1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.....post your SD (CCW only) guns... first gun till now...let's see how ignorant we were when we first started...here i go first

1. Lorcin .32 (Pawn shop guy said it was an automatic, I took it to range, held down the trigger and it only banged once. I took it back and wanted a refund cause it wasn't automatic. Damn. I felt stupid)
2. Ruger p89 9mm
3. Taurus millennium .40
4. S&W SIGMA (YUCK)
5. Bersa .380
6. S&W SW99 9mm
7. Glock 36
8. Springfield XD-40
9. Kimber Ultra Raptor II
10. Glock 27
11. Custom Colt 1911

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
1. Kimber Ultra Carry II
2. Kimber Ultra Eclipse II
3. Kahr PM9
4. Springfield EMP 9mm (current carry gun)

I've had my CCW for 9 years, and in that time there was no overlap in the carry guns I've owned. I'd buy a new one and once I determined it was reliable, I would sell the old. I should probably get and keep another as a backup though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've always owned a bunch of 1911s but always kept them safe...should have alway carried one after the lorcins......now i won't carry anything else

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Lived in Md and didn't have a CCW

Russian Makrov 9x18 (used)--Shot a friends Colt 1911, walked off the range and put my next gun on layaway.
SA 1911 ( gave it to my son on his 21st B-Day)
SA Longslide
Colt Gunsite

Moved to NC and got my CCW permit
Colt LTW Comm (used)

Tracy

·
Registered
570 Posts
I started out well, a Sig-Sauer P229 in .40 S&W. But, then I shot a 1911. Then, discovered the 10mm.

So, now I carry a 10mm commander length 1911.

I believe I'm totally good now and refuse to shoot any new kinds of guns. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Bought a Singer for $100, decided it was kinda ugly, traded it for a carburetor.
.just kidding....

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Current state (MD) doesn't issue carry permits but when I could I carried a Colt Agent .38 Special first, then a Colt Lightweight Commander, .45ACP. I would carry either, based on mood and weather and what I was doing.

Mike

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Crabby,

Where are you in Md? I grew up in Howard Co (Elkridge), & lived my last 10 yrs in Pasadena before I came south. Tracy

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Kimber Compact CDP
might buy a smaller pocket pistol in the future

L.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Crabby,

Used to shoot pins at Continental Arms in Timonium yrs ago.

Sorry for the hijack....back to the thread. Tracy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Carry guns over the past 20 yrs or so:
1 - .357 revolver
2 - Glock G17
3 - Kimber Team Match .45
4 - Kimber Pro TLE .45
5 - DW CBOB .45

The DW is my current carry gun

·
Registered
741 Posts
Star "UltraStar" 9mm
Keltec P11
Sig P239
Glock 19
Glock 26
Glock 33
Para Tac Four
Glock 30
S&W 1911pd cmdr
... and probably more that I don't recollect, offhand. Finally settled on:

Glock 26, Glock 19 or S&W Gunsite cmdr, depending on attire

·
Registered
856 Posts
sig 229/357 sig had to give it back it was on loan
xd sc 3 weeks wasn't for me
ruger P944DC (what I had horribly thick but great shooter)
sig P6
Ruger P90 (thick but I'll carry it)
RIA 5" 1911 4.3 lb trigger polished by me internals. no creep little take up and no overtravel. best one by far. using a cheap holster waiting for a crossbreed in the mail

·
Registered
694 Posts
Bought a Singer for $100, decided it was kinda ugly, traded it for a carburetor.....just kidding....
:eek: :mad: :scratch: :biglaugh: that post was an emotional roller coaster

SA Loaded LTW was/is my first...i love it and dont intend to change style, I may move up though. I have been eyeballing a TRP lately

·
Registered
124 Posts
Taurus 85, .38 special
Glock 26, very, very briefly
Sig P239 (.357 SIG)
Kobra Carry and S&W 649

After about a year of untrained and sporadic carry, I got serious. I decided I needed something better, and I'd just started working (with a Glock 17) about 3 months earlier, so it made sense to stick to 9mm and Glock. A week later, I was issued the Sig as a BUG, and I carried that for about 2 months due to my distrust of Glocks, stemming from lots of ND stories (yes, I know Glocks aren't inherently unsafe, but I still don't like them. Raised on 1911s...). Once I'd been working for a little while and had some money saved, I decided to get a non-department-issued weapon for off duty carry. I chose .45 ACP, from a 1911, and my research led me to my beloved KC (selling the G26 to help pay for it, as I had barely touched it since getting the Sig). The S&W is new, and a nice pocket gun for times when the KC isn't really practical.

Side note; The Glocks went out of style with the higher-ups shortly after I got the Kobra Carry, and we got an intelligent LT, so I now carry a SA Loaded Operator on duty.

·
Premium Member
15,713 Posts
Not necessarily for carry, just the pistol evolution as knowledge and experience increased:

Bersa .380; used as partial trade on AR-15 upper
Kel Tec P-11; keeper, sometimes carry
FEG GKK92C; traded in on Beretta (a very good 9mm but I became concerned about parts since it's not a clone of anything else)
Springfield Ultra Compact V-10; sold because I realized I was not going to carry a single action.
Beretta 92SF; gave to son with bigger hands:)
FEG PJK9HP (Hi-Power); keeper - my shooter HP and the mule for a .22 conversion
Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70; didn't know anything about the 1911 - thought this was 'the best', realized what I wanted was a Government Model, sold for a profit.
1953 Colt Government Model; keeper after being redone by Bill Adair.
1983 Colt Gov Model Seies 70 MK IV; keeper
1945 Remington Rand; keeper
1945 Inglis Hi-Power; keeper
1969 Browning Hi-Power; keeper
Taurus 24/7 pro .45; keeper, sometimes carry
Taurus PT1911B .45 (1911); keeper, my shooter 1911

Some will say that some of the 'keepers' do not reflect wise choices. I know that some of them are not well-thought of, but I look at guns as individuals, and all of them are good guns. My thinking has most always run against the grain, so this is normal for me. As for the evolution, I can illustrate it in one sentence: once, I 'hated' the Brownell's catalog because it was so full of stuff for the outdated 1911 - now I look forward to it for the same reason, but no longer consider the 1911 outdated.

·
Administrator
73,982 Posts
When I first got my CCW at age 21 I went through quite a few different carry guns. A Taurus 85 .38 Special, American Arms PX-22 .22LR, Star FireStar 9mm, Glock 19, SIG P226, Colt LWT Commander, Colt nickeled Combat Commander, a stainless Commander, then finally I just gave in and carried mostly full-sized 1911s (it helped to have finally discovered the wisdom of using a proper carry holster and belt). Now I transition between a customized 5" Colt, a Glock 19, or a Kel-Tec P-32 as the circumstances permit. I did carry a Kahr P9 most of the time for awhile, but once it started acting up occasionally at the range I decided to lose that one like a bad habit.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
First CCW gun was a Colt .44-40 in a lunchbox. Interesting story about that, maybe one day I'll get into it here. I was about fourteen.

Then I toted around a variety of M9, 1911 and exactly one .38 revolver. Whatever Uncle Sam told me to carry that particular day. Not exactly CCW, more like standing watches, ships defense force and security details.

Being familiar with the 1911 since I was in my teens, I took to this as an "official" (and now legal) CCW handgun. I've gone through several RIA and Springfield fullsize pistols, the current carry gun being a custom build based on a G.I. I bought a Para once but it's now hopefully being used to its full potential... as a boat anchor.

I've bought and sold a few revolvers, none of them fit my hands quite right. Too used to autoloaders, I guess.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts