1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine owns a STI USPSA double stack in 9mm.The extractor broke and the new one sits very loose in the slide (claw side,in the rear it's normally fixed).I don't know how the first one was as I didn't help him out.I noticed it as I helped him dissasemble the pistol.I tried to adjust it by bending it a tad (as I do with mine)but it stays loose.He shot 250 rounds since it was installed
Now he has broken the ejector,it was bent to the left.Would this have to do with the extractor and trying to tension it?There is a recess in the slide where the case slides into,in order to keep it in the middle of the slide.So I don't see how the case can go too much left and bend the ejector.
I have a .45 and the extractor sits tight in the slide.But as his is a 9 it sits further to the left.I have a bulge near the claw to space it,his is straight and marked 38.Mine sits on the bulge and is bent slightly.Should his be bend more to the left then?The guy who installed it said it doesn't bother it's loose,but I think differently.

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
There's a good chance he broke the tip of the ejector by slamming in a magazine with the slide locked back.

I have never seen an extractor yet that will be loose in its tunnel when it's properly tensioned, but I suppose anything is possible.

The extractor should have enough tension to hold a loaded cartridge against the breechface with no support underneath. It's easiest to test by taking the slide off the frame and inserting a cartridge under the extractor. The cartridge should stay in place no matter which way the slide is turned.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well Ken that's my thought too on the extractor.It should be bent more inward (to the left) so it sits tight in the tunnel then?This is the case with mine.

For the ejector,I don't think slamming in a mag would bend it like that.Maybe a case worked loose from the extractor in some way and jammed on the ejector on the opening cycle of the slide.Very strange issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tim,the firing pin stop seems ok to me.There is some play on it but not more then on mine.Problem is it has wobble at the front near the claw.you can move it sideways but only turn it slightly in the tunnel.I will probably have to bend the extractor a bit more so it presses in the tunnel.

Anybody have an idea why the ejector broke or is this pure coincidence?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there someone out there who might help regarding the ejector?

The extractor definitly needs some more bending.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Bent ejector

If a case slipped off the ejector, and the operator is using shock buffs, the slide may be just barely going back far enough for the case to hit the ejector. If the case doesn't hit the ejector and has slipped off the extractor, the slide could close on the case which didn't eject, and bend the ejector.

Some gunsmiths try to use a .38 super ejector when building a 9mm, which isn't the best option IMHO. Since the STI 9mm mag uses a spacer in the back of their mags, this allows the cartridge to ride closer to the front of the mag. The ejector needs to be longer than a .38 super length ejector, which is why an original Colt length 9mm ejector is best for optimal cycling. The ejector on my STI 2011 9mm is nearly 1/4" longer than the ejector length on my .38 super 2011 framed racegun.

As far as loosenes of the extractor within the slide, the rear of the extractor with the firing pin stop cut-out may be slightly undersized, which will allow movement of the extractor within the extractor tunnel. If the firing pin stop plate does not fit snugly within the extractor, this may cause extractor "clocking" (rotating within the tunnel) which needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Putting some tension (a slight bend) half-way down on the extractor should, by way of the tension, make it lay more snug in the extractor channel. The firing pin stop should also be fairly snug in its channel as well. I would order a new STI extractor---alway best in some instances to stick with a factory part if the gun historically performed well with it or if the part is of sufficient quality.

I would order a STI ejector that is a direct replacement of the now broken one that's in your gun and do the install myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Richpetrone and Leade45,thanks for sharing your wisdom,I'm much obliged.

As I thought,the extractor needs some bending as this probably caused some kind of jam.This probably in it's turn caused the ejector to bend.I suppose it happened on blowback so the slide has some force to bend it

There is no shockbuffer installed,but his pistol has a recoilmaster.But slide movement is very slow,due to that recoilmaster and the heavy slide.Even with factory ammo.He doesn't shoot reloaded ammo.

The new oem extractor is marked .38,but If you look at the STI site there is no specific one for 9mm.It doesn't "clock" but has some overall movement in the channel.
I have a .45 and my extractor went ping too within 1K shots.I replaced it by an Ed Brown,and have since shot many many shots.

The ejector will be replaced by an oem part.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
STI 9mm ejector

Attached is a 9mm ejector, and the one I use in my STI 2011 9mm. I built my own STI 9mm and the gun is exceptionally reliable. Please note in the attched picture the length of the first ejector at the top vs. another extended ejector listed below. Even the shorter extended ejector says it can be used for a 9mm. These pictures are from the Wilson Combat web site. I recommend the long 9mm ejector.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
There's a good chance he broke the tip of the ejector by slamming in a magazine with the slide locked back.

I have never seen an extractor yet that will be loose in its tunnel when it's properly tensioned, but I suppose anything is possible.

The extractor should have enough tension to hold a loaded cartridge against the breechface with no support underneath. It's easiest to test by taking the slide off the frame and inserting a cartridge under the extractor. The cartridge should stay in place no matter which way the slide is turned.[/QUOTE

One way to check for this is to take the slide off and insert a magazine into the frame while looking to see if the magazine is contacting the ejector. Also check the magazines for marks where it could be hitting the ejector.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again guys.

The original ejector that was installed looks a lot like the first blued one.Makes sense not to use a 38 item as this case is longer.

when the new ejector arrives I will check if the mag touches,but I doubt it.If so the broken one should be bent up instead af to the left.But I will take a look to be sure.

Cheers Pieter

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Bent ejector

Weird things can happen when a gun doesn't cycle correctly.

I once shot a USPSA Area match in Orlando. We had a stage where you had to open a closed door, then shoot the targets in a room clearing. When I shot the stage, I forcefully opened the door and started shooting. The door sprang back and hit my slide as I was shooting. This caused a weird double feed type jam, so I cleared the mag, pulled back the slide for a new round, and tried to reengage. My gun would only function as a single shot, since the rounds failed to eject. I had to stop due to a gun malfunction, and of course, was not allowed a reshoot.

Somehow, the door hitting the slide caused enough pressure with the jam to torque the extractor enough to lose the proper extractor tension. I have no idea how this could have happened, but it did. Since I zeroed the stage, I withdrew from the match, since I was hoping to win the A class. I was doing very well until that disaster stage and it took the wind out of my sails!

·
Registered
998 Posts

1: My firing pin stop and extractor are slightly loose.

2: Also while reading this thread I looked up ejector replace/tune and noticed mine is loose in a vertical plane about 1/32 " .

Is this a problem?

as far as extractor tuning, mine bends easily and is definitely Not spring steel. That seems like a bad idea.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A fp stop is a bit loose,thats normal.Althoug I installed a new one to be quite tight.
The extractor is normally a snug fit.
The ejector should be rock solid in the frame.
This is the case on my pistol.

·
Registered
998 Posts
extractor

Thanks I just bent/tuned my extractor and now it fits tight. Will check it out today.

Ejector is still loose though . I did find on Blindhoggs page that the ejector should be staked and locktighted . Mine is forced up slightly while the slide is going back when it strikes the rd. might need a new one. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts