1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this in. It was found in an estate sale and needed a new home. Wear marks on the barrel leave no real doubt that it is original to the gun. I hadn't even noticed the small pits in the bore until I saw the photos. Wear marks on the bottom of the hammer/top of the spur and the slide catch lever/frame indicate they are original as well. Somebody had disassembled the piece and when putting it back together switched the MSH and hammer pin so I had to disassemble and put them back in the right hole. I was a little concerned that this had a checkered MSH but I visited Scott Gahimer's site and saw a few that were a little later than this one with the same. I understand that this is still a transitional phase and so believe a checkered MSH would be correct. Included the holster which was a bit beat up so I cleaned it up a little with some saddle soap. Can't guarantee the pair has been together forever, but I suspect they have and that is why I hate to break them apart. Included was a two-tone Risdon mag. (The little drops you see on the finish in some of the photos was from a rain swell that swept in just as I was finishing up taking the photos - she got a nice CLP bath after the photo shoot!)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
I would be very happy with that!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Nice one. That is the latest serial numbered pistol I have seen with a Checkered MSH. Good find. I am not sure why the 1944 vintage Colts are so hard to find but I see very few. Congratulations.

·
Administrator
73,054 Posts
Geez some of you guys are lucky, finding these mid-war Colts everywhere. That's another nice one. Supposedly the wide-spur hammer and checkered mainspring disappeared by around 1.7 million, but it the newer components were phased as the old parts dried up so it's hard to determine when the change had occurred for good. I used to own a mint '44 in the 1.61 million range that still had all checkered parts including the milled trigger. I've seen pistols lower than that with the stamped trigger.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
That's another nice one...congrats!

Look at the shiny spot in your 3rd photo, over the last 3 digits of the serial number. That's from the holster clasp. I'd say they've been together for a long time.

Nice detail photos, too. There's no denying the wear marks.

Good for you, brother! Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the comments. I have to attribute my knowledge mainly to what I have gained from this forum. The books are a great reference, but the knowledge shared here really goes beyond what you read in them. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts