1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever notice that your not at the range, as often as you would like? or your not at the reloading bench, as often as you would like?
I catch myself sometimes going weeks,without shooting or reloading :(
Just picked-up a new hobby, Metal detecting......I like it and it's fun....and most of all it dosn't cost me much except gas! so the "Boss" can't [email protected]#$%
:dope:
Anybody else have that happen to them?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I took up golf six years ago and for the frist three years i did very little shooting but for the last three years now i've devoted most of my free time to shooting and i'am in my garage 3 or 4 times a week reloading.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Besides guns my other interest is music. I play mandolin in a Bluegrass/Old Time trio and it occupies a LOT of my time practicing, gigging, open mic nights and local jams.

But I make it a point to get to the range at least once a month or more.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Mandolin,guns.

Falatiron,if you play the mandolin you have to know about Kenneth C. "Jethro" Burns,half of the "Homer & Jethro" Country/Western comedy duo,it is said that Jethro was probably the greatest mandolinist that ever lived,I know I've heard him play some amazing stuff on the mandolin,him and Henry D. "Homer" Haynes were both born in Tenn. but wound up settling in the Chicago area,"Jethro" was living in Evanston Ill. when he died.They were both a couple of big time gun nuts,it was said that "Jethro's" collection was some where around 800 or 900 guns,I saw just a little hunk of it once(about 50 pcs.),some great guns in it.

Stumpy

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Not a new hobby though...my wife and I had our first child exactly one month ago. I wouldn't trade the lack of sleep and time for anything. He's beautiful!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've got a 8 year old and a 6 year old. They got lots of friends and the friends all have b'day parties. And I get to take them cuz me bride works Sat. till 13:00.

The upside is I do take the girls to the range with me at 09:00. However that's not often enough for me. BTW my 9 year old started shooting this summer. Her first gun was my MKIV Series 70 in .45. She was knocking bottles down on her 3rd shot ever.:rock:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Used to shoot 300-500 rounds a week...travelled every weekend to an USPA,IDPA, or Bianchi Cup Match...went to regional and national matches.

Two years ago I started riding motorcycles....

I just THOUGHT shooting and reloading was an obsession.

:D

·
Registered
750 Posts
During my first marrage I went about 4 years without shooting. I pawned most of my guns to pay bills. I was misserable. Now 4 years into my second marrage I try to spend as much free time as possible shooting. It's hard. Work has been a real time consumer. Money is often tight. Have to ballance spending time at home with the family, versus shooting. It's tough, but shooting is more than a hobby to me, it's a way of life. Sure, I can do without it for a while, but I am never quite as happy as I am when I go shooting on a somewhat regular basis.
I have tried other hobbies, but never really stuck with them, except fishing.
One of my goals in the future is to include my familly more in whatever types of shooting I can get them interested in. Hunting, plinking, maybe even shooting my pellet gun in the garrage?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
This summer has been very hectic for me working on the house and building a new deck so I haven't had much time to shoot at all. What's even worse is I have a range out back and almost always have 2 or 3 thousand rounds loaded up and ready to go. Now this is really embarrassing, but I have had my Baer TRS for almost six months now and I have a whopping 200 rounds through it. I have been thinking a lot lately about maybe buying a bow because I really love hunting but at this point in my life I just have way too many hobbies to take on another one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've taken up fishing, got a boat etc. Just about every weekend from March to November is taken up for that. Once the snow hits the ground, I change to shooting and just about every weekend i'm somewhere squeezing off some, which also means spending time on the reloading bench.

Plain and simple, with as much stress as we have now days, You've got to have some hobbies to relax. Whether it's shooting, fishing, sports, watching tv. etc whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shooting is made harder if you happen to live in a liberal town (Seattle)that had banned all ranges in city limits. I have to drive at least a half hour to shoot. Week days when there is commuter traffic make that more like 45-60 minutes. It sucks.

btw, I love Seattle, but the czar...oh...I mean mayor, Greg Nichols, is irritating.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Actually, my first love is astronomy. It clears and expands my mind, and puts the day's problems in perspective. I've long been a stargazer, and there's no way I could live in a place where it doesn't get DARK. This sort of limits me to a small town away from big cities, which also works better for shooting... about 3 minutes, and I'm at a free outdoor range.
While I love astronomy though, the shooting is much less demanding of conditions. For astronomy, I need it to be night, which comes late with daylight saving time, no bright moonlight, no light pollution, clear sky... in other words, lots of nights just don't work. I can shoot almost every day that the wind isn't gusting too hard, or it isn't raining at the moment.
Marty

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HardDrive said:
Shooting is made harder if you happen to live in a liberal town (Seattle)that had banned all ranges in city limits. I have to drive at least a half hour to shoot. Week days when there is commuter traffic make that more like 45-60 minutes. It sucks.

btw, I love Seattle, but the czar...oh...I mean mayor, Greg Nichols, is irritating.
I live in the Chicagoland area.....Hardrive.....Or I like to say the PRI :eek: Illinois is the "WORST" state for gun owners besides Kalif, at least you can get a CCW?
I have to drive 45min, one way to get to my "Outdoor" gun club :grumble: but I can shoot all the water jugs and 30lb empty R22 jugs I want. As long as I pick them up.......I always do a "GOOD POLICE" call before I leave! :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
PDshooter said:
I live in the Chicagoland area.....Hardrive.....Or I like to say the PRI :eek: Illinois is the "WORST" state for gun owners besides Kalif, at least you can get a CCW?
I have to drive 45min, one way to get to my "Outdoor" gun club :grumble: but I can shoot all the water jugs and 30lb empty R22 jugs I want. As long as I pick them up.......I always do a "GOOD POLICE" call before I leave! :D

I feel your pain. I lived in the South Suburbs. What range do you go to? I go out to Mega Sports in Plainfield/Joliet area.

I am in school in Southern Illinois University in Carbondale but still cant really find a range. I dont have many friends with property that I can shoot on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
98_1LE said:
My other hobby is playing with my car, so shooting seems to be a nice step down in price. These were taken today.
I have a hard enough time getting into a TA without a cage... How do you- I'm assuming that you are a full-grown man- shoehorn yourself into that thing?

As for time enough to shoot... I loved my last job where I could just call "break time" and head to the range. Now I have to wait til Sunday. And, now that it's fall, I usually have to use the VCR to enjoy my other passion, MICHIGAN FOOTBALL!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Gatman........I belong to X-line gun club in Kankakee.......$100 bucks ayear. Outdoor range, fishing pond, campout rights.
Will never go to a indoor range again! :rock:

Rinks gun in Lockport, Illinois is a OK place to shoot indoors. 815-838-1371.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts