1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really enjoy taking my time and thoroughly cleaning my guns after every time I use them. And sometimes when I haven't used them. I usually remove the firing pin, and extractor and clean the channels, and get the extractor claw/hook absolutely spotless - In my experience, the extractor is the leading cause for failures in the 1911 design, so I feel better inspecting/cleaning it every time.

Is there a downside to doing this? I mean, does pushing the extractor thru the channel for removal tweak it or mis-adjust it in any way? Should this not be done as frequently?

·
Registered
94 Posts
One of the things I do religiously, even when I merely field-strip the gun, is to remove the extractor to clean both it and the channel. Extractor and extractor channel get filthy after a range session. It's especially important to keep the extractor hook clean and free of the hard grunge that accumulates there, and the only way I can do that is by slipping out the extractor from its channel.

I haven't encountered any failure to extract yet with the ammo I use...

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
White Trash said:
Is there a downside to doing this? I mean, does pushing the extractor thru the channel for removal tweak it or mis-adjust it in any way? Should this not be done as frequently?
Depends, it could. On mine, I always use a wooden tool to push the tip back as I pull it out to keep from tearing up the tip as it goes back into the channel. I don't really know any reason to keep taking it in and out if it is holding tension. I clean mine with a narrow nylon brush on the exterior, and spray gunscrubber into the channel to keep the crud out of there. Just don't oil that channel and it will stay clean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts