1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I couldn't answer this with the search function, and obviously the CZ ownership nuked any chance of a good website for the older models, but can someone run down the model acronyms for me? I'm having trouble keepingmy Patriots and Pointmen and Panthers straight!

C-BOBs, PTE-B, and RZ, oh my!

Thanks in advance for any help... it would make it a lot easier for those of us who might want to pick up a pre-CZ DW on the used market!

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Common acronyms:

Prefixes:
PT = Patriot
RZ = Razorback
PM = Pointman
K03 = Panther

Intermediate:
E = Expert = Adjustable sight
M = Marksman = Fixed sight
DP = Dave Pruitt
G = Guardian
GD = Guardian Duce (2-Tone)
EXP = Experimental
HC = High Capacity
1 = Major
2 = Minor 2
3 = Minor
7 = Model Seven
9 = 9mm
A = Aussie
C = Commander
CBOB = Commander Bobtail
CCO = Commander COncealed
XS = Model XS (similar to Panther; often refered to as 'XSS' as it was a stainless gun)

Suffix:
S = Stainless
B = Blue
C = Checkered Frontstrap
FS = Fixed Sights
AS = Adjustable Sights
10 = 10mm
45 = 45acp

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Dave:

Good job with that list especially considering your advanced age!:p

Why don't you make that a "Sticky" here on the DW forum?

Take care,
Art

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Dave:

What's a "2"? as in PM2. (Then theres the EXP's?) I believe there are some chambered in 40 S&W & 38 Super also.

Tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dave, mine is a PM3-P. I didn't see the 'P' suffix on your list. It is definitely a Pointman Minor, though. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dave, I thought the FS suffix referred to the fixed sights models...
Here are some quotes I pulled from an old copy I made of the 2002 model year lineup:

"Pointman Guardian Duce with fixed sights (PMGD-FS) match grade IDPA/carry Model"
"Pointman Guardian Duce with adjustable sights (PMGD-AS) match grade IDPA/carry Model"

Here's the quote for the PM2-P:

"Pointman Minor (PM2-P) entry level IDPA/carry model
An full sized 5" black oxide blued carbon alloy steel frame and conventional roundtop slide, with a non-glare bead blast matte finish on the frame and the top of the slide and satin-brushed polished finish on the sides of the slide. Standard equipment includes dovetail fixed target rear sight, dovetail ramp target front sight, chromed barrel, Nowlin (or equivalent) adjustable match trigger, skeletonized target hammer, highride beavertail safety, fitted extractor, serrations on thumb safety, slide release, mag release and mainspring housing, beveled mag well, 8-round mag, exotic hardwood grips and laser engraving."

Can't explain the -P designation...

Dave, don't forget the....

"Pointman Hi-Cap (PMHC) entry level IDPA/carry model"

Oh yeah, the YG "Young Guns" markings as well...

long time lurker, short time poster! (maybe I should have split this up into 4-5 posts to get my count up:p

-Lymongood

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Thanks, LG! Will update my post. To be honest, I never was very involved with the early DW 1911's. Have never heard of a "Young Guns" model, though I believe I've seen this Serial prefix on some of the earlier Patriots. Others???

·
Registered
728 Posts
There are also Custom Shop models floating around, mostly ordered by members here pre-CZ days, they are usually designated by the owners intials and a 0001 such as if my name was really Phantom Rider it would read PR0001 and if ordered a second Custom shop model it would be PR0002 and so on. Most don't fit in a certain catagory as they could be ordered with special features, custom lazering, parts and finishes. My custom model is dubbed the Phantom 38 and has the name lazer etched under the Custom Shop logo, it's a 2 tone gun, adjustable sites, Ed Brown Memory Bump safety, STI trigger parts and is in 38 Super caliber.
Plus even in production guns DW did parts swithced so you almost get like sub catagories for certain pistols even though they still are like RZ00035 or whatever, I have an RZ that came form the factory with a Kings Extended slide stop and have only seen on other member here with one like that, also soem RZ have FCS and some do not, some have adjustable sites and some do not, a complete list of DW would go on and on as I'm not sure anyone knows all the little differances in the runs.

·
Registered
662 Posts
EXP means it was an experimental model. They were pretty much odd-balls that DW would sell mostly on gunbroker, back when they did that.

Lymon, that 10mm isn't a patriot.
Chevy

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
My Patriot has the YG prefix on the s/n and looking though my catalogs all the Patriots I see have the YG s/n prefix. Course on the other side it has the PTE-S.

I have never heard of this "Young Guns" either. Not to say it's not so, I have just never saw this before. Interesting.

Take care,
Art

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Here we go

Dave, when you do your sticky you can use these. I scanned these from a catalog and would hope that a couple of you would copy them to your pc so they don't get lost if my PC crashes or photobucket closes or I croak. I have some more to post but these took over an hour to scan, upload to the host and upload here. Will do them later. Enjoy and I hope this helps.

Art

·
Registered
94 Posts
Noklue....THANKS!

Great idea and it answered a couple questions I had.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I found the Young Guns reference, too bad my memory doesn't work for things other than useless gun trivia:p :

"Old 11-20-2003, 07:52 AM

The YG4 stands for the engineering code name for this series of pistol development.

It stands for, "Young Guns 4".

Thanks,
Bob
DWF

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=63738&highlight=young+guns

Art: I've got some old advertisments as well, i'll try to scan them someday...

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
LG: I believe that is an in-house code, and not a model name. Anyone out there have a pistol with "YG4" on the port (that's left, for you ground-pounders) side of the slide? Looking through my logs, I've sold and/or worked on several 'YG'-serial numbered pistols, namely full-size Patriot models. In fact, I sold and subsequently customized the exact PTES in the brochure shown above. It's located in Carson City, NV. Note that it has a 'YG' prefix in it's S.N..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts