1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neither the Federal Tactical 230 gr. +p or 230 gr. Gold Dot are listed on the papers supplied by Wilson.

If there are numerous posts indicating that either of them do not function well in most CQBs then it will simply save me some time and money as I won't bother testing if the responses are overwhelming.

I carry 230 gr. bonded Golden Sabers now, but they may noy have been as good as I had originally thought (terminal ballistics wise). They do function perfect for me though.

Your responses will be appriciated and "thanks" in advance.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
VS1-4:
I myself have tried the Gold Dots and they functioned fine. However, between the Gold Dots and Federal Hydra-Shok's...the Hydra-Shok's (the ammo I use for summer carry), seemed to be more accurate (although both functioned fine without any problems). I just purchased a case of the Remington Bonded Golden Sabers, but haven't had a chance to try them in my pistol yet. I wanted to try the Bonded Golden Sabers as a "winter" carry round...something that wouldn't expand to quickly, yet capable of penetrating several layers of heavy clothing while still keeping its jacket and retaining 95% or more of its mass. The Bonded Golden Sabers seem to fit this requirement - no problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just because the ammo you're interested in isn't on the list or isn't recommended by Wilson, it doesn't necessarily mean that it won't run...but don't expect Wilson Combat to fix it if it doesn't run.

Sometimes you gotta try and experiment to see what your pistol likes. Every pistol (even within a particular model) behaves differently with respect to ammo.

For what it's worth, my Protector runs 230 Gr. Hydrashoks, 230 Gr. American Eagle FMJ, and 185 Gr. Winchester Silvertips without problems...

G

·
I've shot the Gold Dot's in my CQB and they ran fine.
I only shot 1 20 round box, but I shot them rapidly.
Not a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts