1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this might be a timely question - Springfield EMP or Kimber Ultra Carry for IWB carry? The EMP seems a bit thinner and "better" balanced, but the Kimber isn't too shabby and is a .45 and all...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I have both the EMP and a Kimber Ultra CDP, and it's a toss-up. The both have their good and bad points.

I like the grip of the EMP better because it is shorter front to back than a Kimber, and the Kimber will also be thicker through the grips, because it does not come with slim grips. The EMP comes with slim grips.

You get two extra rounds of with the EMP(10rnd), but the Kimber(8rnd) is a .45. The Kimber will take any .45 officer mags, but the EMP mags are available only from SA, (for now at least.) The Kimber only comes with 1 mag, the EMP comes with 3, (at least mine did.)

The Kimber has a Swartz safety, the EMP is a 70 Series.

The Kimber has a nicer "melt" job, especialy the thumb safety, which can rub against your skin with an IWB holster. The EMP has a NASTY Wilson tactical ambi thumb safety that is very sharp-edged. (First thing I replaced!)

Try to see if you can test shoot them both. I think your choice will really come down to personal preference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if something that small is "better" suited to 9mm's.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have both and the difference is minuscule. The major trade off is .45ACP vs 9MM. However the 9MM carries more rounds and in a self defense situation, i personally think that 9MM is practically as good as .45 ACP. A lot of good Militaries and Police around the world believe very strongly in the 9MM.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
parallax said:
I have both the EMP and a Kimber Ultra CDP, and it's a toss-up. The both have their good and bad points.

I like the grip of the EMP better because it is shorter front to back than a Kimber, and the Kimber will also be thicker through the grips, because it does not come with slim grips. The EMP comes with slim grips.

You get two extra rounds of with the EMP(10rnd), but the Kimber(8rnd) is a .45. The Kimber will take any .45 officer mags, but the EMP mags are available only from SA, (for now at least.) The Kimber only comes with 1 mag, the EMP comes with 3, (at least mine did.)

The Kimber has a Swartz safety, the EMP is a 70 Series.

The Kimber has a nicer "melt" job, especialy the thumb safety, which can rub against your skin with an IWB holster. The EMP has a NASTY Wilson tactical ambi thumb safety that is very sharp-edged. (First thing I replaced!)

Try to see if you can test shoot them both. I think your choice will really come down to personal preference.

DITTO!! (except I didn't replace my ambi safety)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One of my students had the EMP in my last class and I finally got to handle/shoot one. For a little 9mm, the gun had a nice feel and was easily manipulated between targets and reloads...

If I wanted a nice 9mm back-up, I wouldn't turn my back on the EMP...

Price-wise, SA is sure proud of their newly-designed handgun. My guy said he got it on the far side of $900.00, which I found out later is about the going rate around here...

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Had nothing but good times with my CDP II. Been reliable and accurate, well put together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts