1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyones opinion on Essex Frames and Slides? I would like to build my own 1911 and would really like to use Caspian but the price is holding me back. I then found the Essex site and saw that they are a whole lot less expensive. How does the Essex compare to the Caspian?

·
Registered
709 Posts
People tend to dog the older Essex frames, but I have built6 guns using their frames and have been very satisfied, I have used a variety of slides from military surplus to new Colt from CDNN, but only one Essex slide, and have been content with the way they turn out.

That being said, both are cast, and it is said they will not hold up, but one I did last spring has 1,000 rounds throught it with no sign of trouble, and now I am working on one of their Detonics chopped frames that is going to be slick when it is done.

Hope this helps- they have been is business for years, the first gun I did using their frame was in 1977.

Where are you in Wyoming? I am from Cheyenne.

Byrd

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Byrd said:
People tend to dog the older Essex frames, but I have built6 guns using their frames and have been very satisfied, I have used a variety of slides from military surplus to new Colt from CDNN, but only one Essex slide, and have been content with the way they turn out.

That being said, both are cast, and it is said they will not hold up, but one I did last spring has 1,000 rounds throught it with no sign of trouble, and now I am working on one of their Detonics chopped frames that is going to be slick when it is done.

Hope this helps- they have been is business for years, the first gun I did using their frame was in 1977.

Where are you in Wyoming? I am from Cheyenne.

Byrd
Thanks for all the info! I to am from Cheyenne so I may have to hit you up when I finally get around to building the gun :) Either that or maybe I could talk you into putting it together for some cash :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my first post, but I have broused a lot and already done several different things with handguns and rifles. No expert by any stretch, but I love doing my own stuff.

I just received a Stainless steel essex frame. The finish is nice, it is a brushed stainless. That being said I will have to do some fitting to the grip safety area. The Magazine release hole seems a tad low but I have not completely checked out this one. I have a much older essex frame (the guy I bought it from said 70s or 80s) that the hole is low in, I just welded up a mag catch and then filed it to fit. The slide I am using is a commander length and it slides very easily onto the rails. The area where the link pin and the barrel sit into seems a little tight and may have to be widend just a hair. I do not consider these serious issues since I paid less for it then a 40 or 80%. Plus I like working on these kind of things

·
Registered
709 Posts
Schapman45 - I would love to help, working on .45's is my joy in life! The problem is, I live in Kansas now! I would be glad to help through e-mail & PM's though.

Look for help & advice on this forum-there are folks with years of knowledge & experience that are willing to lend advice.

Keep us posted on your project, one thing I have learned is that when building a .45 each is both similar & different.

Byrd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts