1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up a NIB Para Black Watch Companion on Sunday. I put 100 rounds of WWB through it yesterday and had 4 FTEs. Thinking it might be ammo related, I tried 50 rounds of Independence ammo today and had 5 FTE as well as 1 FTE with 2 rounds of Speer Gold Dots.

I tried to oil the slide a bit this morning at the range when I hit the first 2 FTE in the block of 50, but it didn't seem to help as I had 4 more before I stopped.

Any ideas, what could be causing a brand new Para BW Companion to have extraction issues? I love the gun, and really thought I would be free of extractor issues after hearing so much about Para's Power Extractor.

A local gunsmith said it was a common problem for Kimbers and Para's with those "new fangled extractors", but he has a "reliability service" where they run a bunch of reliability tests on the weapon and fix what ever could be a problem. Service is only $60, but I hate to think a brand new out of the box weapon needs to have work done on it. Plus he said it would be a 2 or 3 week turnaround because of a backlog of work.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
AZRaptor said:
really thought I would be free of extractor issues after hearing so much about Para's Power Extractor.
Advertising at it's finest. Another solution to a non-existent problem.

I'd call Para and have them ship it back at their expense. If you let someone else work on it, you'll probably void the warranty.

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
The PXT extractor is highly reliable (unlike the Kimber external). But if the pistol was cleaned before firing, to include the chamber it could be the extractor. Possible but not common.

Give the pistol a good cleaning and and lubrication and try a second time before seeking the factory's help.

Check the extractor itself, some of the very, very early production had a bad claw. Took nothing more than a replacement extractor sent first class mail to fix mine.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I stripped it down this morning, cleaned it up and oiled it well, then headed to the range.

Here is today's range report. I put 164 rounds through it at the range just now, here are the results in the order they were shot. All 164 rounds were fired with no cleaning between them. I mostlly concentrated on using a firm grip and was less concerned about aim.

50 rounds Remington 230gr FMJ - 2 FTE
14 rounds Winchester WB 230gr FMJ - 6 FTE
50 rounds Independence 230gr FMJ - No FTE
36 rounds Winchester WB 230gr FMJ - 16 FTE
14 rounds Speer Gold Dot 185gr JHP - No FTE

I'm thinking it may be a stiff recoil spring. Gonna try and see if I can find velocity stats on these rounds and see if the others are significantly more powerful than the WWB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ParaOrd e-mailed me back today to send it in to them in Tenn for inspection and they would fix any issues. No idea what the turn around time is like though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.