1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking advice on what would be a decent scope for my Ruger 10/22 carbine. The only criteria are that it be less than $125 and stand up to the elements pretty well. It will be used for rabbit hunting and 50 yd target shooting. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
633 Posts
There's basically low-end scope makers: Tasco, BSA, Target Sports, Bushnell, Simmons, and a couple others I can't think of.
I would recommend Simmons. Their Master Series scopes are great, probably the best bang for the buck out there, IMO. I own 2 Master Series Aetec 4-14x44 SF IR scopes, and they stand up to recoil, the rigors of hunting here in the mountains, and water/fog perfectly. I paid $220 for mine. I also have a 3-9x33 Simmons , pro hunter maybe? I forgot the model, it's 10 years old (I paid $70 for it when I was 14) and it's STILL as clear as the day I got it, I use it as a spare if something happens to one of my best ones. Right now I have it on an old Remington M552 Speedmaster .22LR (my first .22), and I haven't had to adjust it's 100 yd zero for over 6 years now.
BSA's have a lot of magnification for low price. The glass is crap though. You can get a 6-24x50 BSA for like $100, but once you zoom in over say, 12-14x, image clarity goes out the door, and mirage is almost unbearable. I also hear that BSA uses PLASTIC cogs in the adjustments... I don't know that for sure, but for that price, you can't ever tell... might be ok for a .22 target rifle, but I wouldnt trust one for hunting.
Bushnell seems to be ok as well. Wal-Mart carries those Bushnell Banner Dusk till Dawn 6-18x50mm scopes, their big and heavy, last I checked they were like $118, but they seem to be good buys. My brother uses one on a .300 WSM. Don't know about other models.
I havent ever had a Tasco that I kept. Never had one break on me, I was just always embarrased to go to the range with the brand name "Tasco" on my stuff ;)
And I never tried Target Sports (CDNN) brand stuff, though I hear that its adequate.
I always try to spend at LEAST half the cost of the rifle on a scope. Remember, the most important feature of a scope (IMO) is the glass. What kind of multicoated lenses it has. NOT the magnification. All that magnification is for nothing if the image looks like crap.
For rabbit hunting, I wouldn't mind having a fixed power scope, in the 1.5x-4x max range.. but for target shooting, you'll want more. My favorite scope power is 4 - 16 (4-14 on cheaper ones), with that power, I can shoot at 50 yard targets, or 1000 yard targets.. but for rabbit hunting, you want fast target acquisition = low magnification. A 3-9x would probably suit you best. Maybe even a 2-7x. Hope this helps! Sorry for the long post, sometimes I ramble... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Look into the Niko Sterling, most can be had for well under a 100$ I had the niko sterling gold crown I think it was, and I see them on cdnn for pretty cheap. Mine was on a 30/06, but took it off after year when I moved up here to WA, were I hunt is heavily wooded and I am better of with iron sights, but I have no complaints with it. Had nice glass, really clear, sharp immage that didn't diminish with magnification, also had 1/8 moa adjustments and an adjustable objective for paralax(sp?)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting a good deal on a 3-9x32 Weaver Classic with adjustable objective. I'll be sighting it in this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts