1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
was wondering if the cheap once fired range brass you might see online is worth buying.
I think so, but I much prefer it to be from an indoor range vs generic range brass.

The only other caveat from me is that I run my purchased 45acp brass through a bulge buster once before introducing it into my brass, just in case.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have purchased a lot of "once fired" range brass. I always figure the "once fired" claim is about as dependable as the claim of "one owner - low miles" claim by the corner car lot salesman. I visually inspect each case, fully process it (and I also use a Bulge Buster when applicable), and use it for range use. If I'm building true magnum pressure loads I'll use the Starline cases I've purchased new and KNOW how many times they have been loaded and the type use they've had. For my .45 acp, other than bulge busting, I just treat it normally since it's only used for range fodder.

Grumpy

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Alright thanks for the reply. any problem with mixed headstamps? I see mixed or sorted with all Remington-Peters or federal. Honestly i'd never even heard of Remington-Peters before.
I inspect all the brass prior to loading and discard inappropriate brass, but no longer sorting pistol brass by headstamp.

Back in the day I sorted HS and weighed bullets. Didn't make a tangible difference for any of my uses (USPSA, IDPA, Steel, mostly targets <40yrds). The occasional 45-50 yrd shot was not worth me sorting HS, weighing bullets and hand weighing each charge. Try it yourself and see if it makes a difference for you.
If I miss... it's on me. Practice.

If you take up BE competition it may matter, but admittedly that is not my interest or forte.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
All I ever shoot is my reloads from the so called once fired brass dealers, anyway I have had no problems with mixed head stamps or Glock bulge I run them through that Dillon carbide resizing die after they been cleaned .
I just wet tumbled/cleaned 2K and them ran them through the dry tumbler with some car polish, came out looking like new.
Picker

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Alright thanks for the reply. any problem with mixed headstamps? I see mixed or sorted with all Remington-Peters or federal. Honestly i'd never even heard of Remington-Peters before.
No difference at all. I use Starline for loading match ammo, I bought 2k a long time ago and have loaded them a couple dozen times. If I'm shooting somewhere that I can't recover my brass I use the mixed range brass and pickup what I can.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've not read all the responses, but thought I'd point out that if you are not using fired brass (i.e. range brass) you are not a reloader. You would be a loader using only new brass, and, perhaps, that would be satisfying, but it may save time and effort to simply buy pre-loaded (factory) ammunition. Reloading, somewhat by definition, is re-using the cases.

If there are doubts about re-using cases, they should be settled by proper inspection of the cases before using them Cracked, mangled, or otherwise suspicious cases should be culled, leaving only good to go brass.

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
I always checked the case length as when it grows longer, it's bound to get thinner.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If your prepared to sort & load for both small & large primers it can be a good value. Sometimes you can specify large only but it still need to be sorted & checke-something you don’s have to do with new Starline. I have a lot of both & just keep them separate & it works for me but prefer the LPP as I have more of those in hand.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Here is some once fired 9mm brass that has been fired who knows how many time, around $60./1000 dirty sludged scorched Glock bulge and every head stamp I have heard of and then some.
After it went through the washer, sparkles like new.
Best/picker

Plant Ingredient Food Insect Cuisine

·
Premium Member
10,785 Posts
Exactly why I rollsize 9 and 40 range brass. No issues with .45.
Dammit......another guy with one! I dont have one and I blame all the trouble with brass on Glock owners.
I used to use whatever I could find. I imagine much of my brass was used multiple times, never any issues.
Yup, my once fired, twice fired or third fired brass isnt necessarily any better than what I pick up......because thats where i got it from in the first place!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Never used any new pistol/revolver brass. I did have some new 38 Super brass for 20 years or so, but never loaded it cause I had hundreds of good used brass. Gave the new brass away when I sold a pistol. I'm still shooting the 45 ACP brass I came up with somewhere 50 years ago. I have replaced some lost rounds with range pickups and increased the count some. Pretty easy to keep one headstamp, but I'd use mixed if that's all I had.
When I was shooting PPC they gave you time to police brass while they were pasting targets, so I didn't lose a lot even then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I've not read all the responses, but thought I'd point out that if you are not using fired brass (i.e. range brass) you are not a reloader. You would be a loader using only new brass, and, perhaps, that would be satisfying, but it may save time and effort to simply buy pre-loaded (factory) ammunition. Reloading, somewhat by definition, is re-using the cases.

If there are doubts about re-using cases, they should be settled by proper inspection of the cases before using them Cracked, mangled, or otherwise suspicious cases should be culled, leaving only good to go brass.
Hi thanks for the reply I always reload my brass for other calibers and plan to for 45 I just was wondering what to expect buying once fired brass online.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There is a very wide range of prices out there for used brass. Some just cleaned others fully processed and polished. A lot of places will sell 5000 cheaper (cheaper per thousand) then if you only buy a thousand. Some outfits only sell per 100 and you have to of course buy 10 bags to get a thousand and they're always expensive.
You have to search multiple sites to find the best deals. Also some are shipping included and others shipping is additional.
If you shoot at ranges where you can pick up almost all your brass you don't need as many. But if you shoot matches several times a month you can lose more. Big matches you normally get none of your brass back so competition shooters will go through a lot more brass.
The worst I saw was at a store where they had bags of once fired 9mm, 250 per bag at around $65 per bag. Around $275 for a thousand 9mm.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There is a very wide range of prices out there for used brass. Some just cleaned others fully processed and polished. A lot of places will sell 5000 cheaper (cheaper per thousand) then if you only buy a thousand. Some outfits only sell per 100 and you have to of course buy 10 bags to get a thousand and they're always expensive.
You have to search multiple sites to find the best deals. Also some are shipping included and others shipping is additional.
If you shoot at ranges where you can pick up almost all your brass you don't need as many. But if you shoot matches several times a month you can lose more. Big matches you normally get none of your brass back so competition shooters will go through a lot more brass.
The worst I saw was at a store where they had bags of once fired 9mm, 250 per bag at around $65 per bag. Around $275 for a thousand 9mm.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Another great way to purchase it if there are any in your area is local gun shows. I always buy new not once fired but thats just my way.(Actually I am stocked for life no need to buy) If you go to shows you can actually see what you are buying ,look the guy in the eye , talk to him and get a much better take on what you are buying.I do not trust online sellers and I know there are good ones ,its just not my cup of tea.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts