you post a pic of what marks you're referring to?
I will try. the picture post is not my best thing, but I guess its time I bit the bullet, so to speak.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I've never fired an M&P 40 Compact but I can tell you that my EMP is a true pleasure with 165G and 155g ammo.

hmmm thanx. i have federal hst 165grn jhp's that i like to use. i just called a local gunshop, and they have a emp40cal for $1,039....

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Haven't tried the M&P, but my buddy loves his new XDm in 40. He got the 3.8" verrson and described the recoil as a "push" right into the top of the web of his hand. He likes it. I didn't shoot it (yet!) but he warned me if i did, I would want one.....

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update-
After fixing the extractor, I went back to the range.
ALL BETTER!

Another 200 rounds:180gr fmj, 165gr fmj, 180 JHP. All fed fine, no more stovepipes, no more case in the face.

I also put some skateboard tape on the grip. Better groups, no more sore finger (I think it was moveing more than I realized). Shot up several targets, and it is still hitting high from POA, but much tighter grouping. Afew hunderd more, some from the bench, and we will see about adjusting something besides my hands.

Overall- Much more satisfied with my purchase than yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Slide won't lock

I bought one this weekend and got a chance to shoot it today. The first two magazines ran perfectly and the accuracy was much better than expected. After I shot my third magazine the slide failed to lock open. I figured it was just a new gun breaking in. After I removed the magazine, I tried to lock the slide open. Now all of a sudden the slide will not move back far enough for the slide stop to engage. Any ideas?

I plan on calling Sprinfield in the morning. From what I have heard their customer service is wonderful, but it is a drag to spend a $1000 and 24 rounds later have a problem.

With that said, I also bought a Sig RCS. I shot 500 rounds thru it and it was perfect.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I bought one this weekend and got a chance to shoot it today. The first two magazines ran perfectly and the accuracy was much better than expected. After I shot my third magazine the slide failed to lock open. I figured it was just a new gun breaking in. After I removed the magazine, I tried to lock the slide open. Now all of a sudden the slide will not move back far enough for the slide stop to engage. Any ideas?

I plan on calling Sprinfield in the morning. From what I have heard their customer service is wonderful, but it is a drag to spend a $1000 and 24 rounds later have a problem.

With that said, I also bought a Sig RCS. I shot 500 rounds thru it and it was perfect.

you know i noticed the 40cal emp i looked at was exceedingly tight. i just assumed there would be some break in "issues" as a result. pulling back the slide far enough to engage the slide stop was difficult.

prob all that's wrong with yours, just needs some breakin, my friend. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
one word of caution for anyone considering sending a gun back to the SA factory right now...

If the gun needs to be test fired, there might be a delay due to weather. The factory doesn't have an indoor range, and during bad weather (like the snowstorm WI and IL just got slammed with today) the factory personnel sometimes can't get out to the range for a while.

I sent my EMP back around this time last night to have the sights replaced. It took about a month to be returned due to their range being closed.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't notice "exceedingly tight" but they put one hell of a spring in that little thing....

·
Registered
290 Posts
My EMP 40 cal has been perfect to shoot. No problems what so ever. However, it is currently back @ SA for some minor mods. I'm having he front strap checkered. Also, the safety seemed a little soft to me, so, I'm going to have the safety changed to single side and replace the ambi safety.

I've got appx 250 round thru her but there have been no problems. Hope I don't jinx this little gun I really like it. And INMHO a very nice shooting 40 cal. The EMP and a Browning HighPower 40 cals are the only 40's I own. I enjoy both a lot...

Also, had the 9mm EMP for a while and it was perfect. I traded it off for something, not even sure what now...But, if the 9mm comes back, It will be @ home and travel no more.. I really enjoy my EMP's...

tonys

·
Registered
6 Posts
I called Sprinfield today and they were very helpful. It seems one of the springs on my guide rod is binding up and preventing the slide from being able to lock. They said they would ship me out a new one today. They were very helpful and their customer service is wondeful.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I called Sprinfield today and they were very helpful. It seems one of the springs on my guide rod is binding up and preventing the slide from being able to lock. They said they would ship me out a new one today. They were very helpful and their customer service is wondeful.
good to hear, my friend. glad to hear you didn't have to send it in. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts