1911Forum banner

EMS guide rod removal?

882 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  labuyo
A friend of mine just recently purchased a feild grade EMS , the commander style. When i went to show him how to break it down i noticed the full length guide rod and spring had a bushing. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove it? I could not get it to budge. I thought about a bushing wrench but i can't see how you would get on it. I looked through the maual and it said to pull the spring back and rotate it clockwise. Geez i needed three hands to try and get it lol. Anyway and help would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,492 Posts
ced said:
A friend of mine just recently purchased a feild grade EMS , the commander style. When i went to show him how to break it down i noticed the full length guide rod and spring had a bushing. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove it? I could not get it to budge. I thought about a bushing wrench but i can't see how you would get on it. I looked through the maual and it said to pull the spring back and rotate it clockwise. Geez i needed three hands to try and get it lol. Anyway and help would be greatly appreciated.
ced,

Check the end of the rod near the muzzel. If it requires a wrench then you know for sure it's a two piece rod instead of a one. If it's a two piece then remove the front section of the rod using a wrench and them proceed to remove the bushing in the conventional way. If it's a one piece then using your right hand retract the slide until the half moon slide stop remove notch is aligned andthen pull the slide stop straing out. After that verrrry slowly let the slide forward and make sure under tension put you thumb under the recoil spring and tension it and pull the slide straight off. To reassemble just do everything in reverse. It require allot of practice and sweat but it'll also strengthen you hands. Believe me if I can do it you can. :)

rimfire,22

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rimfire. After doing some looking around i think it has what is called a reverse plug. It is definately a one peice guide rod, but i can not remove the plug which means that i cannot remove the guide rod and barrel. Is it just that it is too tight from being new or what? I am gonna bring his pistol home this weekend and try and break it in and give it a thorough cleaning. He is having some issues with failure to feed. I thought at first it was the magazine's but i think now that it just needs to be broke in. If some one could help me with the plug removal it would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
412 Posts
Are you sure it has a bushing on the barrel? My EMS doesn't have a barrel bushing but it does have what looks like a bushing on the guide rod. Look for a little hole in the guide rod when the slide is held back. I custom bent a paper clip to fit this hole. I rack the slide back, put the clip in the hole, release the slide and the spring is captured in the compressed mode. I then take the slide off and continue disassembly.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
ced said:
Thanks rimfire. After doing some looking around i think it has what is called a reverse plug. It is definately a one peice guide rod, but i can not remove the plug which means that i cannot remove the guide rod and barrel. Is it just that it is too tight from being new or what? I am gonna bring his pistol home this weekend and try and break it in and give it a thorough cleaning. He is having some issues with failure to feed. I thought at first it was the magazine's but i think now that it just needs to be broke in. If some one could help me with the plug removal it would be greatly appreciated.

ced,

If you indeed have a "reverse plug" then your only course is to dissemble it like a pro. Using one hand grab the slide and hold it back until the slide stop notch lines up with the slide stopand push it out towards the left and remive the slide stop entirely. Then using your left hand remove the sldide forward just wnough for the recoil spring to show at the dust cover. Grasp the slide with the hand and push on the recoils spring with you thumb otherwise it'll fly out and may injure someone. That is the only way I know how to dissemble that type of 45.

rimfire,22

· Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I gave my recently purchased 4" (as in today) a once-over, and after removing the slide, found the same situation. So, it looks like I'm gonna hafta buy a couple of tools to make this easier than a bent paperclip. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys thanks a bunch! Labuyo that is just what i was looking for. I have stripped several 1911's and this is the first time i have ran into somthing like this. Once again thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.