1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ex-extractor vs In-extractor w/pics

My Kimber Stainless TLE II will soon be on it's way back to Kimber for repair!:mummy:

Before the first ship back I had numerous fail to extract, some fail to feed and several fail to eject! Kimber replaced the ex-extractor, reamed and polished the chamber, and fixed a few other minor problems not related to the function problems. Kimber paid the freight without my even asking, then as now.

When my Kimber worked (some of the time) it would feed all different bullet shapes so the fedding problems are not ammo related.

Upon getting my Kimber back I went out to shoot it with 100 rounds of UMC ball. It is my thought that a 1911 should feed ball 100% of the time.

Picture 1 two slides:

The Springfield is a WW II model.

Picture 2:

In pic 2 at arrow "A" there is a part of the slide that protects the bottom of the extractor, arrow "B" shows this part milled away (it came from factory this way:scratch: ) and the sharp edge of the extractor.

Now I'm not an engineer, nor am I a 'smith but it seems to me that with a little bit of contouring that this Kimber can be made to perform without malfunction. IMHO the problem with Kimber's ex-ext. is not one of the fact that it is externally mounted but that it is just an extremely poorly executed implementation of the design. If the sharp edge were radiused and perhaps if the nose were shaped differntly ans smoothed I think it would function without flaw.

Hopefully Kimber will make it work this time! Those that have had gunsmiths fix their Kimbers with the ex-ext. vs shipping it back to Kimber is this what fixed yours? The removal of the sharp edges.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Inclined to agree with the assessment of the design implementation; indication of Kimber's poor QC lately perhaps, discussed ad-nauseum here. It would appear to me also that a little final finishing/smoothing/rounding as described might fix many of the problems noted here. Recently purchased a Tactical Pro II and have fired 350 rounds through it to date (Remington hardball UMC). I would estimate a failure to feed (FTF) rate of about 30%; that's right, nearly one third, and today after about 50 rounds, frequently every other round; my flintlock .45 has a higher rate of detonations per trigger-pull - substantially. After cleaning, lubing and working the slide vigorously with Militec, I got to about one FTF per magazine on the last 3 or 4 magazines, finally getting through two magazines in a row without an FTF. Hallelujah! :rolleyes: Almost all involved the nose of the round hitting the barrel hood, caused I think by the base of the round not fully seating under the extractor flush with the breech face. I'm certainly not a pro with the 1911, but I would think a stoppage every third shot or so would make a weapon unserviceable for any purpose. I intend to slog through the "recommended" break in of 500 rounds before returning to Kimber, but so far I haven't seen noticeable improvement in the action, with several cleanings and liberal use of CLP (rather I should say, number of FTFs goes down during a given range session, but problem recurs on the next outing - this last time substantially worse). It's a great gun for checking flinching, 'cause you never know when a round is going to chamber and fire properly. Sorta puts a crimp in double-tap and rapid fire though - "bang (usually the first round stripped off the top fires, although I've had a couple miss battery there), "click" - "bang, bang" - "click" - "bang, bang, bang" - "click." I think Kimber named it a "tactical extractor" because it teaches you how to quickly clear jams in a combat situation; I've had lots of practice so far. Using Kimber Pro-Tac magazines, which you would think would work flawlessly with Kimber's own firearms; haven't tried my 47Ds, but I think I'll save them for my new Wilson (in the works). That's why I won't miss the Kimber much when I send it off; or after I get it back, for that matter...

Doc H.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.