1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cleaned my Colt and found that my extractor has very little tension, not enough to hold a loaded round. It has 1000 rounds through it and has never jammed, should I adjust it or not worry?

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would replace it with a Wilson Combat Bullet-Proof extractor. Yes, they are more expensive, but they are worth it--lifetime warranty, to boot.

Billy Ray

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,001 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even if it seems to have little tension, it is obviously enough.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
HUH?

...That extractor test with the loaded round is just a guideline...If it's workin' don't start messin' with it...Buy a spare and use that one 'til it breaks or won't take an adjustment, otherwise don't break it lookin' for somethin' to do...shoot it instead...

If it does break you'll already have a spare...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Really Kevin, if the gun is working properly, leave it alone. An overly loose extractor would probably cause some ejection problems so you might keep a watch for that sort of thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information,I guess I will just keep shooting it until it fails, probably at the next IDPA match. Thats what happened last month with my new Kimber, never failed until I shot in the match, stove piped twice.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
When you say it has "never" jammed....does that also mean you have never g=had any feeding or ejection problems?

After re-reading the thread, did you fire this pistol for 200 or more rounds without cleaning or stopping at one stretch?
Really if you fired it 50 or 100 rds at a time 10 or more sessions, you haven't really put any pressure on it to know if it'll make it through a match anyway...

If a match is at least 100 to 140rds let's say, you have to have run at least that much through it with the same ammo that you'll be using and non-stop with no cleaning...I'm sure you've already done all that and are just now noticing the extractor tension...BTW, was that the first time you took the pistols' extractor out to check it?
If the picture is a little "murky" afer reading this post, maybe you better shoot another 500 or so through it real fast with the ammo and magazines etc, that you'll be using in the match and then you'll know the answers yourself...If that pistol hasn't been operated yet, in the same style it will in a match, there's no reason to believe it's ready anyway...

...Not to detract from anything you've done...Just a little "extra" to think about in case you've needed to do the break-in for defense and match use and haven't quite had the time yet..Might be a good time to hold an informal match with a friend for fun or...he whos' pistol jams first buys the ammo...That might help put a little "match" pressure on your piece!

Good Luck!
I'm anxious to hear how it all turns out!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin-64:
Thanks for the information,I guess I will just keep shooting it until it fails,
Hopefully not during a self defense situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's a competition piece used only for competition, buy a spare so you won't be out of a match due to gun failure. If this gun has any possibility of being used for defense please do have any doubts that "you" have put to rest by having the problem or problems corrected. It's a good piece of mind in that case.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I say horse hockey. If you want to be competitive than you will make your guns run as reliably as any carry piece.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by Robb:
Feedramp, you're right.

I guess this means he doesn't have to bother cleaning the gun either. After all, it still shoots! And, the extractor is still working well enough for the "last" shot he made.

You have a problem staring you in the face.

Fix the extractor.

You fix a squeaking fan belt before it goes, don't you?

Robb
An uncleaned gun isn't broken, just dirty.

Everyone has problems. The day I no longer have problems is the day I take my last breath. Taking the time to fix a non-existant problem is time taken away from the ones you have.

Nothing wrong with my extractor.

Never had a squeaking belt in my life. Strained a bit on Thanksgiving, maybe, but not squeaking.

Besides, I don't of anybody that knows how to stop a belt from squeaking. WD-40?

·
Registered
417 Posts
"Feedramp", adjust the tension, the squeaking will stop and the belt won't leave you hanging. Kind'a like an extractor out of whack.

Robb
Yep, that's how I do it. One notch is usually enough, unless the pumpkin pie is especially good. Then I hafta back it off a couple.

·
Registered
594 Posts
"Feedramp", adjust the tension, the squeaking will stop and the belt won't leave you hanging. Kind'a like an extractor out of whack.

Robb
I just stopped wearing them all together. Except my duty belt which I have to wear, but thats made of spandex.
WOO HOO!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gentlemen,

Perhaps there is a point being missed here; Did the extractor have tension before? If it did, and it is now less-tensioned, then adjust/replace it.
If it never had any more tension before than it has now, there is no problem.
When I tested the 30 guns for my latest book, I recorded the extractor tension of the guns. they ranged from an average of 42 ounces to zero. That's right, no recorded tension, and the guns (there were two of them as I recall) worked fine. There were several more with an average tension (Weigand gauge) under ten ounces.
If it is changing, it is going to fail. If it isn't changing, then there is no problem. As for your squeaking belts, diet and exercise.

Regards,
Patrick

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was the only time I have checked the tension, so I dont know if it had more tension when it was new. I have 1100 rounds through it now and still no problems.

------------------
Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts