1911Forum banner

extraction problems

891 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  shane45-1911
Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911....has been having a ton of extraction problems lately....what could the problem be?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Banned
13,763 Posts
More details please. Define "ton of extraction problems."

Extractor out of tune.
Ammo out of spec.
Chamber dimension issues.
Dirty chamber.
Broken extractor.
Worn out recoil spring.
Too strong recoil spring.
Firing pin stop not fit correctly (extractor "clocking").
Shock buff installed?

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if I pop a loaded mag in and pull back on the charging handle twice the round will get lodged in between the barrel and firing pin area....I thought it might be out of spec.......Is it supposed to be seated tightly in the half circle area? Mine has a space in between the extractor pin cutout and the actual pin :confused:

· Premium Member
5,963 Posts
cobranx said:
if I pop a loaded mag in and pull back on the charging handle twice the round will get lodged in between the barrel and firing pin area...
How many rounds (approx.) on the gun before this began happening? Have you cleaned and lubed the gun recently?

· Registered
296 Posts
Extractor problems?

cobranx said:
if I pop a loaded mag in and pull back on the charging handle twice the round will get lodged in between the barrel and firing pin area....I thought it might be out of spec.......Is it supposed to be seated tightly in the half circle area? Mine has a space in between the extractor pin cutout and the actual pin :confused:
Try the '1911 'How-To's' and FAQ' section of this forum and you will see "How to check and adjust your extractor".

· Banned
13,763 Posts
The point Bob is making - and I agree - is that we don't know WHAT the problem is, or what type of handgun he has. The 1911 certainly has no "charging handle", and none of my 1911's has an "extractor pin" either.

We need clearer descriptions of the problem - and correct parts terminology may help. ;)

http://www.m1911.org/full_partname.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.