1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I believe they call it an Experior extractor and it is internal, but what is an Experior Extractor as compared to a traditional extractor. I did not see anything in the video.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Oh wait a moment. This pistol in double stack form is internal extractor? That implies to me a standard slide assembly............interesting. I'm going to have to sell my X9 and get one of these and try my hand at asking loudly for a steel frame instead. That upper sells it for me and if I can just get a material change and some other stuff this could finally hit the mark for a 9mm for me.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I believe they call it an Experior extractor and it is internal, but what is an Experior Extractor as compared to a traditional extractor. I did not see anything in the video.
I'd bet its a traditional extractor, no different than a standard 1911.

·
Super Moderator
14,223 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I'd bet its a traditional extractor, no different than a standard 1911.
Thought I read or heard on the video “Experior” extractor but just re-read and listened to the video again and it says a traditional 1911 extractor.

That what I get for reading it right after my nap.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I must say that I’m pretty satisfied with the Wilson’s that I have. More of a traditionalist although I do have an X9. Not seeing anything that makes me want to order a new gun and being retired that is a good thing.

Will be interested in shooting one to see how the grip treatment feels in the hand but am doubtful that it will be better than the X-tac, but still a nice option. Still prefer an aggressive checkering.

I am confident that the new line will be a good seller.

New models are not a bad thing as long as the old standards remain in place.
+1911.

I was about to write essentially the same thoughts, albeit without having experience with the more aggressive checkering, serrations, etc. added in recent years. I'm quite happy with my current stable of (old-time) Wilson 1911s ...and ARs.

If a lot of people favor newer treatments, that's also a good thing.

It may also increase future sub-forum interest and new threads, as people share their experiences, perspectives, etc. .... and of course asking and responding to the perpetual question of "which should I choose?".

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I’m in the “Wilson is releasing too many new models” boat, but I’m sure they’ll sell a bunch. I miss the days of classically-styled CQBs, Classics, and Protectors (the old Protectors). I find it interesting that Wilson is pushing this new Experior as basically being a decked out pistol with a ton of options out of the box. Didn’t they do that a few years ago when they revamped the Protector line?

I personally wish they would focus more on build quality - barrel fit, slide to frame fit, ball endmill cuts, rear sights that you can’t see light through, magwell fit, etc. I feel like they did some of these things better in the early 2000s and they are just pushing all kinds of new products and “innovations” (wave cuts on the frame rails.. really?)

And now, I fully expect to be bashed but this is how I truly feel having been one of the biggest Wilson Combat fans in the past and a previous owner of a few of their older 1911s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I’m in the “Wilson is releasing too many new models” boat, but I’m sure they’ll sell a bunch. I miss the days of classically-styled CQBs, Classics, and Protectors (the old Protectors). I find it interesting that Wilson is pushing this new Experior as basically being a decked out pistol with a ton of options out of the box. Didn’t they do that a few years ago when they revamped the Protector line?

I personally wish they would focus more on build quality - barrel fit, slide to frame fit, ball endmill cuts, rear sights that you can’t see light through, magwell fit, etc. I feel like they did some of these things better in the early 2000s and they are just pushing all kinds of new products and “innovations” (wave cuts on the frame rails.. really?)

And now, I fully expect to be bashed but this is how I truly feel having been one of the biggest Wilson Combat fans in the past and a previous owner of a few of their older 1911s.

No bashing from me. +1911. Good input and words of wisdom as to why most of us are in the Wilson Combat camp. It was quality, not number of features, that first sold me on Wilson Combat. Build quality should always take priority over number of features, models, etc.

Hopefully Wilson can do both in this particular case, but your words of wisdom reflect an absolute priority IMHO.

Also, improvements are good if they really are improvements; but sometimes there can be a fine line between an improvement versus a planned obsolescence type of styling change. I don't think Wilson has crossed that fine line, but this possible concern merits attentive awareness in future design innovations.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
What’s the difference between and EDC-X9 and Experior Compact Double Stack?

Experior:

Interior extractor
Frag pattern grip
Wide Cocking serrations
Magwell (may not be able to order without){someone needs to call and find out if magwell can be deleted}
Looks like a dovetail front sight as well, instead of the Glockish one of the EDC X9

Might make a difference if ya need to swap front sites

·
Super Moderator
14,223 Posts

Then just buy their traditional models.:)

·
Registered
517 Posts
From my personal experience, I think Wilson isn't the great pistol it once was. I have had my troubles with a pistol lately. I tend to agree that Wilson is choosing quantity over quality and something is going to give. I am actually waiting on two Wilsons just to point out I am not just busting on Wilson. I will say the other day I told my wife I was buying another pistol and she said fine. Today she got around to asking what kind and I replied a Wilson. That got me the "are you stupid" look.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Looks like the double-stack compact has the same grip length as the Commander & 5-inch versions. Kinda weird IMO.

That 6-inch is a looker though (with the mile-long ball & carry cuts). Me likey.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts

The rear sight is intentional for a good reason, it only puts load/stress on a known point and it's much easier to change out and doesn't allow stupid stuff like the sight ejecting since the blend job loosened it up like on all my NHC and Kimbers. Wilson is the only pistol I've never have a sight issue and my carry has been dropped 8 times 4 of them on the sights with zero shift. Racked countless times off my belt, heel, walls, car doors, tables, ETC.

Wilson does it right with sights. I do agree the 2010-2013 guns are the glory days, my 2011 guns are so much better than current ones they objectively outclass modern supergrades in tightness, blend, sound, and finish since high gloss is not readily offered anymore.

However, even that said, my newer guns 2017 and up all work 100% and take whatever I throw at them. That's what I want in my hard use guns, if I want something fancy I'll get a nighthawk or Cabot. If I'm shooting I want a Wilson or Brown.

My carry comp is a 47500 round gun, lots of +P (like 5500 at least), some super, and has never failed me and I've run it so hard that I melted plastic parts a few times. It's literally my most reliable weapon and it was a 2011 build that was and is still my standard for how a 1911 should be built and I have a twin unfired one to serve as my "reference" handgun all others are compared to. Even at this round count it STILL has that "sound" of precision and even though the awe inspiring edge has worn off its superior starting point allows it to continue to compare favorably to new Wilsons.

NHC guns are tighter, smoother, better triggers, but are not consistently good gun to gun and most importantly do not run like a Wilson. However if your goal is simply a fantastic looking gun they nail it.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts

I do agree the 2010-2013 guns are the glory days, my 2011 guns are so much better than current ones they objectively outclass modern supergrades in tightness, blend, sound, and finish since high gloss is not readily offered anymore.

However, even that said, my newer guns 2017 and up all work 100% and take whatever I throw at them. That's what I want in my hard use guns, if I want something fancy I'll get a nighthawk or Cabot. If I'm shooting I want a Wilson or Brown.
All of my Wilson 1911s came from that approximate time period (2009 to 2014 in my case). So very interesting observations. Most of mine are SGs, but the non-SGs (Carry Comp and Hunter) are just as you've described (although I don't have a current build to use as a comparative reference point).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Man I love my EDC X9. My only gripe about it was the external extractor, purely just an aesthetic thing for me. Looks like the eXperior compact double stack is the answer to that. Not sure I can justify having both when they are so very close to being the same. Sigh wish these hadn't of come out :|

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I can't help but notice when Wilson makes a "big announcement" it's something new/different/interesting/innovative/high quality. When Glock makes a big announcement it's something they should have been building 25+ years ago...and just as ugly as all the rest. :D

Are these guns customizable or are they strictly "as is?" For example, if one wanted a blank slide or to omit the front serrations? And sorry if this was mentioned and I missed it.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts