1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, my SA Champion has been having failures such that the empty brass somehow gets stuck in the magazine feed lips and won't budge....it takes a bit of elbow grease to get 'em out. Seems to happen on the last round. Any ideas why I might be having this problem and what it is?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jam

Not enough extractor tension or the extractor is rotating and
drops the brass down on the follower. The extractor hook holds
on and tries to put it back under the feed lips. Last round is where it will happen because before the last round theres a round under it to keep if from dropping.

C-Buff

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mag problems

....Along with possible extractor problems your mags are probably swelling allowing the cartridge head to come up (or down with an empty)in between the mag lips which jams the bullet against the feed ramp and locks up the gun...The feed lips act like a "wire end cutter" would and trap the bullet in between and separate the feed lips making the top of the mag wider than the magwell openning...I call it a catastrophic failure!!!...Basically you are "screwed" if this happens in a life or death situation since you can't get the mag out of the gun. The gun then becomes a club... Measure the width of your mags...they should be at .538"(is spec)to .545"...over .545" and I would replace them. A temporary fix is to place them in a vice and squeeze them back to size. However , if it has happened once it will again...you have no control over the heat treat of the metal. I have had it happen with Wilson and CMC power mags...to the companies credit they replaced them immediately at no charge but that is after the fact. So, I would suggest that you check your mags on a regular basis. The other thing to check along with width is the width of the magwell openning in the frame. If the mags are not dropping out when released the width of the frame is too narrow(if the mag width is correct) and/or there is not enuf room for debris which will slow the drop of the mag. I have found for my personal use after going through the same problems on a Custom Caspian(which I might add was very embarassing since it was at a Tactical shooting course) that I had to open up the magwell in the frame as well as check the mags. That is a lot of hand filing. I openned the frame well up to .560"-.562"from .550"which solved the problem for me. I use these measurements as a guide now for my guns. The .538" measurement which I quoted you is courtesy of Virgil Tripp at Tripp Research:)
Hope this helps you with your problem...
Barry:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, it does help, thanks to both of you.....looks like I'm just going to have to send this thing in for some work...the extractor has been giving me problems since day one.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Search my user name in conjunction with the term TLE. I had this problem. There was no real diagnosis, but Kimber replaced the gun for free. I hypothesized the extractor (as did Kimber) but it wasn't that. I called Bill Laughridge (C&S) and he said it was rare, but thought it was a mis-cut breechface, which requires a slide replacement to fix. Good luck.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Novembre

Do you have calipers with which you can measure the breechface? Width should be .480-.490"although I was speaking to Pistolwrench the other day and he has taken them to .500" without any problem. Right now you are grasping at "straws,"
searching for an answer, but without the knowledge of how the gun is set up, some basic measurements, and what you are dealing with you will have problems diagnosing....no flames intended here just stating the obvious to save you a bunch of aggravation. Right now the people that have responded to your thread cannot get specific since the problem could be several little things acting together and without more info it is hard to diagnose the problem....so, "measure twice and cut once" and only when you know what is causing the problem.
Barry

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bjg: um, i said i was going to send it to a pistolsmith.....that would be much more helpful than me, one who is inexperienced with this kind of stuff, attempting to "grasp at straws."

·
Registered
713 Posts
Novembre

...Like i said no flames intended ...I thought if you had calipers we could walk you through some of this and maybe eliminate some possibilities and narrow it down for you...by all means send it to a knowledgeable "1911 'smith." The whole idea of this forum is to help and not to hinder...Please let us know what happens...
Barry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts