1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just replaced my RL550 with an XL750, and I'm very pleased with it overall. I'm really digging the auto-indexing and the case feeder.

One thing I'm running into right now is that about 1 out of every 10 or 12 primers doesn't feed into the primer cup, and during the next cycle, the press seems to spit it out randomly. Not sure if that makes sense, so let me try this:

Pull number 1: Pull handle, primer bar picks up primer correctly, all is good.

Pull number 2: Pull handle, primer cup comes back empty from the primer magazine.

Pull number 3: Pull handle, primer cup picks up new primer correctly, but also spits out the primer that was missed on pull number 2, usually on the floor and somehow always in a difficult-to-reach area.

I know that there is an alignment procedure in the Dillon manual for the primer system, and it appears to be aligned properly to me. Also, 90%+ of the time, the primers feed properly, so I'm a little confused. I plan on reaching out to Dillon on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this behavior.

Anyone run into this issue?

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Try realigning the primer housing. It sounds like it also could be the primers in the feed tube aren’t sitting flat causing a misfeed. After I load the pick up tube I put the plastic rod thru to make sure the primers are against each other in the tube ( which is blind obviously), and then drop them in. Small or large primer? Just curious.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try realigning the primer housing. It sounds like it also could be the primers in the feed tube aren’t sitting flat causing a misfeed. After I load the pick up tube I put the plastic rod thru to make sure the primers are against each other in the tube ( which is blind obviously), and then drop them in. Small or large primer? Just curious.
I checked the alignment per the Dillon manual, but I'll check it again. I didn't think about the possibility that the primers aren't sitting flat in the tube - I had a pickup tube years ago that would constantly jam while filling it up - maybe I'll try another pickup tube and see if that helps.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to say, but I'm currently loading LPP .45. Haven't tried SPP yet to see if I get the same issue.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is the plastic tip on the bottom of the primer tube (inside the black magazine shield) locked into position? Also, check the two screws that hold the primer assembly in place. They can be too loose as well as too tight.
I had a few similar problems with primers when I first started. I chalked it up to inexperience and a new machine that needed to break in. Eventually the primer issues went away. Let us know when you get it resolved.

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Good point by BillKilgore on the primer tube being in the notch. Additionally, I saw a YT video where a guy put an empty 45acp case on the rod giving it some added weight as you load.
FWIW, I put one on mine.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've used the 45 case on the rod on the 550 for years - works well. The priming system screws are all tight and the primer magazine tube locked in in the notch.

I might also try changing the plastic tip of the magazine tube - I've also heard folks say that helped them with similar issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,299 Posts
Make sure the blue tip is properly aligned in the housing and make sure the blue tip isnt damaged.

I replaced the primer bearing plate on my 550s with the JW Systems version. Much nicer. I dont know if it will work on the 750, I assume it would as the primer assembly looks identical.

Also, make sure you dont have the two bolts that hold down the primer housing over-tightened.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the primer bearing plate on my 550s with the JW Systems version. Much nicer. I dont know if it will work on the 750, I assume it would as the primer assembly looks identical.
Not sure that it would work - the priming system on the 750 is very similar to the 550, but it's not identical.

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Forgot to say, but I'm currently loading LPP .45. Haven't tried SPP yet to see if I get the same issue.
Interestingly and maybe worthless information, but my 750 came ’set up’ for LPP and 45 acp.
I had a few issues And eventually got them sorted. When I switched to SPP and adjusted things according to the instructions, I had no issues. I guess my point is that maybe straight out of the box, they still need a little tweaking.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interestingly and maybe worthless information, but my 750 came ’set up’ for LPP and 45 acp.
I had a few issues And eventually got them sorted. When I switched to SPP and adjusted things according to the instructions, I had no issues. I guess my point is that maybe straight out of the box, they still need a little tweaking.
Mine was set the same from the factory. I need to set up my 9mm dies anyway, so maybe I'll swap over and recheck the adjustments with SPP and see if I still have issues.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I took the primer system completely apart, cleaned the magazine tube with alcohol, replaced the red magazine tip (the original one was slightly deformed and wouldn't let the magazine tube release from the blast shield without some finesse), readjusted the op-rod swivel block to 5 5/8" above the base, per the manual (it was about 1/8" too high), and double-checked the alignment. I also had to adjust the case feed system, as it wasn't dropping cases 100% of the time.

I also found one of my missing primers!!! :D

Haven't tried more loading to see if it corrected the issues, but I'm guardedly optimistic. I'll let you all know how it goes, but I'm really suspicious of that red magazine tip that had the lips spread enough to prevent the magazine tube from being released from the shield.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That was a good idea. Now you know it is adjusted properly for sure. Hopefully that will take care of the problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It just amazes me that online troubleshooting just never provides the answer one needs!!! Dillon troubleshooting videos are great, but they never address the issue I am having!! FAQs, forget about it. Never helps me out at all. I always end up with trial by error, reading everything, and trying to compile everything., I always figure out the issue myself!!!!

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
So I took the primer system completely apart, cleaned the magazine tube with alcohol, replaced the red magazine tip (the original one was slightly deformed and wouldn't let the magazine tube release from the blast shield without some finesse), readjusted the op-rod swivel block to 5 5/8" above the base, per the manual (it was about 1/8" too high), and double-checked the alignment. I also had to adjust the case feed system, as it wasn't dropping cases 100% of the time.

I also found one of my missing primers!!! :D

Haven't tried more loading to see if it corrected the issues, but I'm guardedly optimistic. I'll let you all know how it goes, but I'm really suspicious of that red magazine tip that had the lips spread enough to prevent the magazine tube from being released from the shield.
I had the same problem from the factory set up for 9mm. I set it all to spec and replaced the tip as you did. It solved my issues. I did the 45 case trick and I also spent a lot of time aligning the primer cup at the primer end and the press end. Clean the tube with air after every session and swab it with alcohol occasionally. FWIW I blow out the case feed tube and the hopper, too, as it collects cleaning media and other dirt from who knows where.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts