1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put an Expert Stainless 14/45 on layaway yesterday. Is there anything that I should be hesitant about before I go any further? I have a standard Expert, but wanted a double stack. I had a couple of small issues with my other one, but wanted to know if there is anything that I can expect to possibly see?

Thanks..

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
First, I'm sure you already know that Para's customer service is outstanding and they will take care of any problem you might have.

I won't say this is a widespread problem, but it does seem to be a problem that continues to recur with the double-stacks. The double-stack magazines aren't locking high enough in (seemingly) quite a few guns of different models (again, just double-stacks).

See this thread. Be sure to check out post 12 in that thread.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=430563&highlight=pre-ramp

Also see this post:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=4820779&postcount=30

And this one**********:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=4820048&postcount=26

I still have not conducted the additional tests with JHPs. Between illnesses, work and other activities, I just haven't.

There are numerous others on this forum that have had the same problem and have received the same modification to address the problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I picked the gun up today. Did a little looking and yes, it has the ledge that you spoke of GB! I won't get to shoot it until later in the week. I am hoping that it is good to go, but I am leery!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Some thoughts.

Don't get discouraged if your Para doesn't work out of the box.Internet chair rangers say our guns are junk, but those same nimrods don't see a problem with dumping $95 worth of Apex aftermarket Glock ejectors and extractors into their weapons.Hypocrisy, sadly ,is alive and well in the gun community.

So, should your weapon hiccup, the first step is the check the extractor tension.Perhaps Para USA has fixed the problem since my April 2013 model 14.45 was built, but my guns extractor had zero tension out of the box.It looks like whoever built the gun just dropped it in and called it good.

I adjusted that, and the weapon stopped failing to feed.

I don't hold that against Para USA , as other 1911 builders make the same error, and the problem was correctable on my workbench.Try saying that about a Glock afflicted with Brass to The Face troubles.

Good luck, and congrats! Look forward to seeing the range report.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
As I started out with my post, Para's CS is outstanding and will take care of any problems you might have.
I don't know who Forty5ACP is directing his comments at but I have hung in with Para longer than almost anyone and have yet to give up on Para even after two trips to the factory.

I even got a free gift from them for being so nice and patient and helpful.
I've helped them directly by conducting tests, taking extensive measurements, etc.
And I am not the only one with the problem. And Para recognizes it as they have generally been making the same mod they did to mine to "improve" function, though not totally fix it, to others' guns.

I would say I'm not an "Intrrnet ranger" but I do not know what that is. :)

I've always wanted a Para double-stack and I have mentioned in numerous posts that, statistically, you are far more likely to get a good one than a bad one.

I'm not some "fanboy" that thinks anything other than my favorite brand is garbage.

I can say I'm not a "nimrod". I am an engineer and scientist.

Surprisingly, I do have a Glock 20 Gen 4 10mm, fully stock. :)
But the bulk of my large collection of firearms (handguns and evil black rifles) are Sig Sauer. And I have a small selection of Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Anyway, I hope that Mr. Forty5ACP isn't diecting his insults at me.

I stated Para Customer Service is outstanding and will take care of any problems you might have.

Just answering a question on what might happen and offering background to help IF it does.

If you search for and read all my posts (not just threads), I've always offered straightforward information and answers. I've never flamed Para and I've tried to encourage. I just offer information. Period. Based on scientific and engineering observations.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well, I picked the gun up today. Did a little looking and yes, it has the ledge that you spoke of GB! I won't get to shoot it until later in the week. I am hoping that it is good to go, but I am leery!
IF, and I repeat IF, you should have problems, the first thing you should do is take pictures of the condition, if possible, write a brief letter describing in detail what you were doing and what happened.
THEN CALL PARA CUSTOMER SERVICE.
You tinker on it yourself (even "adjustments") you can lose your lifetime warranty.
Para will take care of it. :)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Shoot quality FMJ for breakin. Recommed:

Remington UMC
Winchester white-box
PMC Bronze (not Blazer Brass)

You may have good luck with others.
Looking forward to range report.
Congrats! :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
As I started out with my post, Para's CS is outstanding and will take care of any problems you might have.
I don't know who Forty5ACP is directing his comments at but I have hung in with Para longer than almost anyone and have yet to give up on Para even after two trips to the factory.

I even got a free gift from them for being so nice and patient and helpful.
I've helped them directly by conducting tests, taking extensive measurements, etc.
And I am not the only one with the problem. And Para recognizes it as they have generally been making the same mod they did to mine to "improve" function, though not totally fix it, to others' guns.

I would say I'm not an "Intrrnet ranger" but I do not know what that is. :)

I've always wanted a Para double-stack and I have mentioned in numerous posts that, statistically, you are far more likely to get a good one than a bad one.

I'm not some "fanboy" that thinks anything other than my favorite brand is garbage.

I can say I'm not a "nimrod". I am an engineer and scientist.

Surprisingly, I do have a Glock 20 Gen 4 10mm, fully stock. :)
But the bulk of my large collection of firearms (handguns and evil black rifles) are Sig Sauer. And I have a small selection of Smith & Wesson revolvers.

Anyway, I hope that Mr. Forty5ACP isn't diecting his insults at me.

I stated Para Customer Service is outstanding and will take care of any problems you might have.

Just answering a question on what might happen and offering background to help IF it does.

If you search for and read all my posts (not just threads), I've always offered straightforward information and answers. I've never flamed Para and I've tried to encourage. I just offer information. Period. Based on scientific and engineering observations.
What??

I never directed any of that to you.I was referencing other forums, ones less enlightened then this one. I've got zero beef with Para USA.If I did, their splendid Black Ops handgun wouldnt be next to me loaded as I type this.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
What??

I never directed any of that to you.I was referencing other forums, ones less enlightened then this one. I've got zero beef with Para USA.If I did, their splendid Black Ops handgun wouldnt be next to me loaded as I type this.
OH, OK. I am dog tired from a long drive and still not well from a long illness. I just misread your post.
Sorry about that and thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding. I feel like a dope. :dope:
You are a nice guy Forty5ACP!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
OH, OK. I am dog tired from a long drive and still not well from a long illness. I just misread your post.
Sorry about that and thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding. I feel like a dope. :dope:
You are a nice guy Forty5ACP!!
Your post kinda snafued me a bit .....I was like "I...hate ....Para? Weird, cause it's my nightstand gun!":biglaugh:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the info. I had put the firearm on layaway after seeing it and falling in love! When I got home, got too looking around for reviews and ran across quite a few people that were talking about issues that they had with these guns, 14.45 in general. That is why I came here to see what, if any of this was true.

I know about Para CS! It is great! I have a single stack Expert and had a few FTF problems with it, but it was with OEM mags. I sent it back to Travis, with 3 different mags, and he promised to make it work with them all and he did! No charge! No questions asked! That is why I pulled the trigger on this one.

It may be a few days before I can actually shoot it to see if it will hang up, but I will get it out there and pop some off.

As far as ammo, yeah, I have several K rounds of ball.. LOL!! Waiting for the zombies and when the SHTF scenarios..

Once again, thanks for the input..

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Travis and Team Para stood by their word to help me with my 14-45 Black Ops. I have a few of their upgrades...EGW extractor, barrel bushing and hammer. My BO is now very tight, smooth and reliable. Now it runs flawlessly with the ammo I feed it. I CC it a lot of the time now as it's proven it's reliability to me for holster time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well................. I finally got to put some lead/bullets down the barrel today! All I can say is, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 150+ rounds and not one FTF, FTE or anything. This thing is a beast! My buddy shot 1 magazine and said, " I wish I had a gun that shot that sweet "! This thing was great, honestly... I know that I was concerned about possible problems, but I was assured by Travis that it would be good to go and it was.

Thanks Para!!!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Congrats on your beast. No issues at all is the best we can hope for. Now I want a second range report when you get it out again...haha.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well................. I finally got to put some lead/bullets down the barrel today! All I can say is, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 150+ rounds and not one FTF, FTE or anything. This thing is a beast! My buddy shot 1 magazine and said, " I wish I had a gun that shot that sweet "! This thing was great, honestly... I know that I was concerned about possible problems, but I was assured by Travis that it would be good to go and it was.

Thanks Para!!!
Awesome!!! They are really fun guns to shoot. And dang accurate! And there is something particularly awesome about having a 1911 with 14+1 rounds of .45ACP knock-down power! ;)
Contratulations! I'm glad it is working well for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts