1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the owner of a new S&W M1911, with an external extractor. The operators manual wasn't with the pistol, so I need answers to a couple of questions.
1. With the ext. extractor, will it be damaging to close the slide into battery with a round in the chamber, forcing the extractor over the rim, rather than sliding the rim into the extractor hook from the magazine?
2. Anyone know if this pistol is supposed to be closed into battery by pulling back the slide from slide lock and releasing? Mine requires depression of the slide release every time.
Kin ya'all he'p me?
Thanx!

·
Registered
301 Posts
1. Why would you do this anyway? I suppose it would be less bad, but eventually you're going to wear the hook down

2. Slingshotting the slide closed only works if you don't have a magazine in the gun, or you have a magazine with at least one round left. The magazine follower is designed to catch the slide stop and move it upwards once the magazine is empty. Me, personally? I always slingshot the slide. Just force of habit, I guess.

·
Registered
319 Posts
... and rumor has it that releasing the slide from lock and letting it run free on an empty chamber is bad juju on the 1911...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reasons

The 'reason' for the extractor question is because of a drill we work on. The supposion is that somehow you've wound up with a pistol, ammo, but no functional magazine. Loading a single round and closing the action, readying the pistol to fire is the reason to be dropping the slide on a chambered round. And thus the reason for my question. This pistol's ability to function without a magazine was a major selling point in my opinion, and important on a self-defense weapon.

I, to, always manually drop the slide into battery with a pull-back. AND.. I would never drop a slide under recoil spring pressure on an empty chamber. Its called "battery" not "battering".

Thanks anyway, guys.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The external extractor should allow dropping the slide on a chambered round without fear of breaking the extractor. As to "wearing it down", I have no idea how many contacts it would take for brass to wear down hard steel, but I sure wouldn't be around when it did. I don't understand the concern about external extractors; every other pistol in the world uses that system with no problem. Even the BHP, which started with an internal extractor, went to an external one with no problems.

Browning had used external extractors on other pistols; the internal extractor was used because of Army concern with rounds that might be too short to headspace properly and not be engaged by the extractor. Not a concern today with much better ammo.

As for the obsessive concern over extractor breakage, that comes mainly from the cheap jack extractors put in so many 1911 clones. The GI extractors, properly made of the best spring steel, rarely failed from any reason. Extractors made in Lower Slobovia from old tinfoil chewing gum wrappers do fail, but it is not the design that is bad.

Jim

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't think the issue is so much the brass abrading the extractor. Rather, the risk - I would think - would be from slamming the extractor hook past the case head. My concern would be that doing this could result in chipping the hook which could cause extraction problems.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If the extractor chips from going past the case rim, it is a very poorly made piece of work. I would return the gun to the maker and tell them to do the job right.

Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
extractor question

Thanx, fella's, for the help. I asked the question, because every instructor I've ever had the pleasure of shooting under told me to never drop the slide on a chambered round, it 'might' chip the ext. hook, and on a combat gun that could be a fatal error. So I've not thought it a good idea, whether 'traditional' 1911 or external, which I prefer(simplicity, visual).
My second question was solved by S&W, when they sent me a new slide stop.
So now I'm good to go. My drills WILL include the 'failed magazine, load 'em one at a time!' drill without undue concern!
JH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts