1911Forum banner

Etiquette - Borrowing guns

3059 45
Newbie question: I am getting into bullseye shooting. I've got a .22 and making good progress and now I've got the 1911 bug. I'm saving my pennies for a good bullseye .45 1911 but I'm probably 60 mos to a year away.

So what's the etiquette around asking a friend to borrow his .45 on an extended loan (e.g. until I get mine). He is an older guy who doesn't shoot much anymore. He's got a couple of 1911's, std govt models, at least one is "property of US govt". Of course I'd trest it with kid gloves. What I'm looking for is something so I can train for the outdoor 2700 matches.

My instinct tells me the answer is "ARE YOU CRAZY?" but hope springs enternal I guess....
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Administrator
80,886 Posts
I would NEVER loan any firearm of mine to another person, not even a friend or family member. Guess who's going to get into trouble if there is an accident with it, it's lost/stolen, or a crime is committed?

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
dsk said:
I would NEVER loan any firearm of mine to another person, not even a friend or family member. Guess who's going to get into trouble if there is an accident with it, it's lost/stolen, or a crime is committed?
Nor would I.

· Registered
2,935 Posts
I would cheerfully allow almost anybody to shoot a match with one of mine but

I would cheerfully allow almost anybody to shoot a match with one of mine but mostly in my presence - outside my presence or for anything more than an afternoon it would have to be a circumstance where I'd be forced to accept losing the gun - like not loaning money unless I could stand to write it off as a gift whether that's the original intent or not. There have been people I'd jump on a hand grenade for; they can have a gun or a gun and operator at real need - not likely - no others need apply.

The world is full of people who will help an interested newcomer to shoot whether it's cowboy action, benchrest, practical pistol in all its varieties or bullseye.

In the circumstances described here perhaps a Wimpy/hamburger solution might be worked out - I will pay you a set price at a fixed date in a few months for a pistol today and if you at your sole option - not my option, your option - decide then that you'd rather have the pistol than the money then I'll pay you x amount as a fair rental and liquidated damages. That's the most I'd have the nerve to ask and it would have to be a real good friend.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
1st of all: welcome to the forum and enjoy.

next: ditto the "nor would I".

i also have no trouble letting another shooter at the range shoot a few rounds through any of my 1911's and the folks there know that, but i will be standing right there with them. i will even pop for a few rounds and have hooked some new 1911 shooters that way. in my case i will usually load up a mag with five rounds and simply let them try their hand, but that is it.

yep....you are crazy......but take that in a nice way. and yes...it is frustrating to wait out that time till you can buy what you want outright.

find a way to buy the gun you want or bide your time. as a responcible gun owner with an honest desire to enhance your shooting skills, still, don't put another shooter in a potentially bad situation.

good luck to you.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

· Registered
367 Posts
It never hurts to ask. Would you ask this guy to borrow his car? Do you think he would loan you his car? If the answer is yes, then he might loan you a gun. If he says yes, have him write up a rental recipt... It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just your names, when the loan is taking place, and the make model and serial # of the gun(this will keep him out of trouble if something happens).... If you show interest in 1911's, you might even be able to convince him to let one go....:rock:

I personally will only loan my gun to two people... My twin brother(but I would have to take one of his as collateral) and the guy I bought the gun from(I figure he knows how it works... and he is my neighbor...)

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Sell, maybe

Loan, never in a million years. If your shooting with me, you can shoot it, probably to your heart's content with your ammo, or a few clips with mine. But, only while with me and that's only after I know how you handle guns, but I wouldn't be shooting with you if your not safe.

· Administrator
80,886 Posts
Ericthenorse said:
It never hurts to ask. Would you ask this guy to borrow his car? Do you think he would loan you his car? If the answer is yes, then he might loan you a gun. If he says yes, have him write up a rental recipt...
Automobiles, and the damage they can cause are usually insured. Guns aren't.

· Banned
81 Posts
Here's my line of thinking, if I don't know you, no way in hell you're using my guns, especially "some guy" at the range that wants to try my gun who I don't know from Adam. My close friends and family who I know and trust can handle a firearm safely or the friends and family I've been shooting with before, I have no problem letting them fire my guns, I've got a group of friends and fam who I've been shooting with out here in the desert for almost 6 years, we always try out each others toys, afterall that's what makes it fun.

· Premium Member
9,635 Posts
Do I hear an amen from the audience?

dsk said:
There are very few people I trust enough to allow them to shoot my firearms when I'm standing right there. None that I would allow to "borrow" a gun and go beyond where I can see them. Zero. In fact, I would be suspicious of anyone who was willing to loan a gun, especially to someone he/she didn't know very well.

If it were me, and I "needed" a gun "right now" I would sell something I didn't need as badly, and go buy my own. YMMV.

Robert

· Registered
248 Posts
a handgun....

...is illegal to loan here in Michigan. If i am there, I will certainly let people try anything. I have been lucky, and had others let me try a variety of guns at the range. I have always said that gun ranges were the friendliest places on earth.

Long guns...I will loan a rifle to a friend or relative to hunt with. I have loaned 22 rifles to friends for them to teach someone to shoot with. Should I do that? From a legal standpoint, no. BUt...I will do anything for those close to me

· Registered
735 Posts
Personally I do not loan out my guns. Just too much liability if something goes wrong. Accidental discharge and somebody's lawyer is sueing everyone including the gun owner.

Also you have to think about this... what if the gun is stolen or is damged. Then you will be paying for someone else's gun istead of saving for yours so in essense you would be paying DOUBLE for you pistol.

I would just keep saving and one day it will be ALL yours and what a great day that will be! :)

You know that most gun ranges has handguns for rent and I always see 1911 style pistols for rent in all the ranges I go too. I don't think it is very much either you just have to buy the ammo.

Go and shoot once a month and just keep saving and you'll get your gun! :rock:

· Registered
1,639 Posts
I've loaned hunting rifles to friends, friends that I trusted, and for one trip at a time. I don't know about a handgun though, unless I was there with them. I'd rather loan the money so they could buy a firearm rather than loan the actual firearm really.

· Registered
98 Posts
Glad to hear that you're interested in BE shooting. If you were a member of my club I'd be glad to loan you one of my backup BE pistols. In fact I've done that many times. If you attend a BE pistol match, you'll always see a new shooter with equipment problems and there's always some one on the line with extra ammo and a pistol to loan the new shooter so he/she can finish the match. Also, since this forum doesn't lean in the bullseye direction, you might sign up for a forum like the Bullseye List. You can find a link to the list at the bullseye.com site.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.