1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wrestling with my extractor on my EFS for awhile now. I was having failures to extract with the original extractor so I put in a McCormick extractor. Then I got a ton of stovepipes and I found the new extractor had a sharp edge on it that was digging into the case and not letting it go. So I hit it with a couple of strokes with a file. I didn't change the shape at all, just removed the lip. Now it mostly runs fine. No more stovepipes. No more failures to extract. But now I occasionally get a round that comes up in front of the extractor instead of behind it, usually on the last round of the mag.

Anybody got any thoughts about this?

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
249 Posts
the ed brown extractors (hardcore) are the best, bar none. mcole

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ditto what MCOLE said. I replaced my original CD extractor with an Ed Brown Hardcore after about 6500rds. I had no problems installing the Ed Brown. It functions perfectly.

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I just bought an extractor and I'd rather make it work instead of buying another one.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
249 Posts
hey gunny,
this weekend decided to see if the fs would shoot anything other than round nose and silvertips. i got a box of hi-shok, hydra shok, personal defense, there were a couple others. it ate everything without a hiccup. who says the daly's won't shoot hollow points? mcole

·
Registered
39 Posts
To reiterate what I said and asked in the other thread...
"My Wilson Bullet-proof extractor arrived, and when I went to install it-damn, groove cut into extractor for FP stop was big. What a coincidence today. I think I will order the Wilson or Ed Brown FP and stop parts and go from there. I was not about to file down a Wilson extractor, especially warranted for life.
Another question- I cannot drift out the ejector pin out of the CD for the life of me-including the local gunsmith, who surmised the pin they used was *soft*......
Any takers???"

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey there MCOLE,
Glad to hear all is well with your FS. My FS continues to eat everything fed to it. Nice to see you still on the board. I have been hit and miss lately.

mikr,
Why do you want to mess with the ejector? I agree, those pins are a major pain. I haven't messed with the ejector in my CD yet. I detail strip regularly, but I leave that nasty little bugger alone.

AKM,
I understand you want to make the extractor you already purchased work. All we are saying is that no one has reported any problems using Ed Brown Hardcore extractors in CDs. For $20, I would buy another extractor.

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was trying to replace the ejector with a Wilson as that was the advice of my 'smith along with replacing the extractor-too many last round out of the magazines cases mouths' getting crushed.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
My experience is that if you have to screw around with an extractor to get it to function properly, it will always be a source of problems.

I'll toss in another vote to spend $20 on an Ed Brown. I've yet to have to adjust one of these.

[This message has been edited by Walking Point (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I had good luck with Wilson extractor. In fact that's what I have in all of my 1911s. The extractor on CD's seems to be the ussual grief for many owners( too soft?) including myself. Mine wore-out at about 700 rounds! 'Replaced it with Wilson's and no problems since then!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Perhaps the folks at KBI/CD ought to have a good look at these complaints? Seems to be on a somewhat fairly regular basis?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts