1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a general question regarding a used 1911 I recently acquired. Note this my first 1911. When I removed the extractor there seemed to be abitof resistance, it doesn't slide in and out as nicely as I'd would like. Is this normal? Is it suppose to fit loosely? There is a slight curve to the extractor also. Is there a problem? Should it be replaced?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I'll save the experts some time - this is normal. If you ever get a 9mm 1911, those extractors are much harder to remove due to a more aggressive curve.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
It of course is entirely possible that somebody bent your extractor. Post up a picture and I am sure you will get more replies.

Btw, welcome to the 1911 addiction!!!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I have a general question regarding a used 1911 I recently acquired. Note this my first 1911. When I removed the extractor there seemed to be abitof resistance, it doesn't slide in and out as nicely as I'd would like. Is this normal? Is it suppose to fit loosely? There is a slight curve to the extractor also. Is there a problem? Should it be replaced?
If your extractor works, then it's fine as it is.
Some are loose, some are tight. No matter as long as it works.

Most of my 1911s the extractor has to be pried out, but I have a Springfield Range Officer where the extractor can be shaken out. Both work perfectly.

That curve in the extractor is normal.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
If it holds and round with the right amount of tension, how easy it slides in and out of the slide doesn't matter much although if it's difficult to remove a .45 extractor I would probably check tension to see if it's not over tensioned. It may be fine though.

It should also be noted that medium weight calipers will need extra force to be removed from the slide due to the extractor needing more bend due to a narrower breech face.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
What I have observed is that this situation typically occurs when material was removed from the tensioning wall to the degree that the adjustment pad behind the tensioning wall had to be reduced to prevent the extractor dropping empties. Those reductions in turn required that the extractor be bent more to regain proper tension. Too much tweaking by someone learning via experience. If the extractor works properly and you can live with it being difficult to remove, leave it alone. If you want it to be more easily removed, replace the extractor and properly tune the new one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys, from what I'm hearing here, the curve in the extractor is normal and the resistance in the channel varies from gun to gun, but there is no problem. I am going to replace it as well as some of the other internal parts as I don't know the shot count of this gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts