1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have one of the ETM mags with the tall wide base plate and I ordered one of the lower profile baseplates.

Is there some sort of trick to getting the low pro base plate to work? I can not get the little mettle nub to click into the hole. I thought maybe its just hard to do so I put the original one back on and the nub pops right into the hole.

What am missing?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
So I have one of the ETM mags with the tall wide base plate and I ordered one of the lower profile baseplates.

Is there some sort of trick to getting the low pro base plate to work? I can not get the little mettle nub to click into the hole. I thought maybe its just hard to do so I put the original one back on and the nub pops right into the hole.

What am missing?

Thanks
1. Not to insult you, but did you get the ETM base? (I'm sure you did, but I had to ask, because I'd assume that might be an issue and the regular ones look the same...)

2. I have had them be a little stubborn before too, but a little more thumb muscle got it to click eventually...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep they are the Lo pro 45acp etm base pad. I got the steel ones so there isn't really any give when I push on them. I guess I can try again and push as hard as I can and see what happens haha.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Mick,

I installed some regular low pro base plates on some of my 47D mags. I had a couple that gave me the same problem. The spring plate seemed to be sliding forward a tiny bit as I pressed the base plate into position. Fooled and fumbled with them for a bit, finally went out and got a slender, sharp, but strong pick tool. I made sure the base plate was fully forward (or backward) in the direction of slide for installation, slipped the slender pick inside the hole where the little nub locks in place, and with the end of the pick, I was able to slide the spring plate in the opposite direction far enough to allow it to pop into position. I think the hole in the base plate might have been very slightly out of position or maybe just so tightly clearanced that I had to move the spring plate to get it to pop in place. I probably could have drilled the hole in the base plate to a 1/64th larger size and made it work too, but since I could see that the spring plate could be moved a bit back and forth, I decided to try and see if I could move it with the pick. That worked for me! Good luck with yours ...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds exactly like what my problem is. The spring plate slides a little bit and the hole in the lo pro base pad is smaller than the hole in the plastic one that came on the mag. I'm going to have to look for something I can try use as a pick like that but i'm not sure I have the proper tool.

Seems like this shouldn't be an issue :/

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well got it haha. I noticed a gap between that the front part of the base pad that comes up over the front of the mag and the front of the mag. so not sure if this is proper procedure but I put the base pad onto the mag and then leaned on it with it against my counter and it managed to move a little bit extra and snap into place.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
ok well got it haha. I noticed a gap between that the front part of the base pad that comes up over the front of the mag and the front of the mag. so not sure if this is proper procedure but I put the base pad onto the mag and then leaned on it with it against my counter and it managed to move a little bit extra and snap into place.
Sounds like you found some extra thumb muscle :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Way to go! Sometimes a little more "encouragement" is a good thing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts