1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I'm not talking about airports or courthouses where you would be an idiot...but places that should be legal for carry...

·
Registered
956 Posts
No, but have been wondering how someone would handle such a situation. What got me to think about it was when we went to see LOTR: Return of the king. The theatre searched my girlfriend's purse for "recording devices" and "outside food".

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Went to a concert at House of Blues in Mandalay Bay a couple of weeks ago - I had never been there but I figured they'd have detectors and left the Kimber and knife in the truck. Sure enough they had hand-held detectors, but mostly they'd wave it over your pocket and if it went off you'd say "change" or "keys" and he'd just keep going. The guy that checked me said someone had tried to bring a gun in the night before.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
NASA space center in Houston, TX. I was there in Sep 2002, where the security after 9/11 was tightened up. They had both police with wand and metal detector for people taking the tour ride. Carrying was not a problem for the indoor exhibition though. I volunteered to put my gun back in the car as I didn't want to get into any troubles.

I don't really know what would happen if I did otherwise, as there was no 30.06 sign on the entrance. Again, they might say it's a government facility which I couldn't really argue.

It's been a while since I took the CHL test last time. Unless there's a change afterwards, carrying in the professional sport arena in TX is illegal.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I keep waiting for some of these department stores that have the sensors by the door to catch unscanned items to be converted to metal detectors complete with a handy security gaurd.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went to an NCAA tournament game last year. I knew concealed firearms were not allowed under FL law at a sporting event, so I brought only a tactical folding knife.

As I walked up, I saw the dreaded metal detector wands. I did not want to walk all the way back to my car, but doubted they would let me in with a 4" knife. I saw the procedure -- you put your wallet and metal items in you hands, spread your arms out and let them scan you. It was fairly dark. I walked up with my cell phone in one hand and my keys and knife in the other. They scanned me, never looked at what was in my hands, and let me in! Honestly I think it could have been my P-3AT in a pocket holster and they would not have known the difference.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When I attended an Air Force football game (USAFA) a couple months ago, I was carrying my Buck / Mayo folder IWB.

Didn't really even think about it, until we got to the stadium entrance and they were searching people. Went through my GF's purse, and did a quick "pat down" on me. They either didn't notice, or didn't care about the knife.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
DDGator said:
I knew concealed firearms were not allowed under FL law at a sporting event, so I brought only a tactical folding knife.
Can you supply any links that detail that?

I've never heard that before. There was nothing mentioned in the Colorado CCW FAQ about it.

Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
County Fair

I went to the county fair this past Sept. and after you buy your ticket to get in ,they guide you to a Hand wand check point manned by City Police .I had my BenchMade auto knife in my right front pocket and also my Kimber full size OWB on the same right side,covered bye a sport shirt.The lady cop checked me and asked if that was a knife in my front pocket that set off the hand wand,I said yes and she asked me to please leave it in the car,I told her I was a Peace officer and showed her my ID,but she still wanted me to leave the knife in my car,I never did tell her about my pistol,nor did she find it with the hand wand.To make it easy for both of us I went back to my car and left both my pistol and knife in the car.I didn't want to make a scene or cause any problems.I was out of there before dark,and my car was close to the entrance anyways as I was one of the first ones in as they just opened for that day.And also everywhere I looked inside of the fairgrounds law enforcement was everywhere,but I still felt alittle uncomfortable without my goodluck charm and having to leave it all locked up in my car.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
You'd think it might be more dangerous to have people putting their guns in their cars then having them on their person. All a bg would have to do is watch until they sent someone back to their car, see where your car was, then break in and grab the gun once you had left...

·
Registered
877 Posts
scubie02 said:
You'd think it might be more dangerous to have people putting their guns in their cars then having them on their person. All a bg would have to do is watch until they sent someone back to their car, see where your car was, then break in and grab the gun once you had left...

There you go trying to apply logic to the situation! That's crazy talk! :biglaugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts