1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New England Journal of Medicine article has an article hypothesizing on how masks are working, by limiting exposure to higher doses of COVID. In other words, a little exposure might prompt a vaccine-like response but larger exposures without a mask is much riskier.

As SARS-CoV-2 continues its global spread, it's possible that one of the pillars of COVID-19 pandemic control -- universal facial masking -- might help reduce the severity of disease and ensure that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic. If this hypothesis is borne out, universal masking could become a form of "variolation" that would generate immunity and thereby slow the spread of the virus in the United States and elsewhere, as we await a vaccine….
Recent data from Boston demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 infections decreased among healthcare workers after universal masking was implemented in municipal hospitals in late March.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913i

Worth mentioning the July JAMA study that showed the clear efficacy of masks for COVID which is also referenced in the above study https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768533

·
Registered
3,844 Posts

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
A hypothesis. And one can hypothesize a lot of things.

Not a good reason for government mandates.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
New England Journal of Medicine article has an article hypothesizing on how masks are working, by limiting exposure to higher doses of COVID. In other words, a little exposure might prompt a vaccine-like response but larger exposures without a mask is much riskier.

As SARS-CoV-2 continues its global spread, it's possible that one of the pillars of COVID-19 pandemic control -- universal facial masking -- might help reduce the severity of disease and ensure that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic. If this hypothesis is borne out, universal masking could become a form of "variolation" that would generate immunity and thereby slow the spread of the virus in the United States and elsewhere, as we await a vaccine….
Recent data from Boston demonstrate that SARS-CoV-2 infections decreased among healthcare workers after universal masking was implemented in municipal hospitals in late March.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913i

Worth mentioning the July JAMA study that showed the clear efficacy of masks for COVID which is also referenced in the above study https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2768533
Bologna, Baloney, Bull S#!t!!
One minute this thing is super contagious and can fly in the air as aerosols, but a pair of underwear on your face will stop it cold. BS, you get no less wet jumping in a pond as opposed to the ocean. 300 people in a WalMart or Lowes will spread enough vapor for everyone to share. Don’t feed me the line of improved air circulation either. Not one of these places has invested in that. 300 people all touching everything, snot nosed Tommy licking the light bulbs and not one person wiping down the self check out counters or scan guns. Complete and total act of futility.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I posted a thread a while back with numerous scientific links on mask efficacy (or rather inefficacy) and don't wish to revisit it. Any who care to, it's there.

There has been a lot of fake science re Covid. That's not opinion, it's fact: look at the retracted Lancet article for example. Total fake (fabricated data.)

There is political agenda, to support the D-rat and globalist narrative, driving some of the "scientific" publication today.

There is absolutely no reason to believe there has been a change in science since Covid.

Masks -- short of properly fitted N-95 or better changed every 2 hours -- were thoroughly known pre Covid to not provide protection against respiratory viruses. Nothing about how all that works has changed.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, not BS "evidence."

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
They were GUESSING all along, if they weren't part of the contrived narrative.
Of course they were. That is the definition of research. Do the best you can with the information you have. Things will continue to change and things we thought we knew yesterday will be wrong. “Medical Advances”.

I’m not supporting government mandates. But just like global warming, the lay person tends to confuse “believing it does or doesn’t exist” with “what are we going to do about it?”. The Earth is warming....the left wants to shut down the economy through draconian regulation believing it is 100% man-made. The right wants to keep the economy going and put man’s impact into perspective. Covid.... the disease is the disease. It is real. I’m in senior healthcare and it is absolutely real and deadly to my population. Masks do help with spread (most are source control). Some masks help prevent contraction (an appropriately sized and fitted N95, N99, or greater). The left wants to mandate use and vaccination. The right wants us to understand and then make good choices.

I find it funny, however, that those of us on the right shout “it’s fake news!” from the roof-tops, but the first unverified meme that fits our narrative becomes gospel. Likely produced by Russian bots.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I find it funny, however, that those of us on the right shout “it’s fake news!” from the roof-tops, but the first unverified meme that fits our narrative becomes gospel. Likely produced by Russian bots.
Let's face it...both sides use whatever story they like to fit their narrative. What's funny is that both sides point this flaw out about the other side, while totally ignoring their own transgressions.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Masks do help with spread (most are source control).
A properly used mask can help with spread.

Medical professionals know how to use masks properly and do so.

The vast majority of the public either does not know how to use masks properly and does not do so, or does know but chooses not to.

Another thing known for a long time is that where masks are used improperly, they can increase risk.

What happens when a mask captures virus from an infected person (if it's not capturing virus then how is it reducing spread?) and the person handles it repeatedly and touches shared surfaces with their hands? No glove wearing and glove change, no hand washing inbetween.

And you do know that most people use the same mask all day long or even many days consecutively.

If they are actually are infected then how much of a biohazard is that mask?

How much more are they spreading from their hands?

There is no reason to think reality has changed since Covid.

All this was well known. Improperly worn masks CANNOT be said to necessarily reduce spread: they can instead increase it by a known mechanism.

There is exactly zero research giving conclusive if any reason to say that reduction of virus shed by breath from a non-coughing, non-spit-spraying aymptomatic social distancing person is greater than the increase resulting from their hands frequently touching their mask and then shared surfaces.

Or if you can point me to it, please do.

As shown with the Lancet study and the NEJM study, and a LOT more, there is tremendous intellectual dishonesty, for sake of power agenda, going on with Covid "science." I am not saying you are, but I am saying it's not an stablished fact if a fact at all that, flat out, masks reduce spread.

Any amount of pre-Covid literature and even some post-Covid says the opposite.

·
Super Moderator
14,168 Posts
Of course they were. That is the definition of research. Do the best you can with the information you have. Things will continue to change and things we thought we knew yesterday will be wrong. “Medical Advances”.

I’m not supporting government mandates. But just like global warming, the lay person tends to confuse “believing it does or doesn’t exist” with “what are we going to do about it?”. The Earth is warming....the left wants to shut down the economy through draconian regulation believing it is 100% man-made. The right wants to keep the economy going and put man’s impact into perspective. Covid.... the disease is the disease. It is real. I’m in senior healthcare and it is absolutely real and deadly to my population. Masks do help with spread (most are source control). Some masks help prevent contraction (an appropriately sized and fitted N95, N99, or greater). The left wants to mandate use and vaccination. The right wants us to understand and then make good choices.

I accept that SARS-COV-2 is real, and I firmly believe it was manufactured in the lab in Wuhan China, so that is not a debatable thing. However, our reaction to it, and the constant narrative of "stopping the spread" is greatly flawed. At the start of this thing, it was all about "flattening the curve", but quickly morphed into "slow the spread" and then the current narrative of "stop the spread". Trenace2 and TominMO have posted numerous links to information on this virus and our overdriven reaction to it, so I won't repeat all those links - they are in threads in this sub-forum if one wants to find them.

As far as global warming: the earth has gone through several cycles of warming and cooling long before man was populating in any meaningful numbers, so the narrative of man being the source is bovine flatulence (they blame that too these days).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Also on the intellectual dishonesty:

One can argue almost ANYTHING when cherrypicking data, presenting what one wants and putting hands over eyes and ears when it is not what one's agenda requires.

OK, one can find a hospital where Time Point B had a better outcome than Time Point A, and there was a change made, and argue that the change caused the better outcome.

Let's say one is intellectually honest and, liking this approach, would be open to other examples.

Well alrighty then!

What about Switzerland?

Very low death rate from Covid, while using HCQ.

Briefly stopped HCQ use when WHO put out an advisory against based on faked data, soon withdrawn. Deaths shot WAY UP,

Switzerland soon returned to using HCQ. Deaths promptly dropped drastically down to where they had been before the fake-science-based blunder. (Posted elsewhere here.)

Now, the sort of person -- I don't mean you, I mean the authors and those publicizing it -- who would buy that the above evidence proves masks, would surely take it that this evidence at least equally much shows that HCQ works? Right?

Ah, nope, because for the power agenda to work, the public must think there is nothing that works well except of course the precious masks, social distancing, lockdowns, and shutdowns.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
I can only say that here in Italy surgical masks are very useful, and I try to explain their use with a simple photo, where you can see what happens if nobody have a mask on, only one person or in the third example both are wearing a mask.

Of course everyone is free to act according to his conscience.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
We really need to be thankful we're not all dead, and for that matter were ever born.

Think how incredibly everyone had been fogging everyone with viruses or bacteria if they had them, all this time, from the dawn of time till now! There's your proof above, buddy!

Every bad virus must have infected everyone. Terrible.

This may be the best proof yet of Elon Musk's simulation theory.

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
Garbage from Sergio and post #14
Try the same example with a laser sheet as has been demonstrated in a lab.
Everyone thinks that the virus is the size of rain. The bottom example you show would light up like a roman candle when it uncovers the aerosol vapors transporting the deadly Wuhan Red death...

·
Registered
435 Posts
The "science" is so fake, for power reasons, on Covid that it takes a lot of work to wade through the crap.

I really regret that I lost one particular study I found a while back. How I can't find it I don't know, as I thought I messaged it to either my wife or doctor friend -- I even remember specifically being in my car and sending while at a red light -- but there's no trace in messages and attempted re-searches have not succeeded.

Each can decide for themselves, either way fine, whether I am full of crap or not, as I can't provide the link.

I did however read about 2 months ago a study -- I don't mean a pop science article, a "news" report, or somebody's blog, but the study itself -- attempting to detect SARS-Cov-2 from the breath of asymptomatic infected individuals, including with deliberate coughs.

They could detect none in 20 minutes of measurement. I am not saying there ARE literally zero, I am saying from their findings there is not much, not enough for them to detect. And I have not seen a study with opposing results.

In contrast, it's no problem finding studies showing contamination of surfaces all the h*** over the place.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Trenace3 typing essays isn't as noticeable as watching videos at work is it. Whats your WPM?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ninety.

Not as accurate at that speed as when learning on typewriters though. The backspace key permits sloppiness.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts