1911Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here's my on going list of brass I throw in the dumpster. I can choose to be picky because it's free.
All my rounds go through a Shockbottle. The gauge fail rate is less than one half of 1 percent.

Maxxtech
MXT
FM
Aguila
Ammoland
ZQI
WMA
Xtream
A USA
Troy
GFL
NORMA
DoubleTap
TECH
OMPC
Perfecta

·
Super Moderator
7,986 Posts
My Chambers built 9x19 PPC gun.

50 yards. 10 shots. Ransom rest. Hornady 115 XTP, Power Pistol and mixed headstamp brass. Loaded on a Dillon 1100.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello Tom Freeman,
I guess you must be right and my own observation that my friend's Ruger .45 was consistently jamming on one brand of case must have never happened.
All those people who warned about reducing powder charges with heavier rifle cases and folks who weigh cases for consistency and segregate by lot numbers MUST be completely insane.

My dies or press (550B) must be strange because at times I have have had to adjust the flare and crimp when a brand of cases was a bit different in length.

- Ivan.

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
Gentlemen,
You are missing my point. There is little doubt that the range brass is safe, especially with pistols. It is more about consistency with assorted head stamps / brands. It will be an accuracy limitation.
If you only expect no better than a 3 inch group at 25 yards with a pistol or a 3 MOA group with your rifle, then assorted cases probably won't hurt things much. But then you need to ask yourself why you spend so much money on premium target guns.

I prefer guns that shoot better than I do and ammunition that is less of a limit than I am.

That doesn't mean that I don't use range brass. I still have a couple thousand 9 mm military cases with only a couple head stamps sitting in s can an a few hundred LC 67 and LC 68 cases that were all shot from Garands.
Consistent is good.

- Ivan.
Reloaded ammo is as good as you are and often better than factory because quality control is in your hands.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Almost all my brass is Once-Fired. (sadly, I did have to buy some loaded ammo a few times). 45acp, 9mm, 30-06 - "Once Fired" just means it's been fire-formed ;-)

Just remember: it's CHEAPER than virgin-brass.. Some vendors don't seem to grok the concept.
grok
Shades of Heinlein ?

Reactions: longarm

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
There is nothing wrong w/ used brass. I have 12k rounds that will probably outlast me.

·
Premium Member
10,792 Posts
Three inch groups IS a pretty low standard. How about one inch or just one ragged hole?

Do you also use assorted brass with rifles?

- Ivan.
First off, you are speaking about pistol and rifle cases as if they should be treated the same.
There’s a whole bunch of us that clean and ram mixed headstamp pistol range pickup stuff through a progressive and have a perfectly fine result. I’m not good enough to really see a difference and I sure as hell cant shoot one ragged hole from 25 yards no matter what you give me!
Rifles are totally different. I can hit a gnats ass with a good piece of glass. Yes I sort brass.
Yes, I use premium components. Yes, I bag the crap outta my bench!

·
Premium Member
10,792 Posts
Hello Tom Freeman,
I guess you must be right and my own observation that my friend's Ruger .45 was consistently jamming on one brand of case must have never happened.
All those people who warned about reducing powder charges with heavier rifle cases and folks who weigh cases for consistency and segregate by lot numbers MUST be completely insane.

My dies or press (550B) must be strange because at times I have have had to adjust the flare and crimp when a brand of cases was a bit different in length.

- Ivan.
Do you trim your pistol brass too??
Weigh and separate your projectiles into groups?
You must be very very good.....
I’m gonna go out on a limb here......
Some of us have read Toms posts for quite some time. I would venture to guess that he probably has a significant edge over your metallic case reloading prowess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello Nitro.45,
I would concur with your evaluation of Tom Freeman's vs my reloading practices.

Yes, I do take a lot more care with rifle reloading.

As for accuracy with a pistol, I used to be a lot better 20 years ago than I probably am today. I was very consistent when shooting off the bench. With my .22 Buckmark I was getting 10 shot groups of 3/4 inch at 25 yards with Remington Target stuff. Their High Velocity was only good for 1 inch 10 shot groups. Thumbtacks at 15 yards could be hit about half the time.
At a Personal Projection class, I asked for permission from my coach and then shot out the staples holding my target up. When my target flopped down it had the other instructors confused for a bit. That was with a.357 firing Blazer .38 Spl at either 7 or 10 yards so it was not that hard. Later they taped my targets up.

With a 1911 and my cast and weighed SWC, I was able to shoot 1 inch 5 shot groups. This was a two cavity mould and slow. When I bought nominally the same mould in 6 cavity, bullets were not the same shape. I figured after a while that the slight accuracy improvement was not worth the time.

Btw, the accuracy of that Buckmark gradually fell off and after about 15K rounds, the firing pin is so worn that it missfires most of the time. I bought a second gun but the accuracy wasn't even close.

- Ivan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For a .45, I would be less concerned with "once fired" brass than I would for something like a 9mm or 40 S&W, .357, etc. A .45 is a low pressure round.

That said, I buy "once fired" brass all of the time and reload it for my 9mm Major Open gun, and so far so good. Occasionally a .380 case slips in, but I have 2 chances to weed those out before they get loaded.

1)When I load the brass in the feeder.
2) When it drops from the feeder, I can compare the height to the case that just got de-primed in station 1.

Occasionally you'll get one with a crimped primer pocket, and those either won't de-prime, (either push the de-primer pin up, or break it), or the new primer won't seat.

For the .45, I would be double-checking for large vs small primer cases. You don't want to be loading large primers and let a small-primer case sneak in. The primer MAY go off.
have had a few go bang that way sure helps the blood to pump faster

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hi all I'm about to start reloading for a 45 1911. and was wondering if the cheap once fired range brass you might see online is worth buying.

I don't have a range to pick up brass at myself as I shoot on my own land.

if it matters I will mostly be shooting light target loads and will be casting my own bullets.
========
Hello Nick,

I love range brass. It's a great way to save a ton of money if you can get primers.
The major problem I see is that some sellers have range brass with mixed large and small primers. GGRRRRR.
Sorting those out is painful.

As far as performance goes, since 45 acp is such a low pressure round, They last for a very long time.
Unless you are a superior match shooter it really doesn't make much difference in accuracy.
Different headstamps don't matter much. Bullets don't matter much either.
I once dug some FMJ bullets out of the backstop and reloaded them. They still grouped about 4 inches at 25 yards.

I've found that the key to 45 happiness is to use lube when resizing, then adequate (separate) taper crimp after seating.
The lube puts less stress on the case.
I remove the lube using a spray can of common acetone-based carb or brake cleaner and old newspapers to absorb the lube.

For powder, try get some fast burning powder for light target loads.
These work great: 231, hp38, bullseye, red dot, clays, target, BA10, titegroup,

For cast bullets, LEE 200 gr swc or similar works great. It's a common bullet style. The molds are cheap.
For lube. I use grease but everybody likes to coat and bake nowadays.

I can give more details if you want.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts