1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a LNIB Stainless Loaded PX9151LP from a friend for $600. I say LNIB because I put the first rounds through it today when I stopped by to look at it. He gave it to me to try out tomorrow before deciding if I want it or not. What type of accuracy should I be staified with at 25 yds? I have about 5 types of ammo, from 230 gr ball, target reloads, to Hornady XTP to try out. I have a beautiful old Colt bullseye type 1911 that isn't the most reliable with defensive rounds and am looking for another 1911 I can run pretty hard without feeling guilty. I was set on ordering a TRP Operator but for the price difference ($600 vs. $1500 w/ no paper work or sales tax) I can always through night sights on this puppy if the accuracy is acceptable. What should I be happy with?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Although they don't quote accuracy in their catalogs, SA reps have posted in this and other 1911 forums that their Loaded series pistols will shoot 5" groups or smaller at 25 yds from a rest. 3" groupls or less with the TRP series, and 1 1/2" groups or less from the Custom pistols. I'm going from memory, so I may be off a half inch or so on any quote by SA. Notice that they say "or less". I can't provide a link to these statements.

Most statements I've seen from Forum members indicate that they're getting better than the 5" groups for Loadeds, G.I.s, and Mil-Specs but I think it can very from pistol to pistol. Springfield sent me a test target for my Mil-Spec which showed a three-shot group of less than 1.5", which doesn't make it a sub two-inch gun by any stretch, but I think it's better than the 5" that SA quotes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That seems like a realistic expectation. I would be satisfied if the pistol prints an honest 4" with atleast one type of ammo. When I say honest I mean always 4" without shooter error. I see a lot of shooters, not neccessarily on this forum, that will post a group that looks good except for a few and then make excuses for the outliers (is that a word?). I've been involved with IDPA for a number of years and have learned that 4" at 25 yds will do the job, but not 4" some of the time but all of the time.

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
That Stainless "Loaded" will be a good defensive carry handgun for you. Mine has served me well, on and off duty, for the past 6-7 years, and it's sitting on the table beside me as I type this.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I usually practice indoor at about 40-50 ft. with my stainless loaded and i can produce sub 2" groups no problem without using a rest. It's a great gun. I bit heavy for carry, but in the winter months it's easier to conceal.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
I get groupings of 3 inches at 15 yards with my Stainless Loaded shooting offhand. I am not nearly as steady as I used to be...the gun is definately more accurate than I am.

I did replace the barrel bushing with a replacement from EGW, since the factory bushing was a slop fit. That brought the groupings in considerably for me. I am very satisfied!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
With the slide in battery, push down on the chamber hood and see if there's much play. It shouldnt drop more than 1mm or so. This is a quick way to get some idea of the fitting of the slidestop, link, barrel and link pin. Then attempt to move the bore end of the barrel in the bushing to see if it's tight. This is a quick way to check the tolerances of these parts, although it's not like pulling out a micrometer. It can give you a good idea of the general fitting of these parts.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
How accurate are YOU at 25 yards? You are probably the limiting factory at that range...not the gun.

A Stainless loaded for $600 is an excellent buy!! It will serve you well. Especially for carry, its accuracy will be more than adequate.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
You can't beat a Springfield for quality and accuracy, and you most definately can NOT beat it for the price you've been quoted. I wouldn't just take the offer today, I'd make sure he has the money in his hand so he can't change his mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took the pistol home with me Friday and disassembled and inspected it. There was some play to the hood so I replaced the link right away. The bushing has some play in the slide but the barrel to bushing fit is good. I ran about 50 rounds of 230 fmj though her on Saturday and it was printing all within 6" with 90% within 4" at 25 yds. from a rest with a "Hawkeye" type diopter thingamabob on my shooting glasses. I figured the pistol wasn't a dog and probably had potential with a little attention and load testing. I told him I'll take it for $600 and he happily handed over the blue box with the blank warranty card, loaded coupon, holster and mag pouch thing, and two magazines (I had been using my own magazine to test the pistol with). I hit the range today and tested a variety of loads at 25 yds. Hornady 185 gr XTPs produced 3.5" 8 shot groups with a single flier. Factory ball ammo (UMC, PMC, Blazer Brass) all ran 4.5" to 6" plus (the Remington was the worst). Everything was under 2.5" at 7 yds offhand.

I also took along my Colt "Bullseye" type pistol and my Glock 22. The Glock is what I carry and shoot the most. Sad to say but my groups with the Glock were slightly better than with the Springfield. My Colt printed under 2.5" with the Hornady XTPs. Unfortunately it has FTF and FTE issues with just about everything except 230 gr LRN loads.

I'm happy with the deal I ended up with. The Springfield shows potential and I will look into replacing the factory bushing with a custom fit oversized bushing. The temptation, of course, will be to put a lot of time and money into this pistol to make it "target pistol" accurate, at which point it may be less reliable and not the "beater" I had planned it to be. I look forward to seeing where I end up with this pistol. Someone once said the difference between a 1911 and other pistols is that you have a relationship with a 1911.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A great buy. If you don't want it. let me know, please. Whatever the accuracy of it, which I would expect to be excellent, it could be improved dramatically with a fitted NM bushing, or a bushing and barrel. If you can outshoot that gun as it sits, you have a rare ability indeed.

BTW, check to make sure the ejector is pinned, if not, it's a mod worth doing. SA loaded, GIs, and Mil Specs assembled in the US (as opposed to Brazil) may have glued-in ejectors. This is the only achilles heal of certain SA guns that I am aware of.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That was a good buy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mine has alway shot quite well. I am the limiting factor. If you aren't familiar with the target it's a 25 yard bullseye target the 10 ring is just slightly over 3 1/2 inches.

·
Registered
176 Posts
How's the trigger pull? I recently purchased a SA Loaded LW Bi-tone for a carry pistol. Fit was decent, but the trigger pull registered about 5.5 lbs on my Lyman gauge. No creep and crisp break, but 5.5 lbs feels like a ton when you are accustomed to a 3.5lb trigger. POI seems a bit low compared to POA, but that may be the stiff trigger. Haven't tried shooting it off a rest yet.

I replaced the FLGR and bushing with a GI type (Ed Brown) setup, ditched the ILS for a Ed Brown snakeskin magwell MSH. Also replaced the MS with a 19lb Ed Brown version.

Now I'm pondering the trigger. I'd like to get it down to 4lbs or so, certainly no lighter for a carry gun. The pistol sure is light and carries well in my MTAC.

I think the Springers represent a good value. It's no Baer or Wilson, but it's a very servicable, well made and handsome piece.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
For $600, If you don't want it I would buy it sight unseen based upon the description you provided... Simple decision... SOLD!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts