1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used an EOtech sight? I am thinking about getting one. The magazine reviews I have seen seem to be pretty favorable about them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
First off, welcome to the Forum.

I have the Bushnell Holosite, which is essentially the same thing. I THINK one makes the other, but I'm not sure which it is.

I love mine. The reticle has a circular sight for close in tactical situations with a center red dot, for reaching out and touching someone. Battery life is decent, but I always keep spares just in case.

The batteries is one of downsides. Alot of people prefer a site that doesn't rely on batteries like the expensive ACOG and one other whose name escapes me at the moment.

Another downside is it's size. If you are putting it on an AR type rifle with carrying handle, you might have problems co-witnessing it with your iron sights. It's ideal on a flat top receiver, as I found out when I shot a friends flat top AR w/ an EOtech.

If you are going to use it in a tactical LE situation, or for plinking, I think you might like it, since you normally have prep time to check batteries and put in fresh one if necessary.

If it's for home defense, or in any situation where you might have to use in a hurry, the chance of finding a dead set of batteries might not be worth it if you can't get it to co-witness with your iron sights.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Welcome to the 1911 Forum, CQB Dave! :)

I've been using an EOTech 552 for my Springfield Scout Squad M1A this past year. It's nearly unlimited eye relief makes it a terific match for the Scout Squad with its forward mounted scope rail. I recommend this sight without reservation. I chose the 552 because that is one of the models that utilizes AA batteries which are easy to find. The battery life is in the hundreds of hours and with a pair of spares in your gear your set for anywhere but the most desolate places on earth.

A great feature of the EOTech is the wide field of view it provides and the ability to shoot with both eyes open while using it. There are some very good red dot scopes on the market however some of them have you looking through a tube which imo limits your field of view.

Last summer I used it for a two day tactical carbine class and it performed wonderfully. Target acquisition proved to be extremely fast when compared side by side with Aimpoints, ACOGs, Reflexs and iron sights. All of the red dots were vastly superior for low light shooting when compared to iron sights too.

clic pic

·
Banned
256 Posts
Dave, Welcom aboard.

I personally prefer the Aimpoint Comp M2/ML2 series of sights to the EOTech. The latter has 2 problems as I see it:

(1) The reticle of the EOTech has never seemed sharp to me, but appears grainy and out of focus.

(2) If you're wearing gloves the buttons are almost impossible to manipulate.

The Aimpoint has a nice sharp dot and can be used fairly easily with gloves on. This, of course, may not be an issue for you. If the reticle on the EOTech doesn't bother you and you don't care about using it with gloves, then it is otherwise an excellent sight.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had an Eotech 511 on my flat top AR for about a year or so and the only weakness I saw with it was it only had one attachment to hold it on. I never had a problem with it and I'm sure it would be fine. They are being abused in the military so they can't be that bad. I had the N battery model and dead batteries weren't a problem. I have not used a Aimpoint so I can't compare.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
marvl you may have used an early model of the EOTech or perhaps one of the lower end versions. When they improved its waterproof seal they also improved the function buttons which makes them more tactile and easy to operate with gloves. The new buttons are the raised rubber style similar to what's used on many tv remote controls.

From the EOTech website:

33ft. Upgrade
All M550 have been upgraded to submersible 33 ft. water depth. Within this same feature upgrade, the membrane pad has been redesigned to greatly improve the tactile feel of the push button switches. The switches are designed with raised inlays to provide further separation between switch controls and reduce audible signature

Model 550 AA with new switches

clic pic

·
Registered
27,699 Posts
I have the 552 on an M4 from RRA and just think it is great. I see no problems with dead batteries. (1000 hrs life is a long time and they are just AA's, change them out a 3 or 4 times a year). My recticle is very sharp and the outside ring is as fast as anything I have seen for CQB games (and the real thing but I just shoot cardboard). The inside dot is 1MOA compared to a 4MOA on an Aimpoint. 4 MOA covers 4" at 100 yds, making it difficult for precise shots at anything over that distance IMO.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Let me chime in here. My "go to" AR has an Aimpoint Comp/ML on a G.G.&G. rail. It was the best thing going when I bought it. I tried the Bushnell Holosight (same exact sightas the EOTech, but without a protective hood) on another of my AR's last year and found that I could pick up the riticle much faster with the Holosight than I could with the Aimpoint. Also, the Holo mounts right to the flattop for a perfect co-witness with a flip up rear sight. The Aimpoint needed the raised rail. The one thing that made me return the Holosight was the now-upgraded damned buttons! I had a heck of a time using them.

But for SHTF use, you can have your head offset further with the EOTech and still see the reticle. You have to be pretty well behind the Aimpoint to see the reticle. The one thing I didn't check was the front signature of the Holosight. One of the most frightning moments of my life came one late night when I was holding on an armed suspect through a window. He was no more that 15 feet from me as I followed his movements through the house. At one point, the angle was perfect and I saw my red dot reflecting off the window! If he'd have looked, he'd have seen it the whole time. A Tenebraex kill flash would eliminate that, but I'm not sure if the EOTech/Holosight has the same problem.

My sometime-this-year plan is to sell the Aimpoint and the rail and replace them with the EOTech.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
tpiini said:
The one thing I didn't check was the front signature of the Holosight. ... but I'm not sure if the EOTech/Holosight has the same problem.
I had that concern as well but found that it isn't a problem with the EOTech.

Copied from EOTech's website

Today's F-14 Tomcats use holographic heads-up technology to meet the requirement for super fast, accurate target acquisition. It has been proven by TopGun fighter pilots throughout the world.
The HOLOgraphic Weapon Sight (HWS) is the 1st electro-optic sighting system to apply holographic technology to small and medium-sized weapon platforms. When used in Close Quarters Battle (CQB) environments, this revolutionary weapon optic delivers amazing speed and accuracy gains, uncompromising use of peripheral vision, leaves no muzzle-side optical signature and is packaged in a compact, durable unit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love mine.

Nothing more to say :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, talk about wierd timing. I just got an Email from a friend of mine who is heading to the middle east. He mentioned having an EOTech on his M-16A2.

I guess if it's good enough for the 101'st...

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I have had and still have a number of EOTech sights. They will indeed work on a flat top 1913 Picatinny Rail and co witness the front post and a BUIS.

As for a Carry Handle mount you are limited to the one EOTech makes as none of the others seem to get it low enough. Well, the Bernie Coolley might but I don't care for cams, wiggets, and wallygags that could come loose at the wrong time.

As for batteries.......I keep spares with everything that requires a battery.

As for Batteries in a HD weapon....that is best left up to the disapline of the owner of the weapon.

Just my opinion but if one stays up to snuff on his or her ready capabilities......a dead battery shouldn't happen.

If if does then you should have a BUIS because anything can happen and will happen and the wrong moment :confused:

Something like the ARMS #40, GG&G MAD or the DPMS offering do come highly recommended.

KAC and their 300/600 Meter flip up is a little over rated and could be fragile if knocked around.

Ya, I own a KAC 300 (it works) and a GG&G MAD.

I see a lot of posts with folks trying to make this work here and that work there.........Russian sights wont work on an AR, believe me I tried.

Below is my BM Dissapator with a 1st Gen 450 LE sight.

Karsten

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have always wondered if the front post interferes when mounted low as several of these pictures show. Any input on that?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
The post is visable but does not effect the field of veiw. The Red Dot reticle sits at the top of the front post.

So it the sight itself malfunctioned you would just look through the sight and use the Irons.

Same is true with low magnifacation scopes with powers below 5X.

However above 5X the scope makes the front post invisable as it want focus on any object that close. So again the front post have no bareing on function.

In my opinion it is always better to have the fixed front post with any type of weapons sight or optical scope.

With the BUIS you are never left holding a usless weapon dues to battery failure or damaged unit.

Karsten

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have an Aimpoint ML2 on my MP5 which at one time sported a 552. I found when transitioning from shade or indoors to outdoors I was always fooling with the EO trying to get the reticle brightness right. I have witnessed others with this problem.

I also feel the Aimpoint is much more streamlined and mated up with the iron sights better on the MP5

1 - 18 of 18 Posts