1911Forum banner

Expanding case issue

1844 49
I have a lee reloading deluxe set the (4) die one. the expander is ruining my brass case at the tip. Not all but here and there. any help on my issue.??.
Cigar Material property Tobacco Wood Nail

Wood Finger Nail Thumb Writing implement
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,924 Posts
I just went through this with my Dillon xl650 & I found that if I extended the primer knockout pin a bit so that it engages the primer hole just before the sizer die touch’s the brass it works much smoother w/o rolling or crunching the lip of the brass. Does the Lee run the same kind of setup ?

On the Dillon the primer knockout keeps the brass better engage/centered in the shell holder. My .02

· Registered
397 Posts
The only crunch I got was during setup.
I belled my case mouth too much and mangled a few cases in the seating die.

I adjusted up till that stopped (powder through die). Then still had the case mouth dragging in the seating die. So a little less bell till that stopped.

Only on occasion can I hear a tiney bit of dragging when seating and figure it is an extra long case.

Guess if I were going for match grade ammo I would trim brass.

Lazy I know.

· Registered
13,732 Posts
I hope you fire your security. :ROFLMAO:
That can easily be solved by using all small primer 45 brass. I believe they're easier and cheaper to find too.
Well, if these dingalings would pull their head out of their arse and produce ALL of it that way, it would be fine. But, noooooo, they have to sprinkle it across the ranges of the world..😡

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I have a lee reloading deluxe set the (4) die one. the expander is ruining my brass case at the tip. Not all but here and there. any help on my issue.??.
If it’s a Lee turret press, the Square Ratchet that installs inside the black auto index clamp on the steel ram can be damaged or worn. The square black ratchet rides on the 1/4"x 1/4" steel index rod. If damaged, it will cause the turret to NOT fully rotate, resulting in the expander to misalign and fold the case lip.

The square ratchet is a sacrificial piece made from plastic with the dual purpose of indexing and to protect other parts if the press binds. It can also wear out after many rounds. It’s easily replaced and cost is minimal ($0.75 -- see link above).

I was folding over the lip of 32acp cases at the expander station after thousands of rounds through the press. The inside corners of the square ratchet were rounded and the turret would not fully rotate into position causing misalignment. And, of course, if too much pressure is applied, the ratchet deforms to save other parts. Check it or just replace it.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If it’s a Lee turret press, the Square Ratchet that installs inside the black auto index clamp on the steel ram can be damaged or worn. The square black ratchet rides on the 1/4"x 1/4" steel index rod. If damaged, it will cause the turret to NOT fully rotate, resulting in the expander to misalign and fold the case lip.

The square ratchet is a sacrificial piece made from plastic with the dual purpose of indexing and to protect other parts if the press binds. It can also wear out after many rounds. It’s easily replaced and cost is minimal ($0.75 -- see link above).

I was folding over the lip of 32acp cases at the expander station after thousands of rounds through the press. The inside corners of the square ratchet were rounded and the turret would not fully rotate into position causing misalignment. And, of course, if too much pressure is applied, the ratchet deforms to save other parts. Check it or just replace it.

Yes I also checked that.. I switched to my single press and still have the issue I just order another expander to see. I also keep a few turret press plastic square as spares. Thanks for the info 👍
Something is not right at all here. The part about the expander hitting the edge of the case mouth makes perfect sense from an alignment standpoint and “folding” the edge. But now you have that same expander just going into the case with no effect?? Back everything off and unscrew the die. Reinstall it by following their instructions exactly and make sure the lock ring is tight. Try again. I have caught a case on the edge of the sizing/decamp die before but never on an expander die. You have to be waaay off since the tip of the expander is beveled. This is just weird.
Telling me!! I already screwed up 10 cases trying to figure it out. I wouldn't mine if it was 9mm cases but 38/357 are not cheap. 👍

· Registered
397 Posts
Work dies down in smaller increments.

I put a timing mark on my die and press so I can keep track of my progress.

I put a starting mark when contact is made.

Usually by the time I wreck one or two cases I have a mark for too far.

Without a couple reference points it is easy to get lost.

· Premium Member
8,824 Posts
My biggest problem that causes damaged case mouths is getting in too big of a hurry. I get a rhythm down and things work smoothly. If I start trying to run a bit faster, I start to fail to seat he case all the way into the shell holder. At first the case will self-align, but if I keep going a bit faster the case mouth will get damaged. In my case it is operator error not an equipment error.

Grumpy

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Work dies down in smaller increments.

I put a timing mark on my die and press so I can keep track of my progress.

I put a starting mark when contact is made.

Usually by the time I wreck one or two cases I have a mark for too far.

Without a couple reference points it is easy to get lost.
Thanks snuby 642👍👍
check out how I polish my 642
Trigger Revolver Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Attachments

· Registered
397 Posts
That's a nice 642. I'm jealous.

Mine is the scandium air weight modle with ct grips and a xs big dot sight.

I set it up like that when my eyesight was going bad from cataracts and didn't know it.

Not very nice looking and snappy to shoot defense ammo in but it's handy to have around especially in summer.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This is a airweight model the finish was starting to wear out so, I risked it and strip it to aluminum and slowly start polishing. I started in the grip section incase it look like crap but when I saw the mirror shine it was on!😁

21 - 40 of 50 Posts