1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today with my new 1991A1. All went well except where the brass was flying. 400 rounds went down range with only 2 failures to feed. 230 gr. ball, 200 gr. lead SWC, 185 gr.lead SWC, and some real short 185 gr. Berry plated bullets. The Colt ate them all even when mixed in the same mag. Now the only problem was, the brass was flying over my head and once in a while would hit me square in the forehead. The two failures to feed were not under the extractor hook, but were at a angle, bullet nose off to the side and was the last round in the mag. I guess my question is; Is there too much tension or too little tension on the extractor? I pulled the extractor out of the slide and polished the hook and bottom of the part, but I don't know if I need to add tension or remove tension. Thanks in advance for any help.

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Shootist."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the same problem. I have a Colt Officer's model and run into fialure to feeds once I get around the 70 or 80 round mark. The spent round never clears the barrel and the new round is jamed against it. Its relaly a blast to try and clear this jam since it takes two hands and some strong fingers. Does anyone know the cause/solution. also, regaridng the ejected shells hitting you in the head, I ave no problem iwth this, but when my wife shoit my 1911 a few went over her head as well. Not saying you shoot like a girl, but I will check her grip next time and see if there is some common denominator.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I would associate the FTF possibly with too tight an extractor. However, did you happen to notice if the case rim was even up to the extractor yet? Or was the case rim against the breach face and the bullet nose against the top of the chamber?

As for getting hit in the head, that sounds like ejector angle or too loose an extractor.

Try removing the slide and barrel from the gun. Now with just the slide, (no barrel), try slipping a loaded cartridge under the extractor against the breach face. Does the cartridge rim slip under the extractor without too much pressure? The extractor should be able to hold a loaded round while you rotate the slide along its long axis 360 degrees without the cartridge falling out. Next move the cartridge down about 1/8 inch. This is the approximate position the case would be in when the barrel unlocks from the slide and tips down for ejection. Do you still feel some holding of the case by the extractor? There should be at least some force from the extractor at this point so that the case can be fully extracted and hit against the ejector.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You might want to try a new mag spring as well...Keep track of what yer' changin' out, so the log book shows the culprit when you find him

Have fun...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Part of your problem could be extractor clocking. The extractor rotates in its channel so that the claw contacts the case at a slightly different angle each shot. This could result in the empty going to the right on one shot, and in your face the next. Here's a link:
http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

You can get oversize firing pin stops that will stop the extractor clocking. The new stop will have to be fitted as the article suggests.

Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts