1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gang the long wait is over . The new style C.D. EFS came to my dealer . I picked it up and inspected it very carefully . I finally got out to the woods to test fire it . I shot hollowpoints , ball and lead target loads through it . I got to where I was shooting the purple flowers off some alfalfa grass at 10 yds . The very first group on paper was a ragged one holer at 10 yds to . That was about as far as I could shoot after dark . Then I was overrun by serpents the Copperhead type . Two of them showed up and had me trapped between two briar covered ditch banks and the vehicle . I was forced to defend myself after one started towards me a big one about 30 inches long and big as a gown mans wrist . I shot only in defense Guys and nailed it in the head . The other one started towards me to . I have never seen this agressive attitude from Copperheads . It was smaller about finger size in thickness and a foot and a half long . At about four foot I shot because there was nowhere I could go honestly . I nicked the little one on the neck and it accelerated towards me . Freaking out I jumped about three ft. straight up and then like a dummy came down in the middle of a pissed off poisinous snake . as he tried to strike , Thank god for hi top boots I stomped the tar out of this little dude . meanwhile my shooting partner was busy rolling around laughing in the front seat of the vehicle . Funny I think not , I was almost bitten . I warned him of how I could cap him and with a liberal application of Lime he would disolve quite fast . He shut up and I nervously drove away from this dangerous area . So the daly and my rocky boots have served well in a defensive role in the first 24 hours of ownership . Then tonight we went to a shots fired domestic with a suicidal person barricaded in a house . The Daly was called again into action and its Gaping hole scared the wits out of the fleeing out the back door suspect . Other than that My DAly looks great , in fact its beautiful , shoots great , functions fine so far , and is doing its part as a protector . I cant say enough good about Rick and Michelle at KBI for their handling of the matter involving the original gun . Thanks Guys .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
233 Posts
well jafo.....sounds like you need to stay out of the woods
good shooting by the way. im glade you got your daly"
and im looking forward to hearing more about it soon.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would imagine the barrel of a .45 looks about 2 inches ... if you're on the wrong end of it!

You gave your CD one heck of a first couple days for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Now THAT'S a range report!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
jafo...where art thou? you hit and run out on us
probily out shooting more varment's. stay out of the wood's long enough to give us a range report
well hopefully we'll be hearing from you soon.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Glad to hear your CD is treating you well.

Not trying to take this thread too far off topic, but yes, the Copperheads do seem to be unusually agressive this year. The local news reported seven bites from unprovoked Copperheads in one eastern Oklahoma county last month. Very strange.-TR

Originally posted by JAFO216:
I have never seen this agressive attitude from Copperheads .

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Guys I am back . I been real busy building Holsters this week . And I am on vacation from the S.D. so I only have to work one job this week , YEAH . I have been taking my daughter on ATV rides in the Forest , her favorite thing to do and we have been going out at night , something we usually dont get to do . As for the Daly , its doing fine so far , I have Redi-Set targets set up at work and when I walk by I draw and fire a Double tap or two at them from the Holster . So far amazingly accurate , totally reliable and the trigger is getting better . I had to pay the sales tax on my 4x4 this week so I have to wait a few weeks to get my parts ordered . I think I am going to replace the extractor , grip screws , firing pin , trigger with a Wilson videcki style , the springs , I really want a set of Wilson coccobolo grips but it may wait awhile . The ones on it look fine but are slimmer than I like . I noticed that the hammer pin is recessed to clear the ambi safety alot more than needed in fact so I will need to replace the hammer pin and the sear pin to because it will stick out when I remove the ambi saftey . So far I am happy with my gun just want to personalize it as usual . A guy the other day thought it was a kimber , he nearly flipped out when he looked it over and found out it was less the 450.00 , I could see his wheels a spinnin with possibilities . My range report will just be an ongoing thing it seems as I am just using it on a daily basis as a carry peice and duty weapon . Oh yeah I did get a trophy Armadillo the other day , these things are getting all over us now and the farmers and conservation hate them so some of us are erradicating them . I have got around 75 in the last 3 years . the highways are just littered with them from hitting cars . They will destroy the spoilers on small cars . later my freinds . Gotta go now .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heck no no Videos for this Boy , They might fall into the hands of a animal rights activist or really overzealous Game Warden who deems the Copperhead as an endangered species . I have never seen as many dead Copperheads on the roads as this year . My freind has had two dogs bit this year already by the Copperheads . I dont know whats going on here but I dont like this much Snake activity .

·
Registered
114 Posts
maybe they are not really 'snakes'--maybe they are 'aliens' from k-pack---seriously, I am a 'newbie' here but an 'oldey' in age(79)and I enjoy your posts--I am going down the list of Daly posts on this forum to get my education in CD 1911's--bought my first 1911 after all these years and 1 WW2, just to have one before I 'kick the old bucket'the Daly is a darned good piece for the price--thanks fellas
DD

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks , I saw this old post revived and it sort of scared me that the animal rights folks had saw it and responded .
I have also started writing a few things for a Hunting site www.bantahunting.com go there and look for articles , click on that and look for Grampa and Fred Bear , a fictional or maybe not sort of story about my favorite hero in life my Grampa . You should get a kick out of it . I still carry my CD nightly on duty , I have owned Brownings , colts , springfeilds etc. while all were good Guns I still like my Daly and it still functions perfectly .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By the way I got another Copperhead the other night he threw himself under my Patrol car at the excat time the Anti lock brakes locked up , OOOPPPPSS . He was measured and beleive this or not was 35 inches head to tail tip , the biggest I have saw in 33 years of living . My partner age 56 said it was the biggest he had saw to . I am going to make me a snake catcher and try to catch a Big one for the Consevation display , I want a big 30-35 incher , yeah thats what I want . Of course my snake catcher will be used from insied the car initially as I am scared to death of Snakes . But that idiot Croc hunter can do it so can I . If they dont cooperate I will just introduce them to Mr Daly , heh heh heh . Later Freinds and Neighbors .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts