1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried this? Do you think this would improve reliabilty as far as failure to eject?

TIA

EAL

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
Other than problems attributed to worn extractors, I have never had a failure to eject, that I can remember. I have standard G.I. ejectors in a few of my guns, and extended style in others, and don't see any difference, except when I try to eject a loaded round, in which case the extended ejector can make it difficult to accomplish.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think that this would lower reliability drastically because the GI has a standard ejection port - the long ejector is meant to push the shell casings more to the right instead of over the the shooter's head and to the right, as with the standard GI ejector.

If the ejection port were lowered and flared, the long ejector would be fine.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
If it isn't broken don't fix it, that being said if it is having FTE's tune your extractor.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been tuning my extractor and think I'm getting real close to being reliable. I was thinking the extended ejector might be added insurance. Damned extractors.... a real pain! Does anybody sell an already tuned extractor?

TIA

EAL

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
In my experience, extractors are much more forgiving than the typical 1911 enthusiast is willing to give them credit for. I was chasing what I thought was an extractor problem for over a year. I filed, tweaked, tensioned, polished, de-tensioned, then tweaked some more. When it didn't really look like an extractor any more, I'd start the process over again on another one. I went throught this with three extractors and over two thousand rounds, and after I discovered what the problem actually was, I can look back and say I never had an extraction or ejection failure that was due to the extractor. I am more certain than ever that the internal 1911 extractor is an excellent design, and properly executed, it should cause, on its own, no trouble whatsoever. What sort of problems are you having?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Four or five times out of 150 I'll get a FTE.. that is the ejecting round seems to be caught on the extractor, blocking the next round from chambering. I have to drop the mag and rack the slide a couple of times to get it out. So I been tensioning, de-tensioning, filing etc. You know the drill ;-)

EAL

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
Fortunately, I have not encountered this problem. That being said....my GI firing pin stop is not a very snug fit at all which appears to be allowing the extractor to clock. I`m getting an occasional casing going high and coming back down on me. Check the FPS. I`ve been led to understand If it is at all loose, it can lead to extraction/ejection issues that can be easily remedied with a fitted oversize FPS.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never thought of that, and will check it out. That may explain why I'll get one right on the bridge of the nose, then a bunch off to the right.... then FTE.

Thanks all!!

EAL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts