1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a lot of failures to extract yesterday when using new mags. My old factory (Dan Wesson) mag worked fine, but has much lower spring tension than the new Wilson Combat mags. It appeared the extractor had enough tension to pull the case out against low magazine tension, but not enough when fighting more pressure from the next round.

So today I tore the slide down and tested the extractor with a cartidge, the extractor holds the rim so weakly that a case cannot remain under the extractor claw, simply falls free.

**Not only is there no tension holding the case against the far side, there is also a significant gap between the case and the face of the slide

I adjusted the extractor slightly by bending it, there is now enough tension to pin the case against the far side of the slide and retain a case, but the gap at the rear remains. Is this good? Is there supposed to be such a large gap between the case and the slide face? Did I overadjust the extractor, now that it can pin the case against the slide?

Thanks-
Shane

Some pics-

After adjusting, it will now hold a case even when slightly shaken (not stirred)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I adjusted it 10 minutes ago, still have not assembled the pistol. I was concerned that I over-adjusted to pin the case in the slide. Also if the gap is uncommon, I'll be ordering a new extractor.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
Geo Smith at EGW figures .075" of hook protrusion is optimum for a .45; that's about 1.5 times the thickness of a case rim. The only extractor that is going to have meaningfully less protrusion than the stock one is the new, redesigned extractor from EGW.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so the gap is fine. I assembled the pistol and did a function test, everything seems to be fine hand-cycling a few rounds.

As I think about it, there should be room for the rim to be angled and still captured by the extractor, so the gap make sense.

What are the symptoms of a too-tight extractor?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Guys:
Looking at SCW's photo, I was under the impression that when testing extractor tension, the case has to rest against the breechface. That's how I've done it in the past. If I can't get the case flush against the breechface, I modify the extractor and then re-tension. Am I correct?

Regards,

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
NO. When a case is extracted from the chamber it will NOT be flush against the breechface. test extractor tension with your barrel in the slide, simulate extraction and see where the case ends up.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I finally bit the bullet (so to speak) and bought the Weigand extractor gage and little bending tool. My life has been much easier since then. If you're going to shoot the M1911 much you need this gage and tool.

-- Chuck

·
Banned
38 Posts
extractor gauge

i made myself one of these tools , i works great, not as prety but $30.00 cheaper, i will buy a tension gauge next time i order from brownells.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I have a new 1991 NRM Commander with ejection issues....so I took the slide off the frame and also have a seemingly large gap between the breech face and edge of cartridge rim.

I did pull the slide off of an Ed Brown and the gap seems to be that same between the two guns....:scratch:

The tension on the 2 different gun's extractors seemed to be similar.

Not sure how to cure the erratic ejection in that Commander so if anyone has any tips, let me know. Maybe extractor has too much tension??

·
Super Moderator
22,285 Posts
Stock extractors in a stock gun will protrude "too far" from the breechface. Based on my experiences with a half-dozen .45s, and a dozen extractors, with the case head against the breechface, the extractor hook WILL climb the case bevel, and WILL be cammed away from the rim (not surprisingly, the affect seems much less obvious on a U.S.G.I. pistol). You can't adjust the tension that way. You can minimize the effect by filing an angle on the extractor hook that corresponds to the angle of the case bevel, but you don't want to much shorten or weaken the hook. It's sort of a juggling act, in my experience, trying to get good fit and good tension. The EGW extractor helps, as it place the hook about .015" closer to the breechface.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
RickB said:
Stock extractors in a stock gun will protrude "too far" from the breechface. Based on my experiences with a half-dozen .45s, and a dozen extractors, with the case head against the breechface, the extractor hook WILL climb the case bevel, and WILL be cammed away from the rim (not surprisingly, the affect seems much less obvious on a U.S.G.I. pistol). You can't adjust the tension that way. You can minimize the effect by filing an angle on the extractor hook that corresponds to the angle of the case bevel, but you don't want to much shorten or weaken the hook. It's sort of a juggling act, in my experience, trying to get good fit and good tension. The EGW extractor helps, as it place the hook about .015" closer to the breechface.
The only problem is that I have not seen a Series 80 version of that new EGW extractor. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
22,285 Posts
I have one in a Series 80 gun, but, yeah, you have to decide which is necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
freshmeat

Hey guys, I am new to the 1911 but I am diving right in. I have a 1911 composed of several different manufactures built by my grandfather. I am also embarking on a remodel job and the first thing is the extractor. It is painfull to shoot this gun without a helmet and a face mask. almost every round ends up in my face or on my head or even worse down my shirt. Is this time for a new extractor or is it simply a tension issue? I will say when I dissasembled the slide and removed the extractor it came out really easy. Any advise?

·
Registered
641 Posts
crenshaw
Start with tuning the extractor, (Many articles on the web) if that does not do it get an extended ejector and tune it.
Good luck
Chris

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
SCW, sounds like you got it. Should be better next time you shoot it. I don't waste money on a special extractor "bending" tool, just use the slide of the pistol, bend it that way. Works for me...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts