1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After firing 200 rounds of S&B FMJ through my 1911 at the range I cleaned the bore with a bronze brush and SC bore cleaner #7, followed by patches. I dip the brush into the SC, make 10-15 passes through the bore, wait 5-10 minutes, then pass a clean patch. The first few brush/SC#7 then patch cycles removed the fouling, with further cycles returning green-blue stained patches which I thought was copper removed from the bore. However, the "copper" staining did not decrease after about 6 more cycles. Since I learned that the copper remover also reacts with the bronze brush, I tried a nylon brush with the SC#7, and the next patch was white.

So, does the SC#7 really react with the bronze so much that I can't tell when I've removed all the copper from the bore. The nylon brushes don't seem to scrub the bore as well, but should I be using them instead? Do you use bronze to remove the fouling, then nylon to remove the copper?

Thanks for your help.

Alan

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
You're right, you probably are seeing traces of the bronze brush after you've scrubbed the bore a few times. I would simply eyeball the bore after brushing and patching a couple times. If you can't see any fouling where the lands meet the grooves, your bore is probably clean. Then just go to patches and solvent only until you get no more fouling appearing on the patch.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't dip the brush in the bottle. You're dissolving the brush and contaminating the solvent.

Swab the bore with a wet patch, brush the bore and clean the brush with aerosol or alcohol. Then dry-patch the bore and repeat as neccessary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe the bore of a firearm is coated with alternate layers of copper and powder fouling. I pour SC #7 into bore (per customer service at SC) and run a bronze brush through 20-50 times, depending on how much I've shot the gun. Then I wet patch twice and then dry patch. I repeat this process until the patches don't come out with black fouling. At that point I believe all the fouling has been removed. I repeat the process once for good measure, dry and lube the bore. Once after using this methodI filled the bore with SC #7 and left it soak for a day. I then ran a patch through the bore which came out without any blue color, This proved (to me) that my method had done the job. But I sure would appreciate any comments about "something I may be missing".
Martyu

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the help. I'll try your suggestions following my next trip to the range.

Alan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts