1911Forum banner

extractor question

1411 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  PK
I haven't recieved any responses from two other sections of this forum so I thought that I would come to the professionals--the Gunsmiths!

How many rounds fired does the average, high quality extractor last?

I had my cheap, cast extractor break. I ordered an Ed Brown Hardcore extractor. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance for any help/info/tips/advice,
gf
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Gunny,
If the extractor was installed and tuned correctly (no overbending and then bending back)you can expect up to 20,000 rounds on a good extractor. It really doesn't pay to use a cheap extractors as it is probably the most common cause of failure in 1911 style pistols. If you are a competition shooter it is a good idea to change extractors every season.
Gary
Gary,
Thank you for the reply. The cast extractor came stock with the gun and I heard that it would fail sooner or later. The Ed Brown extractor came in today. I can't wait to get back on the range. Thanks once again!

good shootin', gf
Gary, your comment about changing extractors every season is a serious argument for AFTEC extractors. I haven't had a failure to extract since I made the change.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.