1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been looking for a "new" XS or even an XSE, and having no luck, decided to purchase a Kimber. While looking at a loaded-up Kimber, I checked out the "Special Combat Government" on the table beside it. Due to the entire package being somewhat nicer than anything else I own, especially my ugly old Glock and my beaten-up old 1911's, I decided to stick with the familiar.
My, My, what a nice weapon this is! I liked it so much I went back to the store today and picked up the Heinie-sighted Custom Gov't that had been laying beside it for months. Whooee if mommmy only knew!
If COLT's standard grade 1911 shoots as good, and has anywhere near the trigger that these two have, then they stand a very good chance of surviving. I know that these two examples made me happy to pay the extra union tariff attached to them, even if they were more than the Kimbers. Fit, finish, trigger and reliability have been top-notch on the Special Combat with over 3,000 rounds at this time (yes, they are mucho $$ and should be nice pieces). But the 1991 standard grade beside them at $549.00 was every bit as nicely done, without the bells and whistles. Please try one before you give up on COLT. These babies are way ahead of anything you have been used to since the 50's. I can't wait to get ahold of the 1911 retro version. You can still get what you pay for, it just hurts a little more (and you don't have to visit Hell to get them). Kudos to COLT.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I have 5 Colt 1911s and one non Colt 1911. Yet I feel 7 must be a Flattop Trophy or Special Combat. I feel bad for me and all the others who don't own a Special Combat. But want one bad enough to dream. Oh and spend my gun money for a large portion of the year for one. Thanks for the positive motivational opinion. Which most of us Colt folks have'nt lost.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I own a Colt Government model and a Combat Commander.

I would not trade either of these guns for any Springfield, Auto-Ordnance, Kimber, Firestorm, Llama, Para-Ordnance, Daly, Norinco, or any other clone.

-Mk.IV

[This message has been edited by Mark IV Series 80 (edited 06-23-2001).]

·
Registered
113 Posts
arman:

I shoot/carry the O1970CY version of the Special Combat Government and wouldn't trade it for the world. It's a *great* gun!

Congrats!

Everett

------------------

·
Registered
236 Posts
Guys, you found exceptions rather than the rule. You should be happy. The last 20 new Colt's I have handled have been junk. Not an exception in the bunch. Thought I had found one a couple months ago, decent trigger,frame to slide fit,overall fit and finish. But I got fooled. Had to install a Nowlin barrel to get it to shoot. "SUBSTITUTE INFERIOR FOR "JUNK" IN THE ABOVE POST"

[This message has been edited by shoepop (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
560 Posts
I also own a series 80 and a new commander and second what MK series 80 said.Just replace the mag springs with a wolff extra power.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by shoepop:
Guys, you found exceptions rather than the rule. You should be happy. The last 20 new Colt's I have handled have been junk. Not an exception in the bunch. Thought I had found one a couple months ago, decent trigger,frame to slide fit,overall fit and finish. But I got fooled. Had to install a Nowlin barrel to get it to shoot.
Wierd, we've been selling the XS/ XSE/ 1991 for years without one coming back or having problems. What do you consider "junk"?

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
Originally posted by CMC:
I also own a series 80 and a new commander and second what MK series 80 said.Just replace the mag springs with a wolff extra power.
That sounds unusual. For decades the factory Colt magazines had a reputation for using extremely durable springs. There's tons of stories about people finding some old magazine left loaded since the last Great War yet it still worked fine. Are you seeing a problem with Colt's magazines now?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I dont know where all the junk Colts are, I dont have one and have never had one. I guess I'm lucky all my Colts work every time, and I've got a bunch of them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had problems with with the mag springs , problem goes away with the plus ten percent power mag springs or 11 lb on the seven round mags for reliability with hot rounds.
I had more problems with the 8 rounders so I am sticking with the seven round mags.
The 8 rounders were not original design I guess Browning would have designed it for 8 but he chose 7. This is just my limited experience with 8 rounders and how Woolf springs can improve the magazines.I have a Colt Pony that came with sorry mag springs, I also use extra power mag release springs. just my HO.

[This message has been edited by CMC (edited 06-24-2001).]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Originally posted by Ken Neal:
I dont know where all the junk Colts are, I dont have one and have never had one. I guess I'm lucky all my Colts work every time, and I've got a bunch of them.
Ken:

I'm with you. I've owned an original 1911, serial number less than 400,000 or so, and a Gold Cup MK IV Series 70 in addition to my Special Combat Government. All of mine shot well and any problems I had with them were minor.

I'm sure people get a lemon now and then, *everyone* makes one once in a while. For my money and my experience, Colt is as good as it get's unless you want to go with one of the custom shops.

Everett

------------------

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by dsk:
That sounds unusual. For decades the factory Colt magazines had a reputation for using extremely durable springs. There's tons of stories about people finding some old magazine left loaded since the last Great War yet it still worked fine. Are you seeing a problem with Colt's magazines now?

dsk, ,my last two new Colt's came with different types of mags from the factory. The custom shop gun had one factory blue 7-rounder (works great), and one 8-round blue factory (works ok for range use, but locks up the gun sometimes), both have shooting star followers. The special combat gov't gun came with two new stainless shooting star 8-round mags, and they are for range use only, since they sometimes tie up whatever gun I have them in.
I stick with factory 7-rounders or Wilson 7-rounders for carry use only. I find them to be trouble-free. Perhaps Mr. Browning really did know his stuff :)

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
That makes more sense. I agree the 8 rounders are weak but the 7 rounders are supposed to be indestructible.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I will retract junk and insert inferior . I have already stated why in my first post. Sure most of them go bang everytime you pull the trigger but when you consider overall quality for the $ Colt is inferior. If you want to consider their custom shop pistol's they compare to other makers standard line. All one has to do is look @ Colt's 1911 market share to see they have a problem. I own many Colt's, pre 70,70,80 series Gold Cups, Commanders ,Officer, Government, 1991's .Every single one of them is or should say WAS inferior to a bottom line pistol like a Kimber Classic. I will be honest. I buy Colt's because of the name not the quality. Then I throw $ @ them like the Nowlin barrel replacement and I end up with a pistol that is up to a standard I expect. And by God it's a Colt,kind of.

[This message has been edited by shoepop (edited 06-24-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts