1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I shoot our SA 9mm 1911s a great deal and she's justifiably concerned about using one of our M&P 9mm handguns for HD for all the obvious reasons. We're really limited in California in terms of 9mm 1911s so the EMP looks like a reasonable option. The recoil will be greater than what she's used to but it's still a 27 oz handgun unloaded. We're going to rent one next week and see how it goes, but I'd be interested in what other's think. This might also be a carry option should she decide to get a CCW.

(The only full-size 9mm 1911 left on our "roster" is a Kimber and there are no commander 9mm 1911s available).

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have had mine for quite a while. Shot it today. It's my summer EDC, winter is a ROC compact. sent it to SACS for a defense package, and checkering. They also pinned the ejector. It eats everything but my new recipe. Need to fine tune the reloads. I would buy another one. BTW Amanda at SACS uses hers as her EDC. That was a good enough recommendation for me.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
My wife's been carrying her EMP for six years. It's got somewhere around 8k rounds and gets about 400 rounds a month. She really like the EMP.

·
Banned
608 Posts
...she's justifiably concerned about using one of our M&P 9mm handguns for HD for all the obvious reasons...
I guess I'm oblivious then, what's wrong with the M&P 9mm and if it's wrong why do you own multiple?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I guess I'm oblivious then, what's wrong with the M&P 9mm and if it's wrong why do you own multiple?
I'm just guessing. I shoot my 1911 way more than anything else I shoot. I want my carry weapon to function in the same manner or as close as I can get to my 1911. The M&P is a fine weapon it simply doesn't function like a 1911.

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Wife and I shoot our SA 9mm 1911s a great deal and she's justifiably concerned about using one of our M&P 9mm handguns for HD for all the obvious reasons. We're really limited in California in terms of 9mm 1911s so the EMP looks like a reasonable option. The recoil will be greater than what she's used to but it's still a 27 oz handgun unloaded. We're going to rent one next week and see how it goes, but I'd be interested in what other's think. This might also be a carry option should she decide to get a CCW.

(The only full-size 9mm 1911 left on our "roster" is a Kimber and there are no commander 9mm 1911s available).

California go figure . I was thinking as much time as you and your wife
have trigger time behind the Full size 9mm ro you would opt for a champion
ro in 9mm or the compact ro in 9mm . Then I read the last part of your post
and it all made sense .:)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't own any M&P pistols but have handled them and shot one. Seems like a decent pistol to me. It is my understanding ATF chose the M&P for their sidearm and that S & W is one of the top contenders for a bid with Army. Whether decision made is unknown to me.

Anyhow, I would be interested in what the obvious reasons are since I know several people who own M & Ps and would like to share this with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtompki View Post
...she's justifiably concerned about using one of our M&P 9mm handguns for HD for all the obvious reasons...

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We started off with M&Ps and bought "back-ups" as SSE was being closed down (Single-Shot Exemption). There are professional M&P trigger jobs (Burwell) that are very highly regarded and I might just go ahead and have that done to my wife's M&P 9. Our SA 9mm 1911s are set up for competition with light mainsprings so I wouldn't want to run factory ammo (hard ball or JHP) through the guns. Best bet I think is to get and M&P running so my wife is comfortable with same; I'll get the work done and we'll work on it as part of our regular practice routine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts