1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relative newbie here. I've spent lots of time behind 1911's, just left the tinkering to those who know better.....but its time to start learning more.

My new Springfield the last time out to the range had this rude habit of tossing hot brass back in my face upon occasion....it didn't do it consistently,,,,not really painful,,,but damn annoying.

Ideas? I'm sure you'll probably need more info to help troubleshoot,,,just let me know.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My new 2001 loaded does the same thing, always on the last round in the gun. Looks like the extractor has been radiused too much so when there is no round in the magazine to hold up the extracting round, the rear of the brass goes down into the mag and then the slide either jams on the round or the brass cartwheels out of the gun into your face. These brass usually are bent up from the slide smashing into them. I'm going to probably send mine back to Springfield, or just save the postage and get a wilson bulletproof extractor and stick it in myself.
Good luck

·
Registered
802 Posts
h4444

Locknload described it pretty well. That inconsistent ejection is usually extractor tension.
www.m1911.org has a section on adding tension to the extractor if you want to try it yourself. Sometimes a new extractor will solve the prob but it may need tensioning as well. HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts