1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Related to the above, I've mentioned this before, and I'll say it again, I'd like to see some model's from WC which are "sportier". Here is what I mean about that, my STI CC out-shoots my WC CC by a little. Plus the STI has higher capacity. But similar to your view on "less likely to stop working", I just don't feel my STI is built on par with the WC as far as ruggedness (granted only a sample of 1 STI in my part vs 5 WC's). So what I would really get excited about, would be intrinsic WC ruggedness with STI-type shooting enhancements, like a speed-shoot magwell (or whatever it is called), high-cap-45, barrel-mounted island FS, and yes, even a poly grip (which absorbs recoil), and whatever other innovation's WC might add. This would be true differentiation to what WC offer's now...All these trim enhancements in the latest WC offerings are nice, but meh, not enough to go out and buy a new gun when my WC 45'a are already running 110%. I have the Xtac grip on one of them, if I could magically get it on the other 4 WC, I would, but short of that, not much I am getting excited about with this or even less so, the last "lower-budget" offering from last month.

Outside the X9 and its version in this offering, I am not sure how this offering expands their brand much vs the offerings they already have now. But, of course I wish them well and hope they make many incremental sales, I have 5 WC Lifetime warranties I've invested in :).
You may only have one but how about the crowd you guys happen to travel in. What has been your experience if any with those around you that have STI's? What has their experiences been like?

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
You may only have one but how about the crowd you guys happen to travel in. What has been your experience if any with those around you that have STI's? What has their experiences been like?
STI's are very big in the competition market at all levels...When I was running my WC TE in Limit Division with a 10r mag stick in it, almost everyone else in the division where running STI's. There is a lot of bang for the performance buck. But they also have their carry model's etc. To answer your question, it seems that most STI owners are very happy with them (very limited anecdotal data from those I met at matches and my observation's from the STI-folder). Not sure what % of them have a WC to compare them too though. I can only draw conclusion's based on my personal experience with caveats noted (ie, only a sample of 1 STI vs 5 WC's), and that conclusion is: STI's are built like race-car's, WC 1911's like Humvee's (meaning very-hardy), kinda ;-).

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
STI's are very big in the competition market at all levels...When I was running my WC TE in Limit Division with a 10r mag stick in it, almost everyone else in the division where running STI's. There is a lot of bang for the performance buck. But they also have their carry model's etc. To answer your question, it seems that most STI owners are very happy with them (very limited anecdotal data from those I met at matches and my observation's from the STI-folder). Not sure what % of them have a WC to compare them too though. I can only draw conclusion's based on my personal experience with caveats noted (ie, only a sample of 1 STI vs 5 WC's), and that conclusion is: STI's are built like race-car's, WC 1911's like Humvee's (meaning very-hardy), kinda ;-).
Great feedback. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I must say, WC isnt sitting back on their model lines. Reminiscent of some of the car manufacturers like BMW and Mercedes which have a ton of different models that its hard to keep track. But it seems a bit busy for me was my first reaction. Some of the detail/enhancements sound good.
“Don’t be the first and dont be the last”, someone once told me.
But after all, it is 2019...2020!!
I guess the market will determine its popularity/longevity.

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
The current variety of offerings is well-illustrated in Wilson's 2020 Calendar.

On the whole, it is good to see the variety (well, maybe I'm not a fan of the Glocks), but I confess to a small pang of sadness in noting the absence of the old-time, full-size SG Classic flagship. (Although there is a nicely engraved Tactical SG for one month).

It's obviously just me, and maybe my age, but I'd surely like to see the SG Classic over a Glock, even a pair of Glocks, in the Wilson annual calendar. Maybe I can juxtapose a Classic SG photo from an earlier Wilson calendar when the Glock month rolls around.:dope:

So there, I got that off my chest. And this detail aside, +1911 for another great Wilson calendar.:rock:

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Welcome back, it's been nearly 3 months since you commented in the WC forum, hope all is well.

We'd (I'd) love to hear any more insight into this model is there's anything further you can share or clear up. What other names were in consideration for this pistol? How long has this been in the works?

I did email WC today and asked about the double-stack magwell delete. They said "yes" the Experior double-stack models can be ordered without the magwell.

Some of the Experior line has already hit the online market.
Now that our customer service team is well established I normally don't comment on customer service or marketing issues here anymore.

Bill Wilson is over brand/marketing for all products and he came up with the name Experior.

WC has been working on this for over a year I would estimate.

Any other questions? [email protected] is your best bet.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
So, since the double stacks on this line seem to be more standard 1911 uppers, I'm wondering if you can get the compact barrel comped with the double stack frame?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I know I saw it somewhere (cannot find location for this quick response) but I believe the 9mm models utilize the newer locking lug system for the EDCX9 series, regardless of the extractor location. The comp barrels utilize the traditional two-lug design.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
The X9 barrel compatibility issue is from the barrel ramp area, not the lugs. I looked everything over and called back and forth a lot about that since I am hell bent on having a comped X9 type framed gun at some point.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dang, that would have been sweet
Agree. Just now getting into comped 1911 pistols. Haven’t even got my new X-Tac Elite Carry Comp yet but expect to really enjoy it. Just wondering if anyone has tried the NHC Fire Hawk comp? NightHawk has the a double stack option for this build.

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
Now that our customer service team is well established I normally don't comment on customer service or marketing issues here anymore.

Bill Wilson is over brand/marketing for all products and he came up with the name Experior.

WC has been working on this for over a year I would estimate.

Any other questions? [email protected] is your best bet.
I was wondering if you retired ;). Retirement is a good-gig.:)

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Dang, that would have been sweet
Agree. Just now getting into comped 1911 pistols. Haven’t even got my new X-Tac Elite Carry Comp yet but expect to really enjoy it. Just wondering if anyone has tried the NHC Fire Hawk comp? NightHawk has the a double stack option for this build.
Yes, it's not carry sized and it uses the stroker system of operation plus a very heavy front assembly. It's more effective than the Wilson version but not as durable or insensitive to maintenance but they will make a double stack full race version on request but if you want that route ask for the EGW 7 port comp instead since it works better than a single.

Different goals in each gun really, the carry comp system is for maximum possible performance in a gun you can tear round carry and the firehawk is a range gun

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
Yes, it's not carry sized and it uses the stroker system of operation plus a very heavy front assembly. It's more effective than the Wilson version but not as durable or insensitive to maintenance but they will make a double stack full race version on request but if you want that route ask for the EGW 7 port comp instead since it works better than a single.

Different goals in each gun really, the carry comp system is for maximum possible performance in a gun you can tear round carry and the firehawk is a range gun
The NH is an interesting gun, something I'd like to enjoy...I can't tell from their sight if the barrel length speced at 5" includes the compensator in that 5"...The gun looks shorter than my 5" WC-Custom comp, but that may just be an internet optical illusion.

I would think the better WC comparison of this NH might be what the WC custom shop build for me, a 5" gun with the Comped Hunter barrel (it is in addition to the 5"es)...If my assumption is correct, I'd go with WC if for no other reason just to grab the Xtac f/r-strap treatment, but I am also guessing WC has a richer set of option than NH (just guessing as I don't own the latter)...There is also company diversification to consider, already owning 5 WCs, not a bad idea to go with another company. But that can burn both ways, my Conan 357 no longer has a warranty now that Conan went out of business.

Is there anything else that NH gives one that a 5" WC custom-comp doesn't?

·
Registered
7,408 Posts

The NH is an interesting gun, something I'd like to enjoy...I can't tell from their sight if the barrel length speced at 5" includes the compensator in that 5"...The gun looks shorter than my 5" WC-Custom comp, but that may just be an internet optical illusion.

I would think the better WC comparison of this NH might be what the WC custom shop build for me, a 5" gun with the Comped Hunter barrel (it is in addition to the 5"es)...If my assumption is correct, I'd go with WC if for no other reason just to grab the Xtac f/r-strap treatment, but I am also guessing WC has a richer set of option than NH (just guessing as I don't own the latter)...There is also company diversification to consider, already owning 5 WCs, not a bad idea to go with another company. But that can burn both ways, my Conan 357 no longer has a warranty now that Conan went out of business.

Is there anything else that NH gives one that a 5" WC custom-comp doesn't?
It's 5" overall, there is one in my LGS I can take detailed pictures of if you would like. NHC unlike Wilson will do whatever you want and use whoever's parts you want for crazy one off stuff. They in my personal opinion are more nicely (if a little inconsistent gun to gun) finished and are tighter guns (not always a good thing) and the ability to have them make you ANYTHING comes into play sometimes.

The firehawk will have less recoil than your 5" comped gun due to more static mass and very long stroke and very effective springs and a good comp. It's very impressive and I was tempted at first to order a DS 9mm with optics to replace my Brown but the reliability differential held me back.

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
It's 5" overall, there is one in my LGS I can take detailed pictures of if you would like. NHC unlike Wilson will do whatever you want and use whoever's parts you want for crazy one off stuff. They in my personal opinion are more nicely (if a little inconsistent gun to gun) finished and are tighter guns (not always a good thing) and the ability to have them make you ANYTHING comes into play sometimes.

The firehawk will have less recoil than your 5" comped gun due to more static mass and very long stroke and very effective springs and a good comp. It's very impressive and I was tempted at first to order a DS 9mm with optics to replace my Brown but the reliability differential held me back.
Yea thanks, picks would be nice, but only if you are going there anyway, please don't make a special trip...

I think then that the NH is carryable then just like any non-comped 5". My 5" plus C-Comp is not really carryable short of a shoulder holster.

4Q:

1) Keep in mind, on my 5" plus comp, the (additional) weight of the comp is hanging off the end of the gun which is also dampening recoil. It is like a flange barrel on steroids just because of the weight and how it extends out beyond the muzzle per se (+ the comp action of course). With this in mind, do you still think the NH would be a lower recoil gun?

2) You know my pet peeve about getting a sub 3.5# trigger from WC without signing a wavier. Do you know if NH does sub-3.5#'s without documentation?

3) How is the NH 5" stroke longer than any other 5" gun?

4) Have you had an opportunity to shoot the NH?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I was looking at the Experior Sub-Compact. It's a good looking pistol.

Site says it's 4.8 inches high and holds 8 rounds of 9mm. How did they do that? My Compact is 4.9 inches high and holds 8 rounds. Does the magwell allow them to use Compact mags in what I assume is a Sentinel grip? Or is it a typo?

In any case, I can barely get all three fingers on a compact grip. If the Experior Sub-Compact will allow me to get three fingers on it as well then I might need to have one.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts

Yea thanks, picks would be nice, but only if you are going there anyway, please don't make a special trip...

I think then that the NH is carryable then just like any non-comped 5". My 5" plus C-Comp is not really carryable short of a shoulder holster.

4Q:

1) Keep in mind, on my 5" plus comp, the (additional) weight of the comp is hanging off the end of the gun which is also dampening recoil. It is like a flange barrel on steroids just because of the weight and how it extends out beyond the muzzle per se (+ the comp action of course). With this in mind, do you still think the NH would be a lower recoil gun?

2) You know my pet peeve about getting a sub 3.5# trigger from WC without signing a wavier. Do you know if NH does sub-3.5#'s without documentation?

3) How is the NH 5" stroke longer than any other 5" gun?

4) Have you had an opportunity to shoot the NH?
My NHCs both spec at 3.5 since that's where I wanted them but feel literally like a 2lb trigger, as I have mentioned in my review of the T3 NHC does triggers without equal. They will go as low as 2lb actual (feels lighter than my Czechmates 1.2) and I think they will do even lower if requested for a pure target/show off gun.

The stroke is longer because they are using a compact slide on a full size frame section and using the comp as the lockup area and to fill in the gap that would otherwise be there if you used a compact side on a full-size lower. I'll send pictures of this system since it's very hard to describe in words but it effectively allows full travel with the lighter slide meaning very very easy to predict recoil with low impulse. If I ever abandon CZ it will be for one of their 2011s due to this feature.

I have shot one and it is the lowest recoil .45 weapon I have ever used. Only my .460 full-size mutiport with .45 loaded is softer but that's technically not a .45

To keep this on topic it would be totally game changing if Wilson offered the experior with that sort of top end and the EDC frames crazy reliability. Surefire way to dominate games with a gun like that and is what I'm really hoping for one day so ALL my guns are Wilson and I don't have to make exceptions due to performance when competing.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
I was looking at the Experior Sub-Compact. It's a good looking pistol.

Site says it's 4.8 inches high and holds 8 rounds of 9mm. How did they do that? My Compact is 4.9 inches high and holds 8 rounds. Does the magwell allow them to use Compact mags in what I assume is a Sentinel grip? Or is it a typo?

In any case, I can barely get all three fingers on a compact grip. If the Experior Sub-Compact will allow me to get three fingers on it as well then I might need to have one.
Sentinels always had 8 shot mags with 9mm or .38s and the compacts are not quite big enough to get an extra round to fit I believe whole the full size can just barely get 10 in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sentinels always had 8 shot mags with 9mm or .38s and the compacts are not quite big enough to get an extra round to fit I believe whole the full size can just barely get 10 in.
Interesting. I wish someone would make a pinky finger mag plate (like the Springfield XDS mag plates) for the Sentinel 8-round clips. Then I could control a Sentinel grip correctly. Oh well, compacts for me!

Also like how the Experior Commander Compact has front serrations and ball/carry cuts. Pretty sexy IMO.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts