1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a used and mildly abused FEG PJK-9HP with extraction issues. The price was right, so no complaints there. The trigger pull weight is in the double digits but it fires every time. Using various brands of factory ammo, the gun will regularly leave cases in the chamber, particularly when the gun heats up a bit and gets a little dirty. Ejection on extracted cases is strong and positive and there are no other issues.

I pulled the extractor and it does not readily appear to be chipped or damaged. The extractor spring looked to be in bad shape so that could be the problem. However, I don't really know how the hook profile should look or how deeply it should engage the case rim. Could someone post a few pics of a properly contoured extractor and proper case rim engagement?

I picked up some new springs and extractor from Browning and should have them in a week. Which way does the extractor spring fit? It appears to have two different ends.

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Hello sir:

I am thinking you have kind of figured this out by the comment of not seeing damage to the extractor and the spring looking bad. However, there is no mention of not feeding and the extractor plays a big role in that. A failure to feed on the last round only may help point to the extractor or spring.

We just had a fellow on another forum with a used hi power experience a similar failure as explained by you and the extractor and spring changed nothing. Turns out he was also running a weak recoil spring with a nasty spot inside the chamber that was acting upon the fired case. An inspection of his fired cases with a nasty looking rip on the case behind the extractor groove and a nasty mark midway down the case revealed this. He could not see the abnormality in the chamber with his eye so he discounted the suggestion for an extended period of time.

I do not know how to get good pics of the proper engagement as in my thought on that would be a cross section of the slide and barrel would be required. You can do a preemptive kind of test with the Bhp just like the 1911 called the shake test which the other fellows happen to pass.

I want to say the small end of the extractor spring goes in first but it has been a day or two.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankfully, feeding is not an issue at all. If the chamber is empty, a round will feed. I use Factory 13-round magazines, KRD 17 rounders, and 13 round Mec-Gar mags. They all seem to feed fine.

I ordered a new Browning 17lb recoil spring just to be on the safe side (and a FP spring as well). I read on another forum that FEG had a reputation for poor/cheap springs so I defided to replace it as well. I also read that some "aftermarket" springs were not up to the task with the P35 so I decided to stick with factory pieces for now as a control.

I will take a good look at a fired case to chesk for a bad spot in the chamber. The barrel looks to be in the white so if it needed a little reaming, hopefully it would not be too big of an issue.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts