1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where everything just happens exactly right?

Yesterday I was at the range with my WWII model and 200 rounds of 230 gr. LRN hand loads. On a good day I'm an average shooter. I can usually keep everything inside 4-5 inches from 50 feet, Isosceles stance. Today is not looking to be a good day. Some of my targets look like I'm patterning buckshot. Now I'm getting fustrated, and shooting even worse. Then the little voice of reason chimed in "Knock it off idiot! Just relax and shoot!" So 2 mags worth (6 in each) went down range as fast as I could bring the sights in line. Now I have a target that I think I'll frame and hang over my reloading bench. It has a 10 shot group that measures just under 1.5 inches (2 flyers open it up to 3 inches) I'll have to remember this next time out. Just relax and shoot.

The downside to all this is, I'll never be able to blame the "Cheap" Springfield for bad groups again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I always use the sun was in my eyes:D not to worry i have days like that to. Sounds like you are onto the formula for good shooting.
When i was shooting cowboy action we would ask how they were shooting, if they were doing good they would say great and if not so good then they would say i'm havin' fun:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
There's something to be said for relaxing and allowing your muscle memory to take over. A body sometimes "knows" better than the "logic-pudding" many of us refer to as a brain.

Ever notice that new shooters possess the potential to do extremely well their first few times out? Largely it's because they are relaxed and not worrying about all the details. At least -- this is what I have observed with those I have instructed.

I am glad you had a good day. There is nothing more rewarding than a satisfying day at the range, and nothing more rotten than when you pop off twenty rounds only to discover that they are ALL fliers...... but that's another story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts