1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
range brass for .45 works well. it is possible to get some .45 gap which you don't want, but inspect each case and you should be fine. i got a 55 gal barrel one time. for free. had to pick out the .40 and 9mm.

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
I split an order of 20,000 TZZ/TZ once fired brass with another Bullseye shooter over 10 years ago.
I do not think either of us has purchased any more .45 ACP brass since then.
I am half way though my 3rd (IIRC) cycle on my 10,0000 shells.

I no longer compete due to other medical issues.

Once it was sorted carefully (I used case neck thickness run-out) it won plenty of matches up to a few state level ones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Nick,
I personally would not buy once fired brass unless I knew where exactly it came from. The problem is that if it is from a commercial range, it is probably an assortment of various brands and head stamps and there is no real guarantee that it is really ONCE fired. It may be from some garbage Range Reloads with all kinds of assorted brands and when they end up on the floor, there is no way to tell any more. There is also the problem that dimensionally some brands are quite different which makes consistent velocities and crimping not so easy.

If I find someone who is shooting new ammunition and not picking up their brass, I don't mind taking it.

There are also some calibers I have never had much luck in getting good looking reloads with brass from other guns such as with 9 mm. If I size the brass to guarantee a fit, then the round looks like a Coke bottle and the the front of the case is sized too much. If I size it to look like a factory round, it may not fit a gun it did not come out of.

With .30-06, I use pretty much anything that is even remotely close. Since I don't own a .270 and probably never will, I will reform .270 brass as well.

- Ivan.
I load 20k Once fired brass (range pickup) for 9mm Major without problems every year. I have bought from many places online. I have loaded brass that you couldn't even read the stamp on the bottom with no issues.

.45 is such a low power round, i have never had a problem (loaded 15k rounds over10 years)

Don't overthink this.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hi all I'm about to start reloading for a 45 1911. and was wondering if the cheap once fired range brass you might see online is worth buying.

I don't have a range to pick up brass at myself as I shoot on my own land.

if it matters I will mostly be shooting light target loads and will be casting my own bullets.

Thanks for any replies.

Nick

Hope this is the right spot to post this sorry if it isn't
Back in the 1980s I picked up a bunch of military .45acp brass at the range with 'FA 14' headstands. They reloaded just fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Gentlemen,
You are missing my point. There is little doubt that the range brass is safe, especially with pistols. It is more about consistency with assorted head stamps / brands. It will be an accuracy limitation.
If you only expect no better than a 3 inch group at 25 yards with a pistol or a 3 MOA group with your rifle, then assorted cases probably won't hurt things much. But then you need to ask yourself why you spend so much money on premium target guns.

I prefer guns that shoot better than I do and ammunition that is less of a limit than I am.

That doesn't mean that I don't use range brass. I still have a couple thousand 9 mm military cases with only a couple head stamps sitting in s can an a few hundred LC 67 and LC 68 cases that were all shot from Garands.
Consistent is good.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi all I'm about to start reloading for a 45 1911. and was wondering if the cheap once fired range brass you might see online is worth buying.

I don't have a range to pick up brass at myself as I shoot on my own land.

if it matters I will mostly be shooting light target loads and will be casting my own bullets.

Thanks for any replies.

Nick

Hope this is the right spot to post this sorry if it isn't
Most of this range brass is from govt or private ranges. If you buy 1000 rounds you’ll still probably have 950 of it in 5 years. I reuse my brass and pick it of the range floor sometimes, and I haven’t bought any since the initial purchase 15 years ago.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’ve been reloading 45ACP Military Brass Stamped WCC ”71” with the occasional rare “69”. I picked up several thousand back in 1972 at the Pistol Range… still reloading it…as a matter of I still have a most of it that I’ve never touched other than cleaned polished and deprimed. I can’t seem to wear it out…I get an occasional split case but I can probably still remember each split case…that’s how seldom they wear out. The advantage is that they’re all stamped identically so I don’t worry about case differences…I simply find a load that works and adjust for accuracy. I rarely need/use hot loads. 45 ACP brass is fantastic…9mm/380 not so much…I get quite a few split/worn cases. With the price of ammo nowadays, having once fired brass from your purchased ammo is getting harder to come by. I’ve pretty much worn out that factory ammo brass..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have handguns that have never fired anything except fired reloaded brass, filled dozens and dozens of big game tags using fired then reloaded brass.
I began reloading 40 years ago with mixed once fired brass and have shot no telling how many, picked up reloaded and fired thousands from ranges or on public land,
Clean, look them over and load, and have had no problems. I will get split necks on worn out cases.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have loaded 45 since around 1974 and never had any issues with cases wearing out. Of course a few will split over time and just get tossed. But the comment about the low power just not stressing the cases is well taken. About 10 years ago I read an article about reloading steel 45 cases and tried it. AT first, I did not want steel cases in my sizing dies for fear they might get scratched. Next I was concerned about those steel cases maybe grinding grains of sand into my chambers, all needless worry. But what I did first was to reload the 45 acp to fire in my singe action Uberti that I used with the 45 acp cylinder. that I fitted to it. My loads were moderate, 6.5 grains of Unique with a 225 lead bullet, nothing hot at all. I shot those in the revolvers. What I found was that the steel cases at that power level last longer than the brass cases. I started with 50 each brass and steel Tullamo, I kept track of those cases and over time, the brass cases split about 6% first failure rate when compared to brass at that power level. The brass were better than steel. Other researchers have reported a greater failure rate with steel, however, their loads were hotter. which is the point. If you load hot, stay with brass.

I have lots more reloadings on them now and quit keeping records on them. It was just a project, except I now have other guns I reload the steel cases for the SW Governor for one. I did not shoot them much in my 1911s as I wanted to save every case just for that test.

A more recent test I tried was the same loading but this time using those aluminum cases with small pistol primers. I have not fired them enough to make any finding, I just know that the first couple reloads of the aluminum cases work fine. I assume the aluminum would not resize like brass and not last long, but the point made above was that the 45 acp is such a low powered round that the case gets very little working, so that is probably why I have not had failures in the aluminum either. I do not like any 45 cases with small pistol primers, so losing them is just fine. However, loading the aluminum at gallery load levels for the revolvers can be a hoot. I have even loaded a 100 rounds of them with a round ball, 145 grain ball at about 800 fps is a pretty fun load and accurate enough for any cowboy work or camp chores you need to do. Skunks, snakes, empty Spam cans, etc.

The 45 acp is such a fine round, that there is absolutely nothing wrong with haveing a CCW 45 auto concealed and also carry an exposed single action in 45 acp for plinking,

·
Premium Member
10,788 Posts
Back in the 1980s I picked up a bunch of military .45acp brass at the range with 'FA 14' headstands. They reloaded just fine.
And they will continue to, until the headstamp is unreadable!
If you only expect no better than a 3 inch group at 25 yards with a pistol
You won’t get that with factory target junk.
And yes, I can do that with mixed headstamps.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts