1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1911 labeled "Exercito Brazileiro 1940" on the right side of the slide. This is my first 1911. It's in pretty good shape and I bought it for 200 bucks! Any idea what it's worth?

·
Administrator
73,854 Posts
Probably more than 200 bucks, but no way to tell exactly how much without seeing some pics.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Translation: I believe that it means "Brazilian Army".

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Early Brazilian Colt pistols have a C prefix, they should have a Brazilian Crest, and be marked : EXERCITO BRASILEIRO on the right of the slide. They were also numbered on the slide from 1 - 14500

14,500 pistols were purchased by the Brazilian Army. They were selected from the serial number range C188000 - C209000 randomly. They should have the Brazilian Crest and EXERCITO BRASILEIRO on the right side of the slide. They should also have a Brazilian Issue number on the slide (1 - 14500). The year is also found under the Exercito Brasileiro marking on the slide (such as 1937 etc.) These were used mainly by the Brazilian Expeditionary Forces in Italy during WW II. The US Army recovered some of them off of the battlefields in Italy and refurbished them for US Army use.
Info I found from a Google search.
:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys

I guess as long as I got a good deal and my first 1911, it does'nt really matter what it's worth. Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
fredfellini said:
Translation: I believe that it means "Brazilian Army".
Você está correto, oh o sábio. :D

·
Registered
644 Posts
wetidlerjr said:
Você está correto, oh o sábio. :D
Um cavalheiro e um scholar, por favor.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
DHRoss said:
Um cavalheiro e um scholar, por favor.
Muito bom ! :rock:

·
Registered
119 Posts
The guys down here are using a P35 copy that I assume is built by Imbel but haven't checked for certain. I'll try to look at one when I get a chance. Most carry Colt M4s and Imbel FALs, few pistolas. Good guys, very professional. I'd trust my life to them...and have.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
There are a number of pistols that were built up using after market frames, Essex etc, and those slides. You don't see too many with the original Colt Government Model ("C" prefix serial number) frame. One theory is when they converted over to 9mm, they kept the frames and mated 9mm slides to them.

The Brazilians appear to be a nation of people who want to be self sufficient and thrifty. I saw a show that indicated they were almost totally away from gasoline for their cars by growing corn and making it into alcohol.

Perhaps the OP can post a pic of his pistol.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If it's on an Essex frame with a Wilson extended slide stop and Wilson extended safety, and has non-GI sights, and was bought anywhere near Clarksville, TN, I'd really love to know where you got it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
due to its potential collectibility, I would not modify it at all. We need pictures!
Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello, am I correct in supposing there are another or anothers brazilians gentlemans in this forum?
I happen to own a so called brazilian Colt, Government Model that is, serial #C 193216. Any exchange of ideas or info on this subject would be welcome.
Happy New year to all, Nicioli.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Your pistol is part of a group of 14,500 purchased by Brazil during the period of 1937 to 1941. These pistols were in the serial number range (Colt numbers) C188000 to C209000. However, the slides are numbered from 1 to 14500. If you remove the firing pin stop, there should be a number stamped into the slide and it should match frame.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts