1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which models of the kimber 1911s are shiping with the external extractors? I have seen the TLE RL II and the Tacticals, but what about the others?

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I was just at SGC today and all the new Kimbers have the externals.

·
Administrator
75,185 Posts
Now I'm really glad I just picked up a Series I. :(

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Any Kimber with internal extractors have been sitting somewhere for a little while. I'm sure there are a ton of them on shelves.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking about a new Eclipse, but I want the external extractor. Has anyone seen one of those on the market yet?

·
Registered
246 Posts
My TLE has an internal one, my TLE/RL has the external. Last word I heard/read from Kimber was that they were going to be phasing the external ones in across the board.

I amnot sure why I hear all the gnashing of teeth over the external ones. My TLE/RL has been perfect with it. If its just because of history's sake, then I can understand that. From a functional standpoint though, external extractors have been used on many handguns for quite a few years. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
194 Posts
No, you are not missing a thing. There is nothing wrong with the external extractors. Many are traditionalist. They prefer the internal extractors on their 1911's. I happen to be one of those people, but I realize that the function will be no better with either (at least that can be proven).

While field repair is better served with an internal, a properly engineered external will be every bit as reliable as the same quality engineered and manufactured internal. There will just be less tuning envolved with the external.

Dobe

·
Registered
34 Posts
External vs internal

Is anyone aware whether an external extractor is affected more by repetitive holster presentations than the internal extractor. I am considering adding a new TLE to the inventory but I do a lot of draw and reholster in training and teaching. I am concerned that a proper tight fitting holster might change the extractor functions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My experience with externals have shown me that many, if not most externals are recessed. The flush fit of a recessed extractor reduces the drag and wear.

Dobe

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: External vs internal

charico said:
Is anyone aware whether an external extractor is affected more by repetitive holster presentations than the internal extractor. I am considering adding a new TLE to the inventory but I do a lot of draw and reholster in training and teaching. I am concerned that a proper tight fitting holster might change the extractor functions.
The external unit serves two fold purpose for kimber. It not only extracts, but kimber also machined a small oval into the top of them and put a red finish in the oval so that when the rd. is in the chamber and the extractor has it's hook on the rd, and hence is sticking out slightly, you can see the red and you now have a second loaded chamber indicator.

With that said, the beveled chamber port allows for the extractor to be pretty much inline with the slide when the rd is chambered. If it does protrude more than the slide's demensions, and I can't recall if it does, but I don't think it does, it is such a small difference that it doesn't cause an issue.

Keep in mind that Glocks use a very similar design for their external extractor design.

Wes

·
Registered
34 Posts
extractor

Thanks for the help and advice. I bought the custom TLE today and this one has an internal extractor so my concern was for naught.
That type extractor has worked for the last 80 years so I am comfortable with it. I will do a press check to see if a round is chambered anyway so I do not need the red pop-up. I think CA requires them after the 1st of the year so I got in under the wire.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am a traditionalist.

My prediction is that there are enough people like me who will not buy an external extractor pistol that Kimber's sales will fall by at least 25% when all of them have the external extractor.

Time will tell if Kimber's move is smart or dumb. I predict dumb as was the Swartz safety.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I read or heard a rumor about a month ago that Kimber was thinking of keeping the internal extractor on the "custom shop" models, ie Gold Combat, Super Match.

Does anyone have any reliable information on this?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ernest,
Think cost and liability, even if the liability is percieved.

External Extractor:
It is cheaper for Kimber or any manufacturer to produce the external than the internal. It is a lot cheaper for warranty work - no more tuning extractors, and less customer dissatisfaction. Look at this forum alone. How many complaints would be non-existant, if the owner of a Kimber simply new how to tune an internal extractor? This is a major pain for a company PR.

Swartz:
I want you to take a little walk down handgun-memory Lane with me for just a second. Do you remember the:

Ruger Flat Top Single Actions,
CZ 75
Browning HP
and of course the Colt Series 70?

With the exception of the Series 70 (in limited production), the above hanguns were all modified to accept firing pin blocks or transfer bars. It is the way things are in a litigious society.

Relax, there will always be some manufacture, who will cater to us traditionalist.

Dobe

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whofan said:
I read or heard a rumor about a month ago that Kimber was thinking of keeping the internal extractor on the "custom shop" models, ie Gold Combat, Super Match.

Does anyone have any reliable information on this?
I hope that this is not true. I am thinking about getting a gold combat stainless, but I want the external extractor. Has anyone seen any kimbers other than the TLE RL II or the Tactical with the new external extractor? Just wondering if they are available yet.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The last time that I talked to my local dealer he was still getting in internal extractor Kimbers from his distributers. That was about two weeks ago.

I prefer the internal from an asthetic view point, not necessarily from a functional one. I doubt that an external extractor would absolutely deter me from getting the Gold Combat Stainless that I am shopping for.

What I really detest is the cut in the chamber. It is designed to view a round in the chamber to see if it is loaded. I once had a weak piece of brass blow out into the mag well . It destroyed the magazine and slapped my hands pretty hard. The brass gave out on the area that is unsupported under the feedramp.

I am not at all comfortable with another unsupported area in the chamber

That slit on the chamber really makes me nervous. If (when) another round gives way will I get more of a face full than before?

Or am I just worrying about something for no reason?

Any opinions?:(

·
Registered
246 Posts
The only part of the casing that is exposed in the port is the rim. All of the area which receives any pressure is covered, as the cut does not extend far enough up to expose a vulnerable part of the casing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have put 600 rnd through a HK USP 45c, 500 rnd through a Glock 29, 3000 rounds through a Mac-11, 1000 rounds through a Mac-10, 500 through a 92FS, ect ect NONE EVER HAD A FAILURE TO EXTRACT.

You rarely hear of civillian or law enforcement HKs, SIGs, Glocks, and 92 SF (quality guns w/ external extractors) having failures to extract or other extarctor problems frequently......unlike internal 1911 extractors.

Internal extractors whether in the slide of a 1911 or in the bolt of a Tec-9 always seem to have problems.

I perfer the external extractors.....the writing is on the wall.

BTW......what is the point of staying true to "the orginal" design when most of the 1911s out there, especially carry models (ie compact Kimbers) have numerours other deviations from "the orginal"orginal (ie bushingless tapered 4" barrels) ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts