1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of selecting the final touches on a custom build and would like to know what everone thinks of extended mag wells. I kinda go back and forth with if I like the look or not. I know the fuction of these and I really don't need these for combat or carry purposes, it's realy just for the look. Does the pistol look more finished with an extended mag well or not?

Thanks in advance for all the comments
You guy's are the best!!!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I'm in the process of selecting the final touches on a custom build and would like to know what everone thinks of extended mag wells. I kinda go back and forth with if I like the look or not. I know the fuction of these and I really don't need these for combat or carry purposes, it's realy just for the look. Does the pistol look more finished with an extended mag well or not? Thanks in advance for all the comments You guy's are the best!!!
If it is done correctly they can look good and function nicely as well making it a touch easier to do a mag change out by feel while keeping your eyes on the intended target.

My current guns do not have them but a couple of the older ones did and they were very nice looking and functioning pieces.

Good luck to you on your choice here. :rock:

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
When I took mt APII I didn't use a magwell and the class the instructor was very opinionated about magwells. To quote him "if you don't have a magwell you are losing." As much as I hate to admit it he was correct. They do increase your mag change speed. They don't add enough length to hinder concealment. I now have a S&A magwell on both of my single stack 45s.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I prefer the look of the Heinie Magwell.. It doesnt extend the length of the grip but provides a pretty big opening...

you can even make the magwell opening larger with the addition of the Stan Chen Legacy MSH.

condition one implementation...

versus

S&A type... also by condiditon one

·
Registered
247 Posts
For carry I dont like a extended mag well, for competition I do, now if you are doing a full custom then go with the welded on like the Stan Chen they look great.

JB

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I have one on my carry gun, and I like it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've had 3 1911 carry guns and won't have one without a magwell. I want every advantage I can get in a serious social situation. Magwells make mag changes almost foolproof, almost! I find that people either like them or don't. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with them. Try one, if you don't like it take it off and sell it. I like the S&A mags wells.

·
Registered
22,020 Posts
I think the round butt seen in some recent brag pictures here is the best looking treatment for a non-match pistol.

If you want a funnel and are going for style, use either Heinie or Chen.
The S&A, Brown, and Wilson are functional but are hard to make look really nice no matter how well blended.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Adding a mag-well and swapping grips was one of the first mod's I did on my gun - mostly for looks, but also for easy of changing mag's. Don't shoot competatively or carry, so neither of those is an issue to me, but I do like it. Just in casual range shooting, it is easier to swap mag's....

I say go for it.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Smith & Alexander

I like the Smith & Alexander magwells with integral mainspring housing. I have them on two full size Colts, and think they make mag changes smoother and also look good. They look best when you get grip panels cut to fit flush with the magwell, as shown below:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer the look of the Heinie Magwell.. It doesnt extend the length of the grip but provides a pretty big opening...

you can even make the magwell opening larger with the addition of the Stan Chen Legacy MSH.

condition one implementation...

versus

S&A type... also by condiditon one
Thanks for all the comments and sugestions, I went to a thread that had the Stan Chen Legacy Magwell on it and all I can say is I GOT TO HAVE ONE OF THESE!!!

Thanks again for all the help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts