1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I sold my cco bobtail for decent Monet to replace with a cco gun with duty coat finish and checkering.

As I look through the Dan Wesson stuff, I see the Valkyrie at $2000ish and the Vigil at $1298 msrp. So I say what is different?

rear night sights: no dot vs single dot
carry cuts
grip safety length and bump
trigger solid vs holes
Hammer shape
grips

Is that the $700, or is there something else like better barrel, fitting, etc? IME, Dan Wesson doesn’t really fit parts, they just make them fit together better with better gratings, accuracy in process, etc.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nathan,

I think the only other differences from what you list above are a flush cut barrel and a countersunk hole for the slide stop on the right side of the frame. So really, all differences are cosmetic. Back when Valkyries were discontinued they were selling for $1200 to $1300 from on-line dealers. (Original MSRP was $2200 if I remember correctly.) They must have gone back up since then. If you are just looking at the DW site for pricing you may want to look at Bud's Guns, Gunbroker or one of the other on-line dealers.

Does the Vigil come in a CCO configuration? If it does, I don't think you will be disappointed. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Vigil CCO is the other one of interest.

·
Registered
854 Posts
We have a "few" 1911s to compare our two Vigil CCO pistols to. We have no experience with the Valkyrie. Our Vigil CCOs, one 9mm and one .45ACP, are both very nice production guns for the money with many features found on the semi-customs out there in the market place for much less $s. The Vigils are nicely fitted, tastefully de-horned, have great triggers right out of the box, and are nicely checkered. They have all you need and nothing you don't in the way of features IOHO. Ours have been deadly accurate and 100% reliable from the get go. We are as comfortable, and equally comforted, carrying our Vigils as we are our Wilson UL Compact Commander and GI CCO. Buy the Vigil and use the extra money for ammo (if you can find it). Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nathan,

I think the only other differences from what you list above are a flush cut barrel and a countersunk hole for the slide stop on the right side of the frame. So really, all differences are cosmetic. Back when Valkyries were discontinued they were selling for $1200 to $1300 from on-line dealers. (Original MSRP was $2200 if I remember correctly.) They must have gone back up since then. If you are just looking at the DW site for pricing you may want to look at Bud's Guns, Gunbroker or one of the other on-line dealers.

Does the Vigil come in a CCO configuration? If it does, I don't think you will be disappointed. Good luck with your search.
Yeah, I picked up three Valkyries for $1300 each in 2018 (all 9mm). Only one of the three would run right at all -- I wound up selling all of them.

Not that it's necessarily pertinent to this post, but after significant problems with four out of five 9mm Dan Wessons, I wouldn't buy another 1911 from them in that caliber again (but 45 I would; no problems at all with four in that caliber).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Picked my Val/CCO 9mm in the 2018 discontinuation and the added/no-fluff features are worth it, all of $1,1xx.
Add from what’s already mentioned: Longer thumb safety and VZ thin grips (we all change grips, so thin bushings).
I picked up DW/OEM Metalform (Springfield front ramp) it came with, no problems whatsoever.
Subjective, you’ll like the no-frills Vigil too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
which fits you? cco's have to have a magwell to fit my hands. big fan of the valkyries. mine went through its first spring in a few hundred rounds for some reason. not a big deal, i keep some at hand. buy all you can afford, along with mags and ammo/reloading supplies. best, james

1 - 8 of 8 Posts